If a firm gives you a timeline at a callback... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If a firm gives you a timeline at a callback...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:18 pm

i.e., if someone from recruiting tells you at a callback that you'll hear back within X time, and you don't, should you call? E-mail? Recruiting specifically? Assume they're busy and give it a few extra days?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: If a firm gives you a timeline at a callback...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes, I guess either way I should frame it more as a generic LOCI than "X said I'd hear by X," right?

-OP

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 pm

I had a CB with a place 3 weeks ago, they said they would let me know at the beginning of September. I e-mailed them today asking about the status of my application and said I enjoyed meeting them and hoped to hear from them soon. 5 minutes later I got an e-mail ding. So take that as you will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Well I can't imagine you were dinged for that reason, especially if they told you you should hear about now?

-OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Sorry -- bumping this one more time. The reason I'm worried is because the time frame I was given was short. So I don't want to seem pushy. But I suppose if I e-mail the person who suggested this, it would be fine?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry -- bumping this one more time. The reason I'm worried is because the time frame I was given was short. So I don't want to seem pushy. But I suppose if I e-mail the person who suggested this, it would be fine?
Yes. If you haven't heard you're either (1) on a waitlist, or (2) your answer is in the mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:42 pm

I dont think emailing will ever change your fate. If you haven't heard it's because you are waitlist or ding. That said it can't hurt.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:26 pm

sounds like they gave you the cold shoulder.
it could be that they need more time, but most of the time, if they don't contact you within a certain period of time, you didnt get the job ( and they are waiting for someone to let them know if they accept or not before going to the next canidate)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:08 pm

I have three anecdotal responses to this:

(1) One firm I hadn't heard back from for about 2.5 weeks post-callback. I e-mailed their recruitment person and got an offer the next day.

(2) Another firm I hadn't heard from for a week after an OCI interview but I had been invited o the "not-callback-yet" dinner. I e-mailed my interviewers. Crickets. Not a word from either them or the recruiting dep't for 2 more weeks now.

(3) I interviewed last week and the recruitment office told me that I should hear back within a week from them but that, if I hadn't, I should get in contact with them. I told them that I had an offer that will expire in two weeks and they said they would be sure to speed up the process.

So, from that, all I can say is that it depends, but in my experience, it hasn't hurt (I doubt that in situation 2 above, I would've heard from them by now anyway).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have three anecdotal responses to this:

(1) One firm I hadn't heard back from for about 2.5 weeks post-callback. I e-mailed their recruitment person and got an offer the next day.

(2) Another firm I hadn't heard from for a week after an OCI interview but I had been invited o the "not-callback-yet" dinner. I e-mailed my interviewers. Crickets. Not a word from either them or the recruiting dep't for 2 more weeks now.

(3) I interviewed last week and the recruitment office told me that I should hear back within a week from them but that, if I hadn't, I should get in contact with them. I told them that I had an offer that will expire in two weeks and they said they would be sure to speed up the process.

So, from that, all I can say is that it depends, but in my experience, it hasn't hurt (I doubt that in situation 2 above, I would've heard from them by now anyway).
in situation #1, what did you write? i am in the same situation. did you actually meet the recruiter?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”