Federal Clerkships - Background Check Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Federal Clerkships - Background Check

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Do all federal judges require a background check? I don't have the worst background in the world but don't consider myself in the best shape for C&F, and I'm not excited for a judge I'm working with to see some of my skeletons. Any info from past/current clerks would be appreciated.

jess

Re: Federal Clerkships - Background Check

Post by jess » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Background checks are conducted by an external Federal agency. HR has no input with them regarding your status (besides making sure your answers are facially compliant). The federal investigators give HR their recommendation when the check is complete.

I'm guessing for clerkships it's just a regular check for public trust position? You really don't have much to worry about--their number one concern is whether someone has leverage over you which they could use for blackmail attempts. Investigator might try to intimidate you with a no-nonsense attitude but lol. I straight up told one that I smoked marijuana and nobody cared.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 pm

At what point is the background check for a federal clerkship conducted?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:49 pm

i was worried about this myself when i started my federal clerkship. i had a couple underage drinking violations and one arrest for driving with a suspended license. also my credit score was around 600. AFTER you are hired and usually around the time you start your clerkship, the HR dept takes your fingerprints and does criminal background check through the FBI central records. my judge did not run a credit check, although I've heard some of them ask HR to do that. but i think it's rare. i never heard anything back from HR after I gave them my info. i dont think theres a whole lot to worry about unless you've got some pretty serious convictions

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 pm

oh, for federal clerkships, they also run a state background check within the state you're clerking in. i kind of thought that was weird

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 am

I know of several DDC and EDVA judges who require their clerks to get a top secret security clearance. Outside of that, it's just a basic background check by HR that might not even get done until after you start working.

augusta1985

New

Post by augusta1985 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:31 pm

It usually happens during the first few weeks of your clerkship. For me, I got an email about 2 weeks in with a link to my HR docs. They seem to be pretty slow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”