Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:26 pm

I’m pretty easy to talk to and tend to hit it off with most people, but I think this person didn’t like me from the moment I came in their room.

Interviewer: long, convoluted question
Me: answer part of it - pause for a moment
Interviewer: Well, I actually asked you ____ and ____.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Bumping with two recent ones. Both are from lunches with two associates:

Associate mentions they were recently accepted to practice in West Virginia and that they get some weird cases in their practice area (employment) from the state. I respond by telling them that one of my best friends worked for a firm in WV this summer, and that we'd joke they'd come back missing all their teeth. Associate gives me one of those "not amused, but feel like I have to laugh anyway" chuckles. Haven't heard back from firm.

Different lunch at different firm. Most entrees on the menu are between $25-40; I've settled on something about $30. Both associates order first, and both order something only around $15. Changing my order at the last minute, I order a burger around the same price point. It comes and it is covered in some thick, creamy sauce that falls out all over my plate as soon as I pick it up. The burger itself is delicious but is an absolute mess. Every bite I take I have to wipe off my mouth and fingers because of how much sauce this damn burger has on it. My black napkin is looking like an abstract painting with how much of this white sauce I've had to smear on it, and I keep making minor adjustments to my plate's position to hide the couple of times it's dripped on the table cloth. I couldn't even finish the burger because by the end, my plate was so covered that the bottom bun had pretty much dissolved. Thankfully my suit stayed clean. Offer two days later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:24 am

screener gone wrong. Was killing the game until this

Interviewer: Silicon Valley is full of dumb money and has been for years.

Me: Totally agree. my friend [he was my fraternity "big bro"] started a company with [insert business model] and it seemed strange to me why customers would use that service, but someone bought it from him anyway.

Interviewer: They're a client of ours.

Me: ...I now regret sharing that.

Interviewer then defends their business passionately. No CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Reading through this thread makes me feel that "OCI interviewer" is a free pass to being an asshole.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”