Negotiating - Is this a thing? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Negotiating - Is this a thing?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 pm

I have a few NYC offers. One is to a v75 firm that I really like, is up-and-coming, and has a strong and growing practice area in a field I am strongly considering. The other is a v25 that has all the same positive attributes but is already much more of a household commodity. The v75 is notorious for waiting weeks to get back to people, and for not giving many offers to my school (T10)...I heard very quickly and was given the strong impression that I am their top candidate from my school.

So...the big question...is negotiating a thing? Can I say to them "i am very interested in your firm, but I am more interested in another. can you do anything to sweeten the deal?" I know that firms probably wouldn't increase your salary, since it goes against the lockstep principle, but what about a monthly COL stipend for housing, something like that? I mean, if they want you that badly, it's certainly possible, right? Or is it viewed as a universal negative?

any thoughts are appreciated

Anonymous User

Re: Negotiating - Is this a thing?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few NYC offers. One is to a v75 firm that I really like, is up-and-coming, and has a strong and growing practice area in a field I am strongly considering. The other is a v25 that has all the same positive attributes but is already much more of a household commodity. The v75 is notorious for waiting weeks to get back to people, and for not giving many offers to my school (T10)...I heard very quickly and was given the strong impression that I am their top candidate from my school.

So...the big question...is negotiating a thing? Can I say to them "i am very interested in your firm, but I am more interested in another. can you do anything to sweeten the deal?" I know that firms probably wouldn't increase your salary, since it goes against the lockstep principle, but what about a monthly COL stipend for housing, something like that? I mean, if they want you that badly, it's certainly possible, right? Or is it viewed as a universal negative?

LOL they don't want you THAT badly. So long as they get all the bodies that they think they need they couldn't care less if you personally came...

Watermelon Man

New

Post by Watermelon Man » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Couple possible scenarios:

(1) The hiring partner replies "sure, I'll sweeten the deal!"

(2) The hiring partner replies "uhhh [thinking to himself: I don't know why I gave this jackass an offer] no, ..."

Keep in mind these firms extended you an offer for summer employment. You still need to make a good impression to secure a full-time gig.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few NYC offers. One is to a v75 firm that I really like, is up-and-coming, and has a strong and growing practice area in a field I am strongly considering. The other is a v25 that has all the same positive attributes but is already much more of a household commodity. The v75 is notorious for waiting weeks to get back to people, and for not giving many offers to my school (T10)...I heard very quickly and was given the strong impression that I am their top candidate from my school.

Please do not do this.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:52 pm

This is undoubtedly a great idea. But I would be ready to play hardball. Partners negotiate a lot at work and know what they're doing. Showing a partner you can drive a hard bargain will show him you're worth the COL stipend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 pm

presh wrote:Even if you are their top choice from all the schools, I don't see why you think you have enough negotiating power to do this. They could replace you in a second with another LS dying to work for them.
but if your mentality is that you aren't going to work there unless they offer additional benefits, then if they say no and offer your position to another student, so be it...you weren't going to accept the offer as is anyway.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Are you crazy? You have two offers, you aren't the most brilliant lawyer they ever seen. They are already paying you a ton of money for an extended job interview. They aren't going to give you more money.

Honestly, you might need to consider your attitude and make sure you don't go into the summer with an arrogant attitude.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:35 pm

K-JD, eh?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:39 pm

If full time offers you can go ahead and negotiate. The only thing the firm is likely to be flexible on is practice group.

If SAs. Lol, no.

Edit: Actually, for your SA you may be able to negotiate a split if so inclined.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:19 am

An older student at my school negotiated a higher starting salary at a very good firm AFTER s/he got an offer, but other posters are right that SA recruiting isn't the time to bring that up.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:28 am

I got DAT 190K bro, and a corner office.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:33 am

I have an idea. Tell the other firm that you won't work there unless they make you partner immediately.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:I got DAT 190K bro, and a corner office.
Should've gone for a company car. OP, ask for a company car and report back, it's more reasonable than a COL stipend

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:36 am

stratocophic wrote:
Should've gone for a company car. OP, ask for a company car and report back, it's more reasonable than a COL stipend
Offered me a Lexus but I said BMW or I walk. I settled for the managing partners Condo.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Offered me a Lexus but I said BMW or I walk. I settled for the managing partners Condo.
his wife stays, i assume

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:57 am

fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
his wife stays, i assume
Dood of course not, I'm not sick. His daughter, she stays.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:
The whiney, fat, entitled daughter? You can do better, man.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
stratocophic wrote: Should've gone for a company car. OP, ask for a company car and report back, it's more reasonable than a COL stipend
his wife stays, i assume
Might want to renegotiate, I've got three life-changing words for you:

same
damn
time

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”