Opinions Sought: Lowenstein NJ vs. Proskauer Newark Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Opinions Sought: Lowenstein NJ vs. Proskauer Newark

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Opinions Sought: Lowenstein NJ vs. Proskauer Newark

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:52 pm

I think Lowenstein is great if you want to live and practice in NJ. The name goes really far instate. I think over all Proskauer has better brand recognition. When you are ready to leave, and say you want to do employment lit at a firm in NY, the Proskauer name on your resume would help you more than Lowenstein. Commute wise you can catch the train to Newark. Not so much for Roseland. I would say only pick Lowenstien if you really could see yourself practicing and living in NJ at some point. P.S. I don't by the facetime comments. I think as a junior you would probably need to be around as much as possible. The associates I know there seem to be in the office pretty consistently, including weekends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:23 pm

If you can commit to labor and employment go with Proskauer. If you can't do that yet then go Lowenstein.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:27 pm

When did you receive your Proskauer offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Ye wasn't super saturday yesterday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Stats? School?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:08 pm

I had offers from both last year, among other firms. Only pick Proskauer if you are absolutely 100% sure you want to do L&E, and solely L&E. Lowenstein is obviously a regional NJ firm so the work will be more localized, but the same can be said for many of the matters Proskauer Newark handles (i.e. relatively localized L&E matters, albeit with some pretty cool clients, like all the local sports teams). The more national Proskauer clients likely aren't having their cases handled by the NJ office.

I ended up choosing a large national firm that does everything, since I was just short of being certain that L&E is for me. And in the end, L&E ended up still being my #1 area of interest, and what I will end up sticking with. So in retrospect, I could have picked Proskauer Newark and it would have been a great choice. But I think there is something to be said for being absolutely certain before you pick an area.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you can commit to labor and employment go with Proskauer. If you can't do that yet then go Lowenstein.
This.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you can commit to labor and employment go with Proskauer. If you can't do that yet then go Lowenstein.
And keep in mind that Lowenstein has a pretty strong L&E group itself

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:00 pm

If you decide on Lowenstein, it's probably best that you move to NJ and leave Brooklyn. I can't even begin to imagine how awful that would be as a commute and it's completely impossible without a car. That said, you probably shouldn't pick Proskauer if you are 100% L&E. Do you have any other full-service firm offers besides Lowenstein?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Friend of mine didn't want to move to jersey. He started working in the lowenstein sandler new york office.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks again for all your insight.

Keg: For personal reasons, moving from Brooklyn isn't going to happen, not for at least 5 years. Living here is fundamental to my happiness and moving to NJ for a firm wouldn't be worth it. I agree that the commute could be awful. I've talked to some of there associates that live in Manhattan and claim it isn't that bad, but I'm thinking for me it would likely be at least 1.5 hours each day. Probably a combination of public and car (train to NJ and pick up a car parked near a PATH station or Secaucus). If there was really no face time requirement, and I could work from home or the city 1-2 days every week, this wouldn't be so bad, but it sounds like that's not really the case.

4:19 Anon: Do you know if your friend's office was for the NJ office? If it was, did they offer to transfer him to New York as soon as he asked?
Commuting daily from Brooklyn to Lowenstein's NJ office is an absolutely awful idea, and you will regret it 100% within a few short period of time after starting there. Not sure what "living here is fundamental to my happiness" means.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Roseland is only short drive from Newark right off the highway, you can always keep a car in NJ just to commute from the station to the office if you don't want to choose L&E. I guess you should hope that other options come through.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:20 pm

I'd seriously consider moving to Jersey City or Hoboken either way (not too hard to get to Brooklyn for social occasions but way more reasonable commute), but definitely if you went with Lowenstein. If you're truly dead-set on staying in Brooklyn, I think Proskauer is the better choice. But Brooklyn to Newark really isn't a picnic of a commute either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:23 pm

I think I am dead-set on staying, but I'll think on it. I actually do Brooklyn to Newark for school. It's no picnic, but it's pretty tolerable. 55 minute door to door on average.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:27 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I'd seriously consider moving to Jersey City or Hoboken either way (not too hard to get to Brooklyn for social occasions but way more reasonable commute), but definitely if you went with Lowenstein. If you're truly dead-set on staying in Brooklyn, I think Proskauer is the better choice. But Brooklyn to Newark really isn't a picnic of a commute either.
Oh, I agree that Brooklyn to Newark isn't good, but it's impossible to do Brooklyn to Roseland without a car. You really may have to consider balancing your "personal happiness" with having a job that pays well. Not to mention that most of the exit options from Lowenstein are going to be in NJ. I suppose you could work in the NYC office, but it's tiny and your not going to make the same connections/get the same type of work as you are out of the NJ office. The NJ office is the firm's bread-and-butter.

And when young associates talk about "working from home", they mean "nights and weekends". They don't mean, "don't go into the office a few days a week."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”