Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 357503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Icculus wrote:Yes, totally worth throwing away a potential offer to get at some socially awkward and probably snobby associate. Odds are you got no offered for some other reason, but why risk it in this economy? I mean we have people on here who took the blame for parter's passing horrific gas in order to get a job. WHere is your dedication?
I was actually interviewing with the firm out of a sense of obligation (long story). I had no intention of working there.

User avatar
Icculus

Silver
Posts: 1410
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Icculus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:Yes, totally worth throwing away a potential offer to get at some socially awkward and probably snobby associate. Odds are you got no offered for some other reason, but why risk it in this economy? I mean we have people on here who took the blame for parter's passing horrific gas in order to get a job. WHere is your dedication?
I was actually interviewing with the firm out of a sense of obligation (long story). I had no intention of working there.
Ah, this changes everything. And I agree with the following:
Tanicius wrote:At the end of the lunch you should have finally turned to the girl and asked where she went to school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 357503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Firm wanted to interview me. I asked them if they were okay splitting costs with the three other firms, they said no, but they'd interview me if I was going to be in town anyways. I laughed and told the recruiting woman, "So you're only going to interview me on someone else's dime? I don't think that's how these things work."

Ding letter. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.

071816

Platinum
Posts: 5507
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by 071816 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Tanicius wrote:At the end of the lunch you should have finally turned to the girl and asked where she went to school.
I think you should've pretended like you had never heard of Harvard and said something like "Harvard? Never heard of it. Which state is it in?"

User avatar
nevdash

Bronze
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by nevdash » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 pm

chimp wrote:
Tanicius wrote:At the end of the lunch you should have finally turned to the girl and asked where she went to school.
I think you should've pretended like you had never heard of Harvard and said something like "Harvard? Never heard of it. Which state is it in?"
Then ask her where she went to undergrad and, if it was Penn, throw in a UPenn State jab.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
Old Gregg

Platinum
Posts: 5410
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Firm wanted to interview me. I asked them if they were okay splitting costs with the three other firms, they said no, but they'd interview me if I was going to be in town anyways. I laughed and told the recruiting woman, "So you're only going to interview me on someone else's dime? I don't think that's how these things work."

Ding letter. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.
Sounds like they made a wise decision.

User has been outed and warned.

Myself

Silver
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Post by Myself » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitter178

Silver
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by glitter178 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Firm wanted to interview me. I asked them if they were okay splitting costs with the three other firms, they said no, but they'd interview me if I was going to be in town anyways. I laughed and told the recruiting woman, "So you're only going to interview me on someone else's dime? I don't think that's how these things work."

Ding letter. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.
You showed them!

User has been outed and warned.

Anonymous User
Posts: 357503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firm wanted to interview me. I asked them if they were okay splitting costs with the three other firms, they said no, but they'd interview me if I was going to be in town anyways. I laughed and told the recruiting woman, "So you're only going to interview me on someone else's dime? I don't think that's how these things work."

Ding letter. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.
Sounds like they made a wise decision.

User has been outed and warned.
Yea. I should have lied on my NALP form to save that firm a few bucks. Career services recommended that I withdraw my application, since their offer to interview me only if someone else paid for it was clearly against NALP guidelines.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


NotMyRealName09

Silver
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Work shitting blowouts are the worst.

User avatar
ben4847

Silver
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by ben4847 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firm wanted to interview me. I asked them if they were okay splitting costs with the three other firms, they said no, but they'd interview me if I was going to be in town anyways. I laughed and told the recruiting woman, "So you're only going to interview me on someone else's dime? I don't think that's how these things work."

Ding letter. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.
Sounds like they made a wise decision.

User has been outed and warned.
Yea. I should have lied on my NALP form to save that firm a few bucks. Career services recommended that I withdraw my application, since their offer to interview me only if someone else paid for it was clearly against NALP guidelines.
No, you should have swallowed a quarter of the expenses.

adammac17

Bronze
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by adammac17 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Last cb of the oci season: during my second interview I forgot the name of my oci interviewer and described him as "an older bald guy with an odd sense of humor". Not bad, she laughed and said no big deal

Few minutes later I started hearing faint music but thought nothing of it - maybe in the office next to hers. But it kept getting louder. Finally she asked if I heard it too. "Yeah, it's been getting louder....wait, I think.....oh, it's my phone" (playing lil Wayne on pandora)

Needless to say, I'm waiting anxiously by my phone for dat offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 357503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:02 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firm wanted to interview me. I asked them if they were okay splitting costs with the three other firms, they said no, but they'd interview me if I was going to be in town anyways. I laughed and told the recruiting woman, "So you're only going to interview me on someone else's dime? I don't think that's how these things work."

