Clerking from Fordham Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerking from Fordham

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:50 pm

So I'm a 2L at Fordham, just under top 10%, and I'm on a secondary journal. I'm really interested in a federal clerkship (prob SDNY) or state COA clerkship after law school. I know those stats aren't wildly impressive when it comes to getting a clerkship, but 1) Do I have a reasonable chance of a clerkship if those grades stay the same? 2) would writing a note substantially improve my chances? Thanks for the feedback!

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Clerking from Fordham

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am

You could get a clerkship somewhere, but probably not SDNY or NY COA. Getting published would definitely be a huge plus.

RowJimmy

New

Post by RowJimmy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:46 am

Definitely write a note. And the chances for your grades to go up are big...I jumped more than a .10 from a very high GPA already my second year at Fordham.

Still, no law review will cut against you. If not Urban, again, SDNY/COA are a long shot. Will probably want to be on the board, shoot for EIC. Best way to improve any slim chance at getting federal (maybe mag. if not art iii) with your stats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:53 am

OP here... would doing an externship with a federal judge next semester help my chances significantly?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here... would doing an externship with a federal judge next semester help my chances significantly?
If that federal judge will hire his externs as clerks, then I would say so.

Otherwise, most people are going to have some sort of judicial intern/extern experience, so no LR will really hurt you in the prestigious districts.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:17 pm

With your stats now, top 10 percent at Fordham and secondary journal, you have almost no shot at a COA anywhere, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Your best shot would be NY COAs but those are super competitive. The less competitive circuits are probably not very familiar with Fordham, which hurts you.

The good news is you have a year to improve your package. As has been metioned, get published, get your GPA up as much as possible, aim for EIC, etc. Externship can only help. If Fordham has an advanced legal research class, I'd recommend that altough it won't necessarily improve your chances. It will just help you once you get there. Good luck!

ETA: even if you don't improve your stats, apply anyway. You never know. Be sure to get an early start with seeking LORs and refining a writing sample.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”