Where does Miami SAO stack on the Prosecution ladder? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where does Miami SAO stack on the Prosecution ladder?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:18 pm

I am a 3L currently applying to ADA positions around the country for post-graduation employment. I've read some PD/Prosecution threads on this forum and haven't really found anything that answers my questions. I'm wondering where the Miami SAO stacks in the pecking order of "best" prosecution offices in the country. I know it's the fourth largest office but that doesn't really say much. Manhattan seems to be renowned as the "best" office, but I'm just sort of looking for a general idea of what you guys think.

Geist13

Silver

Re: Where does Miami SAO stack on the Prosecution ladder?

Post by Geist13 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Well it requires in or near Miami, which would make it the worst office in the country to work for.

They do, apparently, hire 40-50 grads a year though.

2xHarvard

New

Post by 2xHarvard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 pm

It is a great office in a wonderful town. People from other parts of the country seek it out. I interned there both summers of law school and it would have been a top choice if I had been seeking a civilian job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:31 pm

my girlfriend interned for the Miami SAO this past summer. she loved it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:46 pm

What about exit options? How does it rank with offices like Manhattan, other NYC offices, LA, and Cook County? Specifically, what about ADA --> rural USAO (not talking about ADA --> biglaw).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Keep in mind that youre not going to be doing doing any sexy cases; you start out doing misdemeanor traffic cases for at least your first year. They also require a minimum three year commitment to the office. Supposedly 30% of people leave after their third year though. So, I'm guessing the exit options are ok. I cant say exactly what they are though. Sorry.

I'd recommend emailing the Miami SAO recruiting attorney and asking these questions. He's a nice guy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:58 pm

gdane wrote:Keep in mind that youre not going to be doing doing any sexy cases; you start out doing misdemeanor traffic cases for at least your first year. They also require a minimum three year commitment to the office. Supposedly 30% of people leave after their third year though. So, I'm guessing the exit options are ok. I cant say exactly what they are though. Sorry.

I'd recommend emailing the Miami SAO recruiting attorney and asking these questions. He's a nice guy.
Wouldn't calling him and basically asking him where his office places on the pecking order seem a little out of place? If I'm looking for permanent employment, I'm sure it wouldn't be a great idea to ask him what the exit options are from his office.

About the third year commitment, I notice the Miami-Dade SAO website only has a three year commitment listed for certain specialized units. Are you sure that there is a 3-year requirement office wide?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Probably the reason you can't find anything about a "pecking order" is because there isn't really one for state-level prosecutor's offices. A lot of it just depends on where you want to live. Manhattan just has a good rep because it's the best one within NYC, and a lot of people want to go to NYC. But once you start comparing other cities, you're comparing apples and oranges.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gdane wrote:Keep in mind that youre not going to be doing doing any sexy cases; you start out doing misdemeanor traffic cases for at least your first year. They also require a minimum three year commitment to the office. Supposedly 30% of people leave after their third year though. So, I'm guessing the exit options are ok. I cant say exactly what they are though. Sorry.

Wouldn't calling him and basically asking him where his office places on the pecking order seem a little out of place? If I'm looking for permanent employment, I'm sure it wouldn't be a great idea to ask him what the exit options are from his office.

About the third year commitment, I notice the Miami-Dade SAO website only has a three year commitment listed for certain specialized units. Are you sure that there is a 3-year requirement office wide?
lol! You don't ask about "the pecking order" of the office.

I'm almost positive that the three year commitment applies office wide to entry level attorneys. The aforementioned recruiter told me this. But, maybe I misunderstood him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Why go into public service if you care about "pecking orders"???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Why go into public service if you care about "pecking orders"???
Interested in which office would give the greatest chances for a rural USAO position.

2xHarvard

New

Post by 2xHarvard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm

I'd think you'd do best to take a state prosecutor's job in or near the area where you'd like to work as a federal prosecutor:

1) You'll need to be barred in state for the SAO/DA. Will you not also need the local state's bar admission for the USAO? If you do, you can avoid having to take a second bar exam, pay a second fee, etc, by starting your career in the area where you want to practice medium- or long-term.

2) You can build contacts in the USAO and in the local bar who can help you make the transition.

3) You'll not have to explain a desired geographic move so soon after law school.

4) You probably already prefer a particular rural area or rural areas in general. Miami is many things but rural is not one of them. There are rural areas in Dade County but they're too far for a commute to the SAO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 pm

2xHarvard wrote:I'd think you'd do best to take a state prosecutor's job in or near the area where you'd like to work as a federal prosecutor:

1) You'll need to be barred in state for the SAO/DA. Will you not also need the local state's bar admission for the USAO? If you do, you can avoid having to take a second bar exam, pay a second fee, etc, by starting your career in the area where you want to practice medium- or long-term.

2) You can build contacts in the USAO and in the local bar who can help you make the transition.

3) You'll not have to explain a desired geographic move so soon after law school.

4) You probably already prefer a particular rural area or rural areas in general. Miami is many things but rural is not one of them. There are rural areas in Dade County but they're too far for a commute to the SAO.
I'm not sure about being barred in the state where you apply for a AUSA job, but you have some good points. I really have no geographical preference right now. Mostly I'm just trying to find an office that will give me the most relevant experience. I'm also concerned about having to wait for bar results to obtain permanent employment as I have $150k+ student loans debt. Metro offices seem to be the only ones hiring grads before bar results. I'm not opposed to a metro area for a couple of years, but eventually my wife and I would like to be in a more rural area (ie Wyoming or some place similar). I know that might sound silly to a lot of people here, but that's our end goal.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:05 am

2xHarvard wrote:1) You'll need to be barred in state for the SAO/DA. Will you not also need the local state's bar admission for the USAO?
You will not need to take the bar again (I've talked to former AUSAs who moved offices and they only had to retake the bar when they moved into private practice).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”