Page 1 of 1

Skadden NY vs Kirkland NY for lit

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:57 am
by Anonymous User
Definitely want lit, but not completely set on anything in particular. Interested in white collar and securities. Like everyone else, I'd like a good work environment. I've heard both places are fratty, but don't know much beyond that about social environment. Any past/present associate insight would be great.

Edit: In favor of Kirkland is the training program, bigger bonuses and (possibly?) better work environment. In favor of Skadden is its WCC group (if I choose to go into it) and exit options. If anyone has anything to say that speaks to any of that, that would also be helpful.

Re: Skadden NY vs Kirkland NY for lit

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:23 pm
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:Definitely want lit, but not completely set on anything in particular. Interested in white collar and securities. Like everyone else, I'd like a good work environment. I've heard both places are fratty, but don't know much beyond that about social environment. Any past/present associate insight would be great.

Edit: In favor of Kirkland is the training program, bigger bonuses and (possibly?) better work environment. In favor of Skadden is its WCC group (if I choose to go into it) and exit options. If anyone has anything to say that speaks to that, that would also be helpful.
You don't "choose" WCC at Skadden, it chooses you. It's a really competitive group, and you should indicate interest in it early on. If you're into securities though, gen lit is an easy group to get.

Re: Skadden NY vs Kirkland NY for lit

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:26 pm
by somewhatwayward
Anonymous User wrote:You don't "choose" WCC at Skadden, it chooses you. It's a really competitive group, and you should indicate interest in it early on. If you're into securities though, gen lit is an easy group to get.
Could the person who posted this please PM me?

Re: Skadden NY vs Kirkland NY for lit

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:13 pm
by Anonymous User
I'm the anon from above. I see you're a rising 3L - were you a Skadden summer too? I don't want to out myself when I'm saying less-than-stellar things about my employer, but feel free to disagree with my assessment if you feel otherwise.

Re: Skadden NY vs Kirkland NY for lit

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:19 pm
by somewhatwayward
Anonymous User wrote:I'm the anon from above. I see you're a rising 3L - were you a Skadden summer too? I don't want to out myself when I'm saying less-than-stellar things about my employer, but feel free to disagree with my assessment if you feel otherwise.
No I did not summer at Skadden. I have a question about practice groups at Skadden, though. Not that I have any connections anyway, but I promise that I will not run to Skadden to tell them one of their future associates is talking abt them on TLS :D

Re: Skadden NY vs Kirkland NY for lit

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:08 pm
by Anonymous User
Anonymous User wrote:I'm the anon from above. I see you're a rising 3L - were you a Skadden summer too? I don't want to out myself when I'm saying less-than-stellar things about my employer, but feel free to disagree with my assessment if you feel otherwise.
Op here. Any insight you could give into life at the firm? A couple prospective summers told me they'd met some pretty miserable associates, although of course that happens everywhere.

Re: Skadden NY vs Kirkland NY for lit

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 pm
by Anonymous User
bump. If people voting have time to drop a line as to reasoning, that'd help too. Tbh, I got a better general feeling from Kirkland when I visited, but of course it's hard to know too much about a firm when you've only met ~6 people there.