Ding letter. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.
Sounds like they made a wise decision.

User has been outed and warned.
Yea. I should have lied on my NALP form to save that firm a few bucks. Career services recommended that I withdraw my application, since their offer to interview me only if someone else paid for it was clearly against NALP guidelines.
No, you should have swallowed a quarter of the expenses.
They aren't worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
20130312

Gold
Posts: 3814
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by 20130312 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:17 pm

adammac17 wrote:Last cb of the oci season: during my second interview I forgot the name of my oci interviewer and described him as "an older bald guy with an odd sense of humor". Not bad, she laughed and said no big deal

Few minutes later I started hearing faint music but thought nothing of it - maybe in the office next to hers. But it kept getting louder. Finally she asked if I heard it too. "Yeah, it's been getting louder....wait, I think.....oh, it's my phone" (playing lil Wayne on pandora)

Needless to say, I'm waiting anxiously by my phone for dat offer.
Wait, your phone or hers?

adammac17

Bronze
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by adammac17 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
adammac17 wrote:Last cb of the oci season: during my second interview I forgot the name of my oci interviewer and described him as "an older bald guy with an odd sense of humor". Not bad, she laughed and said no big deal

Few minutes later I started hearing faint music but thought nothing of it - maybe in the office next to hers. But it kept getting louder. Finally she asked if I heard it too. "Yeah, it's been getting louder....wait, I think.....oh, it's my phone" (playing lil Wayne on pandora)

Needless to say, I'm waiting anxiously by my phone for dat offer.
Wait, your phone or hers?
Alas it was my phone. Played it off as well as I could but……

Anonymous User
Posts: 357503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Screener. Had just transferred from lower T1 with LSAT median around 163 to MVP. Interviewer says something that basically is like "haha now you can go around and tell people you got a 175 on your LSAT and no one will know you're lying." Dumb thing of him to say, and I think he realized as it came out of his mouth that he probably shouldn't say that. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I couldn't let it go. Should have just been like, "yeah, it's nice to be here" and moved on.

Instead, I blurted out "I got a 177."

Silence. Awkward silence.

No CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 357503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:16 am

Callback in secondary market. The white, fratty partner and I are in his office having a pleasant conversation about football that has lasted for a good fifteen minutes. The discussion turns to basketball, at which point he says, "Yeah, just the other day I drove my daughters out to a basketball tournament in the area where you're originally from. Here, take a look at this picture of my daughters at the tournament." He proceeds to pick up the framed photograph and points to his daughters.

The photograph shows him and his white wife standing behind his two black daughters. I say, "Yep, there's my high school's gym. You have a beautiful family. It's really great you adopted. That's a noble thing to do." Awkward pause and long stare from partner.

Partner says, "They are actually my biological children. My first wife died in a car wreck a few years ago."

No offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


adammac17

Bronze
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by adammac17 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Screener. Had just transferred from lower T1 with LSAT median around 163 to MVP. Interviewer says something that basically is like "haha now you can go around and tell people you got a 175 on your LSAT and no one will know you're lying." Dumb thing of him to say, and I think he realized as it came out of his mouth that he probably shouldn't say that. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I couldn't let it go. Should have just been like, "yeah, it's nice to be here" and moved on.

Instead, I blurted out "I got a 177."

Silence. Awkward silence.

No CB.
Are you Joefish? Cuz you sound like him
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman

Platinum
Posts: 5529
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Screener. Had just transferred from lower T1 with LSAT median around 163 to MVP. Interviewer says something that basically is like "haha now you can go around and tell people you got a 175 on your LSAT and no one will know you're lying." Dumb thing of him to say, and I think he realized as it came out of his mouth that he probably shouldn't say that. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I couldn't let it go. Should have just been like, "yeah, it's nice to be here" and moved on.

Instead, I blurted out "I got a 177."

Silence. Awkward silence.

No CB.
Are you Joefish? Cuz you sound like Joefish irl.......god were glad you transfered
Good anon use, brother.

