The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:53 am
2021 jobless grad checking-in here. Got an email recently from recruiting at a BL firm that I had previously applied to asking if I was still interested in the position - apparently firms mean it when they say if your stats meets their desired applicant pool they’ll get back to you!

I’m not gonna share deets (sorry guyz) but am only curious if anyone else has experienced the sameee
Has anyone seen updates for Class of 2021 positions?
I had a some screeners these past two weeks, but no movement since. :( Anyone else?
Still looking for Class of 2021 positions. Perhaps openings are no longer public at this point?
Had a callback last week for a non-public position, waiting to hear back.

I’ve seen (and applied to) openings posted to my school’s job board that have not been made public, so this theory definitely holds some weight.
So what’s the firm 👀

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 pm

For those of us getting 3L screeners with big law, are your stats on par with the firm's OCI-level grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:57 am

Had gotten a call from STB about being interested still, but no interview schedule? Anyone get a call like this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 pm
For those of us getting 3L screeners with big law, are your stats on par with the firm's OCI-level grades?
nope. Have decent grades but nowhere near the OCI "cutoffs."

pikapika66666

New

Post by pikapika66666 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
For me, yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:29 am

Dinged at Weil post callback :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 am

0 for 3 on callbacks so far. Waiting to hear from 3 more. Top 25% at t-25 no previous SA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Anyone without prior SA has gotten an offer so far? I'm starting to think this wave of 3Ls hiring is more for ppl with SA...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 am
0 for 3 on callbacks so far. Waiting to hear from 3 more. Top 25% at t-25 no previous SA.
In a similar boat, though an exception noted below.
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:04 pm
Anyone without prior SA has gotten an offer so far? I'm starting to think this wave of 3Ls hiring is more for ppl with SA...
I did, but turned it down because there were glaring red flags about the firm. FWIW, I've received way more callbacks now than 2L OCI in January, so at the very least firms are willing to look past my lack of SA to invite me to the final round. I then proceed to get roasted on a spit over not having this experience, but I'm hoping it's just a numbers game at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I did, but turned it down because there were glaring red flags about the firm. FWIW, I've received way more callbacks now than 2L OCI in January, so at the very least firms are willing to look past my lack of SA to invite me to the final round. I then proceed to get roasted on a spit over not having this experience, but I'm hoping it's just a numbers game at this point.
would you mind sharing a bit more about your background/stats? in a lower T14 with top 30% grades, all the attention I have gotten so far is from two V20s and they only give me screeners. Also applied to some other V80 firms but they either ghost me or say they don't know their needs yet. Not sure what I have done wrong...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
would you mind sharing a bit more about your background/stats? in a lower T14 with top 30% grades, all the attention I have gotten so far is from two V20s and they only give me screeners. Also applied to some other V80 firms but they either ghost me or say they don't know their needs yet. Not sure what I have done wrong...
Sure thing. I'm at a T20 in the ~top 20% or so. I mass mailed like a motherfucker all throughout summer and get those same responses. I then would follow up toward the end of august/before the semester to ask if the firms have assessed their needs. I got most of my traction here, when the recruiters would review my materials and ask if I have interest in a screener. For the firms still waiting to hear from their SA's who have yet to accept their return offers, I plan to reach out again in late October/early November to see what their deal is. This is provided I don't have anything lined up by that point.

Are you a K-JD? I can see how this might be a disadvantage for you. I worked for a year in the corporate sector prior to enrolling in law school, so I heavily rely on that experience during my interviews. My advice is to don't get too discouraged, continue to mass mail and reach out to recruiters, and maybe ask your law school classmates if their firms are needing more bodies because everyone is busy right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What do you mean "roasted on a spit"? Yes, of course, they're going to ask you about it, but you have to assume that if you got to the final round, you've passed the credentials and qualifications stage. You shouldn't shy away from the fact you didn't have an SA, but instead focus on the positives - "I had decided to spend my summer at A because of X Y Z... it was a great experience, where I learned to develop skills such as R T S...". The question/inquiry is meant to invite you talking about your experience even if it was different than what you had originally desired.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What do you mean "roasted on a spit"? Yes, of course, they're going to ask you about it, but you have to assume that if you got to the final round, you've passed the credentials and qualifications stage. You shouldn't shy away from the fact you didn't have an SA, but instead focus on the positives - "I had decided to spend my summer at A because of X Y Z... it was a great experience, where I learned to develop skills such as R T S...". The question/inquiry is meant to invite you talking about your experience even if it was different than what you had originally desired.
That comment was meant to be an exaggeration of what actually takes place. I certainly do what you described and frame the situation in a more productive manner by highlighting the positive takeaways from my summer experience, and how it translates to me being a suitable candidate for an entry level position. I just get the sense that some partners raise their eyebrows and are not fully sold on my story, leading to rejection. For instance, I had an interview where the first thing the partner said was something along the lines of “let me be blunt, I’m confused why didn’t do biglaw this past summer yet you’re applying for a position here. How can we trust that you’re the right fit for the job?” Didn’t get an offer.

