Clifford Chance vs. Mayer Brown vs. O'Melveny (all NY) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clifford Chance vs. Mayer Brown vs. O'Melveny (all NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:52 pm

I'd appreciate input/thoughts on these three firms, esp. with regard to certain points:
- Most likely interested in transactional work
- Job security and firm stability are very important (noting, for example, corporate partner OMM exodus last year)
- Not looking for a SUPER social atmosphere, but a pleasant work environment is key
- International prospects are very helpful (I know CC dominates here, but would love to hear more about MB and OMM)
- Exit options? How well recognized are these firms outside California (OMM) and in the U.S. (CC)? I don't have exit plans at the moment but it's feasible that I might want to change firms.
- Other normal concerns, like substantive work for junior attorneys, partner-associate relations, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: Clifford Chance vs. Mayer Brown vs. O'Melveny (all NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:21 am

clifford chance. the name is known world wide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:24 am

I would go with Mayer Brown, just because of prestige and stability, but I don't know that much about the answers to your other Qs, though I have two friends that have worked there who I know enjoyed the people and the work

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:clifford chance. the name is known world wide.
Correct answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Mayer Brown is better known within the U.S. while clifford chance is clearly superior outside of it. clifford chance firm stability is tied to how Europe is doing, so it's a bit different than U.S. firms, so fingers crossed that nothing goes south with the Euro or EU as a whole.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown is better known within the U.S. while Clifford Chance is clearly superior outside of it. Clifford Chance firm stability is tied to how Europe is doing, so it's a bit different than U.S. firms, so fingers crossed that nothing goes south with the Euro or EU as a whole.
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown is better known within the U.S. while Clifford Chance is clearly superior outside of it. Clifford Chance firm stability is tied to how Europe is doing, so it's a bit different than U.S. firms, so fingers crossed that nothing goes south with the Euro or EU as a whole.
Thanks!
I agree with that analysis and I'd still choose clifford chance. I think the extent to which clifford chance is better known in Europe and worldwide is much greater than Mayer Brown's minimal name recognition advantage in the US.

As far as the whole Euro and EU thing, I mean, it wasn't too long ago that that the US market plunged. I'd say you have about the same chance of either thing happening. I'd still imagine Clifford Chance provides for better options on the corporate side. It's what I would choose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”