User avatar
sunynp

Gold
Posts: 1875
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by sunynp » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Callback in secondary market. The white, fratty partner and I are in his office having a pleasant conversation about football that has lasted for a good fifteen minutes. The discussion turns to basketball, at which point he says, "Yeah, just the other day I drove my daughters out to a basketball tournament in the area where you're originally from. Here, take a look at this picture of my daughters at the tournament." He proceeds to pick up the framed photograph and points to his daughters.

The photograph shows him and his white wife standing behind his two black daughters. I say, "Yep, there's my high school's gym. You have a beautiful family. It's really great you adopted. That's a noble thing to do." Awkward pause and long stare from partner.

Partner says, "They are actually my biological children. My first wife died in a car wreck a few years ago."

Dude. That was just the most cringeworthy thing to do. I would have wanted the floor to swallow me up right there. I feel your embarrassment through the computer.

I guess you know by now: never make those kinds of statements. I dont care if the o partner is one of those Duggar family people - no remarks except what a great family.
No offer.

User avatar
crazycanuck

Gold
Posts: 3493
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by crazycanuck » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Callback in secondary market. The white, fratty partner and I are in his office having a pleasant conversation about football that has lasted for a good fifteen minutes. The discussion turns to basketball, at which point he says, "Yeah, just the other day I drove my daughters out to a basketball tournament in the area where you're originally from. Here, take a look at this picture of my daughters at the tournament." He proceeds to pick up the framed photograph and points to his daughters.

The photograph shows him and his white wife standing behind his two black daughters. I say, "Yep, there's my high school's gym. You have a beautiful family. It's really great you adopted. That's a noble thing to do." Awkward pause and long stare from partner.

Partner says, "They are actually my biological children. My first wife died in a car wreck a few years ago."

No offer.
Ah bro, I feel for you. Never make comments like that. Should have stopped after "you have a beautiful family" that's like congratulating an interviewer on being pregnant before she says she pregnant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
JoeFish

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by JoeFish » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:22 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Screener. Had just transferred from lower T1 with LSAT median around 163 to MVP. Interviewer says something that basically is like "haha now you can go around and tell people you got a 175 on your LSAT and no one will know you're lying." Dumb thing of him to say, and I think he realized as it came out of his mouth that he probably shouldn't say that. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I couldn't let it go. Should have just been like, "yeah, it's nice to be here" and moved on.

Instead, I blurted out "I got a 177."

Silence. Awkward silence.

No CB.
Are you Joefish? Cuz you sound like Joefish irl.......god were glad you transfered
Good anon use, brother.
Ah wow thanks Bildungsroman for preserving how much of a champ this guy is

Edit: felt like it deserved this too: :roll:

User avatar
dingbat

Gold
Posts: 4974
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by dingbat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:21 am

JoeFish wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Good anon use, brother.
Ah wow thanks Bildungsroman for preserving how much of a champ this guy is

Edit: felt like it deserved this too: :roll:
it's his shtick

User avatar
Old Gregg

Platinum
Posts: 5410
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firm wanted to interview me. I asked them if they were okay splitting costs with the three other firms, they said no, but they'd interview me if I was going to be in town anyways. I laughed and told the recruiting woman, "So you're only going to interview me on someone else's dime? I don't think that's how these things work."

Ding letter. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.
Sounds like they made a wise decision.

User has been outed and warned.
Yea. I should have lied on my NALP form to save that firm a few bucks. Career services recommended that I withdraw my application, since their offer to interview me only if someone else paid for it was clearly against NALP guidelines.

You're missing the point. You could have politely declined rather than laughed at the recruiter. The firm did something bad here and you managed to still come out of it not taking the higher ground.

User avatar
sunynp

Gold
Posts: 1875
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by sunynp » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:05 am

JoeFish wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Screener. Had just transferred from lower T1 with LSAT median around 163 to MVP. Interviewer says something that basically is like "haha now you can go around and tell people you got a 175 on your LSAT and no one will know you're lying." Dumb thing of him to say, and I think he realized as it came out of his mouth that he probably shouldn't say that. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I couldn't let it go. Should have just been like, "yeah, it's nice to be here" and moved on.

Instead, I blurted out "I got a 177."

Silence. Awkward silence.

No CB.
Are you Joefish? Cuz you sound like Joefish irl.......god were glad you transfered
Good anon use, brother.
Ah wow thanks Bildungsroman for preserving how much of a champ this guy is

Edit: felt like it deserved this too: :roll:
Isn't there some rule about not calling people out anonymously?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”