Army Corps of Engineers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Army Corps of Engineers

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 pm

I was wondering if any of you have worked or know anything about the COE. I'll be interviewing with them at OCI soon as a 3L. How do you guys like working there? Any word on which offices are better and are hiring?

Thanks.

anon168

Silver

Re: Army Corps of Engineers

Post by anon168 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering if any of you have worked or know anything about the COE. I'll be interviewing with them at OCI soon as a 3L. How do you guys like working there? Any word on which offices are better and are hiring?

Thanks.
Never worked there, but have litigated against and with the Corps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:54 pm

How was that?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm

They did screeners last year and then withdrew callbacks due to funding problems. I wouldn't count on it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:They did screeners last year and then withdrew callbacks due to funding problems. I wouldn't count on it.
Womp womp...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 am

Any information from anyone yet? Rejections, acceptances, other responses? I haven't heard anything yet, but they told me about a few weeks ago ago that they were making "final decisions," but I didn't know if they meant it as a final decision as to whether I ultimately got the job or not or a final decision about whether or not to refer me to the higher-ups in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any information from anyone yet? Rejections, acceptances, other responses? I haven't heard anything yet, but they told me about a few weeks ago ago that they were making "final decisions," but I didn't know if they meant it as a final decision as to whether I ultimately got the job or not or a final decision about whether or not to refer me to the higher-ups in DC.
Did you e-mail them to ask or was their update e-mail unsolicited?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am

I doubt they were final final decisions, since they are notorious for not giving offers until into the spring semester or even after people are taking the bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any information from anyone yet? Rejections, acceptances, other responses? I haven't heard anything yet, but they told me about a few weeks ago ago that they were making "final decisions," but I didn't know if they meant it as a final decision as to whether I ultimately got the job or not or a final decision about whether or not to refer me to the higher-ups in DC.
I did a screening interview in August and heard from the interviewer in early October that he was finalizing the packets from the interview to send to DC the following week (the deadline for the interviewers to send the packets to DC). He said to expect to hear something between Nov-Jan. My understanding is that the next step is an interview in DC (if selected) and then an interview at a district office (if selected, if there is an opening, and if you didn't exclude that location).

I know it's competitive, but I wish I had some idea of how many people applied and how many get through. I saw something that said last year they cancelled callbacks due to lack of jobs. I'm not getting my hopes up, even though I've very interested in the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:40 am

How competitive are these jobs normally? And would having an engineering degree give someone an edge?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:How competitive are these jobs normally? And would having an engineering degree give someone an edge?
Extremely competitive, like all other government jobs that get thousands of applications for 2-5 spots. Yes, an engineering degree would be helpful but it's not necessary at all.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 am

I looked at the online brochure for the COE honors program, and there was a photo of about 50 law student looking folks in front of a D.C.-ish building, so I gather that about 50 people make it through to the DC interviews.

Does anyone know how the process works? My first interview was at a regional law school job fair. But can't you apply straight to Washington? Or does everyone have to go through a screening interview first?

I wish I had an idea of how many people applied. I doubt it's thousands. At the job fair, which represented about 12 law schools, they interviewed about 18 people. At my school I know of only three people who applied.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How competitive are these jobs normally? And would having an engineering degree give someone an edge?
Extremely competitive, like all other government jobs that get thousands of applications for 2-5 spots. Yes, an engineering degree would be helpful but it's not necessary at all.
Would being a military spouse (to an Army Engineer) offer an edge like it does with DoD positions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 pm

hsprophet wrote: I wish I had an idea of how many people applied. I doubt it's thousands. At the job fair, which represented about 12 law schools, they interviewed about 18 people. At my school I know of only three people who applied.
About 20 or so people interviewed at my school, and more applied. They probably interview at most of the T20 or so plus job fairs. Then there are the people who applied directly and not through a school career services or job fair. I'd be surprised if it were less than at least several hundred, but wouldn't be shocked by 1,000.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:25 pm

We hope to complete our initial review and notify candidates of their status by email early in 2013. We anticipate scheduling interviews on a rolling basis, as positions come available.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
We hope to complete our initial review and notify candidates of their status by email early in 2013. We anticipate scheduling interviews on a rolling basis, as positions come available.
So does that mean no Washington interviews, just interviews at district offices with openings?

Does anyone know how they select openings for the honors program?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:03 pm

I e-mailed asking if they had an update. Got a reply saying they'll finish reviewing applications by the end of the year and will start interviewing on a rolling basis in 2013.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”