It’s an uphill climb for sure, and I’m aware I can do a better job of framing the narrative to overcome this setback. To me, it seems like part of the process is drawing the right set of partners who are understanding and receptive of my response. Of course, their receptiveness is based heavily on how I craft my response. In contrast to above, I had a screener last week with a partner who appreciated my honesty, and we ended up having a great ensuing conversation. Received a callback, so I hope it goes well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mwells_56

New

Post by mwells_56 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That comment was meant to be an exaggeration of what actually takes place. I certainly do what you described and frame the situation in a more productive manner by highlighting the positive takeaways from my summer experience, and how it translates to me being a suitable candidate for an entry level position. I just get the sense that some partners raise their eyebrows and are not fully sold on my story, leading to rejection. For instance, I had an interview where the first thing the partner said was something along the lines of “let me be blunt, I’m confused why didn’t do biglaw this past summer yet you’re applying for a position here. How can we trust that you’re the right fit for the job?” Didn’t get an offer.

It’s an uphill climb for sure, and I’m aware I can do a better job of framing the narrative to overcome this setback. To me, it seems like part of the process is drawing the right set of partners who are understanding and receptive of my response. Of course, their receptiveness is based heavily on how I craft my response. In contrast to above, I had a screener last week with a partner who appreciated my honesty, and we ended up having a great ensuing conversation. Received a callback, so I hope it goes well.
I've said this before ITT but I'll throw it back out there. I was a KJD without a SA, roughly median from a lower t-14 and I landed a gig at a v25 as a 3L. The one offer I got, they really pressed me on why no firm experience. Eventually I straight up told them that I struck out during my 2L OCI. This provided a good opportunity for me to tell them what I did to level up my credentials so that by the time 3L hiring rolled around, my resume was just as good as anyone else that worked there. This did a few things: (1) show them that I'm actually interested in big law because it was clearly my goal from the start, (2) show them that I am capable of identifying my own problems areas and addressing them, and (3) that I was savvy enough to navigate the job market to find something relatively desirable from my 2L and continued that grind into 3L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:32 pm

I'll note that one of the reasons some interviewers harp on that and maybe immediately look down on you even though it was a known fact going into the interview, is because the interviewers aren't the ones advancing candidates from screener to callback. I'll also note that recruiting departments have seen the tight hiring market and have adjusted their required credentials down accordingly as to who gets a callback, but this necessary adjustment has not fully sunk in with partners, etc. We've interviewed some 3L candidates who wouldn't have gotten a sniff 2 years ago, but I'm honestly giving any of them the thumbs up if I like them because we really do need bodies and who GAF if candidates now had bad 1L grades, we're hiring 3Ls for a reason

Letsgetit

New

Post by Letsgetit » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m the above anon at the t-25 and top 25%, secondary journal, and no previous SA. I have a year w/e prior to law school as a paralegal. Worked at a small firm this past summer and got a crap ton of practical experience and the screeners/callbacks I got were mostly with the groups where I had done similar work in at the smaller firm. Some firms just went straight to callback and others had screener then callback. Firms ranked from v10 to v50. Just got my first offer today out of the 6 callbacks I had. Really is a numbers game lol.

On another note, I was not really pressed on why no SA, but if it came up my answer went something like this: “I went through OCI had a few callbacks, but it didn’t work out. So I did the next best thing and took a job with this firm to get my feet wet and get a substantive experience…..” That would naturally pivot the conversation to what did you do at the firm etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I have good grades but with the quality of firms I’ve been getting interviews from, I am usually below the 25th percentile of what they go for from my T30. I do have particularly strong demonstrated interest in my field with leadership positions, but I think firms are somewhat desperate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:54 am

Received an offer from a V20 yesterday. I'm very grateful to have exited the Vale and I realize how fortunate I was to do it this early into my 3L year. I greatly appreciated all the advice given in this thread. This was a trying 7+ months since I struck out at OCI in January, and now a huge load is off my chest. For those still searching, keep your head up. As the anon above mentioned, it really is a numbers game and firms do seem to be actively seeking out candidates. We're all gonna make it brahs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:11 pm

Some firms that are still hiring for Corporate in New York: WilmerHale, Latham, Fenwick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:02 pm

Has sidley ever given out interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Does anyone know if the K&E NY positions have all been filled? The postings have been removed from their website.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I struck out at 2L OCI - tried to get into the California market with no connections to the market. Did a PI job during 2L summer. Decided to switch and apply to markets where I had strong connections (Chicago and NY) Applied to basically every firm posting - corp and lit - I saw. I ended up getting 2 corporate and 1 lit offer (2 of the offers were V15). I accepted a NY corp offer at a V15. I also got tons of dings without screeners at many firms. It's not an easy process but hang in there and be sure to have a story of why you didn't get a SA position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:54 am
Received an offer from a V20 yesterday. I'm very grateful to have exited the Vale and I realize how fortunate I was to do it this early into my 3L year. I greatly appreciated all the advice given in this thread. This was a trying 7+ months since I struck out at OCI in January, and now a huge load is off my chest. For those still searching, keep your head up. As the anon above mentioned, it really is a numbers game and firms do seem to be actively seeking out candidates. We're all gonna make it brahs.
hey what was your timeline

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 pm
I had a screener today and I am ALL the nerves about whether it went okay and I'd get a callback.
did the callback last week and now am now all the nerves for whether I get an offer. What’s the rough consensus on when I’d hear back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:54 am
hey what was your timeline
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 pm
I had a screener today and I am ALL the nerves about whether it went okay and I'd get a callback.
did the callback last week and now am now all the nerves for whether I get an offer. What’s the rough consensus on when I’d hear back?
Had a screener two weeks ago, callback last week, offer the day after callback. I don't really know if there is a consensus on timeline given 3L hiring is pretty unorthodox, as opposed to the more defined 2L OCI frenzy. In other words, I would not stress too hard, anon. If you have not received an outright rejection then I would just assume you are still in the running.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”