Williams & Connolly: CB to offer statistics? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Williams & Connolly: CB to offer statistics?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Anyone have an idea about how many people they bring in for callbacks and how many of those candidates actually receive offers?

Have a few offers that will expire before my callback there, and both firms refused to guarantee to hold the offer open. I'm trying to assess whether it's a risk worth taking.
I have an offer or two that will span the gap (depending on how long W&C takes to decide) but, I will be leaving some v25 offers on the table.

Any information or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Williams & Connolly: CB to offer statistics?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:42 pm

At CLS last year, W&C only gave five callbacks. All five callbacks were accepted, but only one student got an offer (which he/she took).

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 pm

HLS gave out something like 17 CBs and only 6 offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Has anyone heard back yet this year? If so, what school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:07 pm

W&C waits to make decisions about individual schools until everyone from that school has interviewed. It seems to take them about a week to give offers after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Would anyone with an offer be willing to share what their callback was like? Those callback/offer rates seem pretty low, so I'm just wondering what differentiated those who received offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Pretty standard, really. One difference is that I believe every candidate means with three of these ten people: http://www.wc.com/careers-summer-committee.html . That is, where some firms spread out interviewing duties among a large group of partners, W&C keeps it pretty tight within their hiring committee. Gave me the sense that they actually have real conversations about you at committee meetings, rather than just read evaluations and guess as to what they mean.

Not sure if that's helpful, but there you go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Would anyone with an offer be willing to share what day of week they received the offer? Is there a specific day of week it seems like most calls have gone out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Thursday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 pm

A bit of a random question, but does W&C do lunches during their callbacks? Scheduled back to back without realizing that the second firm that day is on the other side of the city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:W&C waits to make decisions about individual schools until everyone from that school has interviewed. It seems to take them about a week to give offers after that.
So will the turnaround time from CB to offer depend on where they are in interviewing people from your school? If someone has an offer expiring is W&C good about expediting a decision?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:W&C waits to make decisions about individual schools until everyone from that school has interviewed. It seems to take them about a week to give offers after that.
So will the turnaround time from CB to offer depend on where they are in interviewing people from your school? If someone has an offer expiring is W&C good about expediting a decision?
Yes. I don't know. Don't know about the lunch thing either...did an afternoon interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:A bit of a random question, but does W&C do lunches during their callbacks? Scheduled back to back without realizing that the second firm that day is on the other side of the city.
Mine didn't have a lunch

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A bit of a random question, but does W&C do lunches during their callbacks? Scheduled back to back without realizing that the second firm that day is on the other side of the city.
Mine didn't have a lunch
Afternoon or morning?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:17 am

Morning interviews conclude with a lunch. In terms of substance, I found W&C interviews to be in line with other DC firms. Anecdotally I've heard that there are a few interviewers who focus on more substantive questions - which I didn't experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mine didn't have a lunch
Afternoon or morning?
Morning

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Morning interviews conclude with a lunch. In terms of substance, I found W&C interviews to be in line with other DC firms. Anecdotally I've heard that there are a few interviewers who focus on more substantive questions - which I didn't experience.
Thanks for the reply. May I ask if this was your experience from this year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Morning interviews conclude with a lunch. In terms of substance, I found W&C interviews to be in line with other DC firms. Anecdotally I've heard that there are a few interviewers who focus on more substantive questions - which I didn't experience.
I'm not the above anon, but I would say there was a bit more substantive questioning at W&C than at most callbacks. More one partner than the group as a whole, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not the above anon, but I would say there was a bit more substantive questioning at W&C than at most callbacks. More one partner than the group as a whole, though.
Substantive in what way? Like asking more in depth about assignments you've worked on or an article you wrote?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Substantive in what way? Like asking more in depth about assignments you've worked on or an article you wrote?
Just more directed questions focused on your resume. Most interviewers elsewhere would do the "So, tell me about that experience! That must have been interesting!" game. At W&C it was more like, "What does X mean?" with an unstated undertone of: "Was that truly substantial? Convince me I should respect that resume item." That was my impression, at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks for all the info guys and gals. I've been totally calm and rational with respect to all of my other callbacks, but for some reason I find myself nervous as hell about this one. Sigh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just more directed questions focused on your resume. Most interviewers elsewhere would do the "So, tell me about that experience! That must have been interesting!" game. At W&C it was more like, "What does X mean?" with an unstated undertone of: "Was that truly substantial? Convince me I should respect that resume item." That was my impression, at least.
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all the info guys and gals. I've been totally calm and rational with respect to all of my other callbacks, but for some reason I find myself nervous as hell about this one. Sigh.
I second this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:19 am

Weird question: I've read on these boards multiple times that W&C either subsidizes or provides free lunches for their associates. Does anyone know if this is still true?

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Weird question: I've read on these boards multiple times that W&C either subsidizes or provides free lunches for their associates. Does anyone know if this is still true?
From their site:
"On Site Attorney Dining Room with lunch at no charge.
Free Starbucks Coffee in-house."

http://www.wc.com/careers-associates-benefits.html

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks. Any idea if this applies to summer associates?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”