Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 350768
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:" we send all of our summer associates abroad"
"*chuckle*..that's nice of you, what's her name?"
Interviewer cracks up, thought I crushed it

No cb
that's actually a super sexist comment.

User avatar
chuckbass

Platinum
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by chuckbass » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:" we send all of our summer associates abroad"
"*chuckle*..that's nice of you, what's her name?"
Interviewer cracks up, thought I crushed it

No cb
10/10 :lol:

User avatar
beepboopbeep

Gold
Posts: 1541
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:" we send all of our summer associates abroad"
"*chuckle*..that's nice of you, what's her name?"
Interviewer cracks up, thought I crushed it

No cb
Fricking impressive on the spot, I can only come up with this shit hours later in the shower

User avatar
UnamSanctam

Platinum
Posts: 7342
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:" we send all of our summer associates abroad"
"*chuckle*..that's nice of you, what's her name?"
Interviewer cracks up, thought I crushed it

No cb
that's actually a super sexist comment.
Live a little, Anon.

User avatar
El Pollito

Diamond
Posts: 20139
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by El Pollito » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:49 pm

i mean absolutely retarded thing to say, but funny

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:57 pm

My favorite part was "thought I crushed it."

Anonymous User
Posts: 350768
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:02 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:" we send all of our summer associates abroad"
"*chuckle*..that's nice of you, what's her name?"
Interviewer cracks up, thought I crushed it

No cb
Fricking impressive on the spot, I can only come up with this shit hours later in the shower
There's something about showering that makes me realize all the fuckups I made on interviews I thought I had done well in.

Today, for this one for a big lit firm, I was talking about the legality of marijuana (for a summer job) and the interviewer asked about whether it was limited by federal interstate commerce. I completely blanked out and said that I didn't think that came up. I'm pretty sure they were testing to see if I could remember Raich on the spot. In another one for a big V10's satellite, I emphasized my knowledge of the firm by talking about its centralized assignment system only to realize now that it probably came off as being less excited about working in the secondary market.

I bet these are the subtle things that explain why interviews people thought were "good conversations" end up as dings.

User avatar
beepboopbeep

Gold
Posts: 1541
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Today, for this one for a big lit firm, I was talking about the legality of marijuana (for a summer job) and the interviewer asked about whether it was limited by federal interstate commerce. I completely blanked out and said that I didn't think that came up. I'm pretty sure they were testing to see if I could remember Raich on the spot.
That's probably reading things too neurotically. It's true that it's an obvious/important point but IMO that just sounds like someone wanting to have a conversation about the argument rather than like a pop quiz or some shit. But obviously depends how it was asked.

User avatar
El Pollito

Diamond
Posts: 20139
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by El Pollito » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:54 am

lol who the fuck asks about the commerce clause

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 350768
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:28 am

Not mine but one of my classmates went in for a screen. First thing the interviewer said to him was, "Where'd you get that tie? At a homeless shelter?" Classmate must have felt so bad and left early. I know this cuz I was right after him and waited outside 10 mins before mine. Turns out the said classmate wasn't even in the room by the time I went in...and our interviews were back to back. The interviewer was quite rude, abrasive, somewhat unprofessional, and cursed a lot.

User avatar
UnamSanctam

Platinum
Posts: 7342
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:50 am

El Pollito wrote:i mean absolutely retarded thing to say, but funny
OFS

gulc1924

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by gulc1924 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:05 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:" we send all of our summer associates abroad"
"*chuckle*..that's nice of you, what's her name?"
Interviewer cracks up, thought I crushed it

No cb
I'm a woman and I think this is pretty hilarious

User avatar
baal hadad

Gold
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by baal hadad » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:08 am

I'm glad the poster said it Bc I thought it was funny

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


gulc1924

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by gulc1924 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:09 am

El Pollito wrote:lol who the fuck asks about the commerce clause
interviewer has no chill

gulc1924

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by gulc1924 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:12 am

After I made this comment I was SURE there would be no callback..

I come into the room and interviewer is already sitting down. We chat about rowing (I rowed in college) and she mentions she was a coxswain. Coxswains are usually pretty short. We both stand up as the interview comes to and end, and I say "Wow! You are pretty short!" ....
I wanted to slap myself as soon as I said it.
Luckily she was cool about it and we both kind of laughed about our differing heights.

