Canceling a Callback Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nootna

New

Canceling a Callback

Post by nootna » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:16 pm

I received an offer yesterday and would like to cancel a callback I have on Tuesday. Is it too late since Tuesday is the next business day? The firm was local so no travel arrangements were made. Should I email the recruiting coordinator? Thanks for the help!

Anonymous User

Re: Canceling a Callback

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Don't cancel. It's going to look really bad if the recruiter is on vacation and doesn't get your message until Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:54 pm

It's local, so go in there and cancel in person if you can't get the recruiter on the phone before you go in.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:13 pm

The timing is suboptimal but if you definitely wouldn't take a job there, then call and cancel now. They're professionals and would prefer you don't waste their time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:16 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:The timing is suboptimal but if you definitely wouldn't take a job there, then call and cancel now. They're professionals and would prefer you don't waste their time.
But make sure they get the message because otherwise it would still be a waste of their time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:The timing is suboptimal but if you definitely wouldn't take a job there, then call and cancel now. They're professionals and would prefer you don't waste their time.
But make sure they get the message because otherwise it would still be a waste of their time.
I assure you the recruiting people will check their voicemail first thing on Tuesday morning. This is what they do for a living.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:46 pm

I think it's fine to cancel, why waste their time and some other student's opportunity.

Just email and thank them for the opportunity and cancel (recruiters will probably check it at least once over the weekend). And if you don't get a response by Monday evening then call first thing Tuesday morning and make sure you talk to a human to cancel (lol).

A lot of firms didn't set up my interview attys until the day before so I don't think it's too late.

IFoughtTheLaw

New

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Leave a voicemail and send an email, saying what you said here. You're sorry for the short notice, but you just received an offer you plan to accept, and you'd like to cancel the callback.

I'm sure they'd rather have a last minute cancellation than waste 4 hours of attorney time when you have no interest in the job.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:40 pm

This is the right answer. It's business as usual, no harm will come of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Not such a time crunch - but I received an offer that I would take over two of my other CBs...the first interview being Monday the 10th...is this something I do over the phone or e-mail? What is customary?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:15 pm

I used email and every recruiting person got back to me within a few minutes (even at 10pm).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 pm

I've already made travel arrangements (via the firm) to start interviews in NY on Monday. I got an offer yesterday in my home market, where I'd rather be. Is it too late to cancel if I call tomorrow? I don't want to waste anyone's time but I feel guilty canceling, especially since I really hit it off with my some of my screening interviewers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've already made travel arrangements (via the firm) to start interviews in NY on Monday. I got an offer yesterday in my home market, where I'd rather be. Is it too late to cancel if I call tomorrow? I don't want to waste anyone's time but I feel guilty canceling, especially since I really hit it off with my some of my screening interviewers.
Cancel first thing in the morning. Call and email if they don't answer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”