The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Cold-emailing firms... over 3-4 weeks and nothing. rip

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:39 pm

Is it worth it for 3Ls to go for big law litigation or should I focus on corporate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:39 pm
Is it worth it for 3Ls to go for big law litigation or should I focus on corporate?
The vast majority of my interview requests are for corporate positions. M&A and Capital Markets work is in high demand right now. I haven't received any offers but I'm hoping firms will look past my lack of business background and just take in bodies

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:53 am
2021 jobless grad checking-in here. Got an email recently from recruiting at a BL firm that I had previously applied to asking if I was still interested in the position - apparently firms mean it when they say if your stats meets their desired applicant pool they’ll get back to you!

I’m not gonna share deets (sorry guyz) but am only curious if anyone else has experienced the sameee
Did you end up having an interview with the firm?

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:07 pm

Dechert posted today on LinkedIn that they’re hiring for the Fall 2022 class in: NY, LA, SF, Philly, Boston, Charlotte, and DC:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dechert- ... 51456-MsxQ

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:11 pm
Anyone hear any movement regarding the Choate entry-level position?
How long ago did you apply? It’s taken me weeks to receive a response from some of these firms
I think about 3-4 weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 am

For the love of god, can someone please tell me how to respond when asked about my lack of SA position for 2L summer? I feel like I am being instantly dinged during these interviews because this omission from my resume is a major red flag or something. This is especially considering I do not have any law firm experience as I chose to work at a nonprofit both summers after striking out at OCI, so it seems like a steep climb to persuade firms that I am genuinely interested in corporate work. I understand I fucked up, and I try my best to display my interest in the firm, but it really feels like firms are instead prioritizing SA laterals as opposed to 3Ls with no background. This is understandable, but it's ridiculously discouraging. Obviously the firms value me enough to invite me for interviews, but I'm really struggling to respond to those questions without sounding incompetent nor dishonest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 am
For the love of god, can someone please tell me how to respond when asked about my lack of SA position for 2L summer? I feel like I am being instantly dinged during these interviews because this omission from my resume is a major red flag or something. This is especially considering I do not have any law firm experience as I chose to work at a nonprofit both summers after striking out at OCI, so it seems like a steep climb to persuade firms that I am genuinely interested in corporate work. I understand I fucked up, and I try my best to display my interest in the firm, but it really feels like firms are instead prioritizing SA laterals as opposed to 3Ls with no background. This is understandable, but it's ridiculously discouraging. Obviously the firms value me enough to invite me for interviews, but I'm really struggling to respond to those questions without sounding incompetent nor dishonest.
For real, I got grilled hard on this yesterday when interviewing for a 3L position. I'm with you there anon

PsychMax95

New

Post by PsychMax95 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:58 am

If it could make you two feel any better, I had a 2L SA position but after two months of trying I have not gotten a single 3L interview yet. Don't be discouraged!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mwells_56

New

Post by mwells_56 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:39 am
Anonymous User wrote:
For real, I got grilled hard on this yesterday when interviewing for a 3L position. I'm with you there anon
I went through this last year. The best way to show them that you're interested in firm work without having firm stuff on your resume is to straight up tell them that you struck out at OCI. If your grades/resume wasn't good enough at OCI, but it's good enough now to get 3L interviews in big law, obviously you did something in between to get your credentials up. Tell them what those things were.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
There's no good answer unfortunately. It's a dumb question frankly, if you're gonna interview ppl based on their resume and then tell them their resume isn't sufficient, why? Every interviewer that went hard on this question ended my chances. My offer firm I think didn't ask, or maybe asked but as "what have you been doing the last couple of years".

FWIW my canned answer was "OCI did not go as I'd hope and I reacted to that by getting xyz experience to continue recruiting in 3L" etc. The goal here being to make it clear that I want biglaw, and to pivot to a strength. But I'm honestly not sure if my answer was good or if the firm that eventually offered me didn't care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2021 jobless grad checking-in here. Got an email recently from recruiting at a BL firm that I had previously applied to asking if I was still interested in the position - apparently firms mean it when they say if your stats meets their desired applicant pool they’ll get back to you!

I’m not gonna share deets (sorry guyz) but am only curious if anyone else has experienced the sameee
Has anyone seen updates for Class of 2021 positions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:54 am

Anyone hear back from Weil or Davis Polk NY offices post callback?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Anyone hear back from Weil (NY) or Davis Polk (NY) post callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:53 am
I have a 1 hour screener next week.. anyone know if this is normal? (NY, V10)
Is that Gibson?
Hi, I have an hour screener with Gibson. Did you get a CB after? How long was it?

fatbegal95

New

Post by fatbegal95 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 pm

claryj wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:41 am
Rising 3L here. Chances of NY BL? 3.7 at T20 with 3.4 median. No law review. Currently interning for a small firm. Initially interested in litigation but at this point I am willing to do anything to chip away at this $200k debt, so I am open to M&A/capital markets work. I am just confused on how to approach firms. My school's career services office has been worthless. When and where should I start reaching out? I did the whole networking thing last fall and made some decent connections, but obviously did not follow through on landing a SA gig. I understand COVID screwed up the timeline a bit, so I was not sure when to start sending applications.
Start looking now. Once a week go to each of the top 100 firm's career pages and apply to any first year associate positions. Don't just rely on what your school posts on their job board. I would also reach out to recruiters directly. Now that you have a higher GPA, you should be a good candidate for those who realize they need more associates in their incoming class. From experience, most of the 3Ls that apply during 3L year have lower GPAs and so recruiters jump on the ones with GPAs that normally would have gotten them a 2L SA gig. You may not see many postings until in the Fall after firms have figured out how many people will be returning, but it absolutely doesn't hurt to start looking now.
I'm at a V15 firm that is slammed with M&A/cap markets. The firm recently sent out an email asking junior associates to network and bring in more potential candidates. Can you PM me and we can set up a time to chat?
Added as a friend. Can you PM me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:01 pm
Friends did callbacks with DPW last week but haven't heard back. Which group for Weil?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Letsgetit

New

Post by Letsgetit » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:01 pm
Friends did callbacks with DPW last week but haven't heard back. Which group for Weil?
Banking and finance for both. Callback with Weil was about two weeks ago. Got an update from Weil last week to provide deadlines, if any and that they are still conducting first round interviews, so hold tight. Callback with Davis Polk was also last week, haven’t heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 pm

I had a screener today and I am ALL the nerves about whether it went okay and I'd get a callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 pm

Has anyone gotten interviews from white & case or sidley NY?

Anonymous User

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I had a some screeners these past two weeks, but no movement since. :( Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I had a some screeners these past two weeks, but no movement since. :( Anyone else?
Still looking for Class of 2021 positions. Perhaps openings are no longer public at this point?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Still looking for Class of 2021 positions. Perhaps openings are no longer public at this point?
Had a callback last week for a non-public position, waiting to hear back.

I’ve seen (and applied to) openings posted to my school’s job board that have not been made public, so this theory definitely holds some weight.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”