GOT A CALLBACK.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not mine but one of my classmates went in for a screen. First thing the interviewer said to him was, "Where'd you get that tie? At a homeless shelter?" Classmate must have felt so bad and left early. I know this cuz I was right after him and waited outside 10 mins before mine. Turns out the said classmate wasn't even in the room by the time I went in...and our interviews were back to back. The interviewer was quite rude, abrasive, somewhat unprofessional, and cursed a lot.
This is hilarious.

DJ JD

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by DJ JD » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:" we send all of our summer associates abroad"
"*chuckle*..that's nice of you, what's her name?"
Interviewer cracks up, thought I crushed it

No cb
Fricking impressive on the spot, I can only come up with this shit hours later in the shower
There's something about showering that makes me realize all the fuckups I made on interviews I thought I had done well in.

Today, for this one for a big lit firm, I was talking about the legality of marijuana (for a summer job) and the interviewer asked about whether it was limited by federal interstate commerce. I completely blanked out and said that I didn't think that came up. I'm pretty sure they were testing to see if I could remember Raich on the spot. In another one for a big V10's satellite, I emphasized my knowledge of the firm by talking about its centralized assignment system only to realize now that it probably came off as being less excited about working in the secondary market.

I bet these are the subtle things that explain why interviews people thought were "good conversations" end up as dings.
I'll be honest with you, at least on the first example... I'm pretty sure I would never want to work for someone who asks about the Commerce clause during an interview.

They did you a favor by dinging you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
baal hadad

Gold
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by baal hadad » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:27 am

gulc1924 wrote:After I made this comment I was SURE there would be no callback..

I come into the room and interviewer is already sitting down. We chat about rowing (I rowed in college) and she mentions she was a coxswain. Coxswains are usually pretty short. We both stand up as the interview comes to and end, and I say "Wow! You are pretty short!" ....
I wanted to slap myself as soon as I said it.
Luckily she was cool about it and we both kind of laughed about our differing heights.

GOT A CALLBACK.
That's not that bad that's pretty cool

Anonymous User
Posts: 350768
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Why you are thinking about seeking a job in our market instead of where your school is at?

--started talking shit about my school and the city, and even used the word "city girl". I visibly saw the change of color on the interviewer's face. I did not know that city girl might mean ghetto girl in certain places.
that was my first interview. then I started to realize interviews are not the places for me to make friends or play cute, its the place where people are expecting stardardized answers and if you fall below that criteria, that will make their crossing you out easier than others.

User avatar
El Pollito

Diamond
Posts: 20139
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by El Pollito » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why you are thinking about seeking a job in our market instead of where your school is at?

--started talking shit about my school and the city, and even used the word "city girl". I visibly saw the change of color on the interviewer's face. I did not know that city girl might mean ghetto girl in certain places.
that was my first interview. then I started to realize interviews are not the places for me to make friends or play cute, its the place where people are expecting stardardized answers and if you fall below that criteria, that will make their crossing you out easier than others.
k-jd?

Anonymous User
Posts: 350768
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Friend of mine was interviewing at a V10 and talking about his summer job at a boutique and mentioned a well known client he had worked with, interviewer immediately goes "so why's he working with a crummy little firm like that?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 350768
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:27 pm

PennBull wrote:Is Jones Day asking people their LSAT scores again?
haha yes, they asked me

FluffMonster

Gold
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by FluffMonster » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Worst interview I've had turned into a callback ironically enough. There were so many things that I thought went wrong. At one point, the interviewer asked me my favorite contracts concept. I totally blanked and made some dumb general statement about how contracts are such a huge component of everyday life and rambled about implied contracts in products... the interviewer was like "That's torts, but we'll move on." I tried to get a joke in at one point to lighten the mood and it did NOT land well. He responded with "I'm not going to argue with you" and then just moved on to the next question.

User avatar
baal hadad

Gold
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by baal hadad » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:40 pm

FluffMonster wrote:Worst interview I've had turned into a callback ironically enough. There were so many things that I thought went wrong. At one point, the interviewer asked me my favorite contracts concept. I totally blanked and made some dumb general statement about how contracts are such a huge component of everyday life and rambled about implied contracts in products... the interviewer was like "That's torts, but we'll move on." I tried to get a joke in at one point to lighten the mood and it did NOT land well. He responded with "I'm not going to argue with you" and then just moved on to the next question.
I'm going to need to know what the concept was

Anonymous User
Posts: 350768
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:53 pm

Interviewer talked the whole time. One of the few times I got a word in, I stupidly mentioned something about partners making a lot of money. Got a CB.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”