Bingham vs Pillsbury vs King & Spalding Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bingham vs Pillsbury vs King & Spalding

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:52 pm

2L here that is trying to decide between offers in NYC or DC. I have a slight preference for DC, but not a huge one. I've really enjoyed meeting everyone at all of these firms and I cannot distinguish them based on the people. I want to do either corporate/transactional or regulatory work. All of them have strong corporate and/or regulatory work with an ability to do both during the summer (in addition to lit, just in case I end up liking that). All of the exit options seem pretty similar.

Bingham (NYC)
-Great people, good location in NYC. Low facetime requirement. Good leadership, lots of acquisitions, seems financially secure (despite some staff layoffs earlier in the year). First years can be generalists for 5 years in a big umbrella group before settling into a niche. Also keeps getting awards for "best place to work." SA program consistently wins awards too. Paid bonuses last year.

Pillsbury (DC)
-Good people, DC location is a small plus. Also bills itself as more of a lifestyle firm. Less clear on firm financials. Rumblings on here about how DC isn't doing well but nothing substantiated. Get put into a group quicker. Rare firm that has a sizeable corporate practice in DC. Small SA class. Unsure if paid bonuses.

King & Spalding (DC)
-Good people, DC location is a small plus. Southern based, more laid back than the other firms. Huge growth in the past 5 years. Seems financially secure. DC office does regulatory and transactional work (but not corporate). Unsure if paid bonuses. Not much else to go on here.

What else is there to consider? Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Bingham vs Pillsbury vs King & Spalding

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here that is trying to decide between offers in NYC or DC. I have a slight preference for DC, but not a huge one. I've really enjoyed meeting everyone at all of these firms and I cannot distinguish them based on the people. I want to do either corporate/transactional or regulatory work. All of them have strong corporate and/or regulatory work with an ability to do both during the summer (in addition to lit, just in case I end up liking that). All of the exit options seem pretty similar.

Bingham (NYC)
-Great people, good location in NYC. Low facetime requirement. Good leadership, lots of acquisitions, seems financially secure (despite some staff layoffs earlier in the year). First years can be generalists for 5 years in a big umbrella group before settling into a niche. Also keeps getting awards for "best place to work." SA program consistently wins awards too. Paid bonuses last year.

Pillsbury (DC)
-Good people, DC location is a small plus. Also bills itself as more of a lifestyle firm. Less clear on firm financials. Rumblings on here about how DC isn't doing well but nothing substantiated. Get put into a group quicker. Rare firm that has a sizeable corporate practice in DC. Small SA class. Unsure if paid bonuses.

King & Spalding (DC)
-Good people, DC location is a small plus. Southern based, more laid back than the other firms. Huge growth in the past 5 years. Seems financially secure. DC office does regulatory and transactional work (but not corporate). Unsure if paid bonuses. Not much else to go on here.

I'd go with Pillsbury DC off that list.

Anonymous User

Re: Bingham vs Pillsbury vs King & Spalding

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here that is trying to decide between offers in NYC or DC. I have a slight preference for DC, but not a huge one. I've really enjoyed meeting everyone at all of these firms and I cannot distinguish them based on the people. I want to do either corporate/transactional or regulatory work. All of them have strong corporate and/or regulatory work with an ability to do both during the summer (in addition to lit, just in case I end up liking that). All of the exit options seem pretty similar.

Bingham (NYC)

Pillsbury (DC)

King & Spalding (DC)

If you don't mind me asking, when was K&S CB/offer date? Can pm if you prefer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”