Simpson or Skadden (NYC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

Simpson
64%
Skadden
36%

Total votes: 22

Anonymous User

Simpson or Skadden (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Both New York offices. Really unsure where to go. Probably leaning towards corporate work, but with no real specific practice area preferences.

I tend to be more sociable and really liked the people at Skadden on my visit, but wary of all the negativity I hear/read about. Especially because I'm definitely not a gunner, the type of person to chase the professor out the door after lecture, or to rush out for drinks after work. In that sense, Simpson seems like the safer choice. I definitely liked Simpson as well, but probably didn't click as well as at Skadden. Any advice out there?

Anonymous User

Re: Simpson or Skadden (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 pm

OP bump for any feedback at all

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP bump for any feedback at all
No feedback just yet. But, for your Skadden offer how far from your CB did you hear and around what time?

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Last edited by hopefullaw27 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm

If you haven't already, maybe go back for second visits?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm

The firms are so similar that going to the one you felt better "clicking" with is almost certainly the right answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:19 pm

OP here. Callback interview was Friday Aug. 17th, got the offer Wed. the 22nd. I suppose the issue I'm wrestling with is that, while I may have clicked socially with Skadden, that doesn't necessarily mean I'd enjoy being surrounded by gunners when I'm more of a "get my work done and get out" type of guy. And while I find it difficult to discount a firm simply based on rumors that it's an overly-aggressive factory, sweatshop, etc., that reputation does have to come from somewhere doesn't it? And could the same be said for Simpson?

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:31 pm

My only point of comparison is having interviewed with a bunch of other V10 firms prior to my decision to go to STB. If your mentality is "get your work done and leave" then I think STB is a great fit. Honestly, it probably isn't as social as some other firms (e.g. Skadden), which have reputations for being a bit more fratty, social, pick your adjective. However, the fact of the matter is that you don't sit with your group at STB, so no one knows/cares when you get in or when you leave. Naturally, they expect great work from you, but you won't be pressured to stay around needlessly just to show the nearby partner how hard of a worker you are.

Another thing to consider when comparing the firms is the selection of a practice area. I vaguely remember that Skadden makes you choose a practice area when you start (e.g. M&A, Cap Markets, Mass Torts, etc.). I could very well be mistaken. Whereas at STB, you merely choose whether you want to do Litigation or Corporate. At which point there is a rotation system within each category.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:15 pm

^
Skadden also has you do two rotations in corporate

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”