The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:58 am

Few quick questions! Current 2L, just accepted my only 2L SA offer but would prefer to work in a different market after graduation. Unsure if switching employers after 2L SA is a bad look even without reneging.

1. Is it a faux pas to apply to other employers during a 2L SA with an employer that you don't intend to return after graduation if you find something else?

2. If I want to switch employers in 3L, when should I start applying? Should I start now, during my 2L SA, or once the 3L year begins?

3. Is 3L job search on a different timeline from 2L OCI, or should I aim to secure something during the summer before 3L year (like 1Ls did for pre-covid 2L OCI)?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:43 pm

How this thread has fallen. (See the title.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:40 pm

nixy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:43 pm
Well, I’m a 2L now. But I thought my question was relevant here since the question is about 3L job search that I’m 100% certain I will have to go through in the near future.

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:58 am
Few quick questions! Current 2L, just accepted my only 2L SA offer but would prefer to work in a different market after graduation. Unsure if switching employers after 2L SA is a bad look even without reneging.

1. Is it a faux pas to apply to other employers during a 2L SA with an employer that you don't intend to return after graduation if you find something else?

2. If I want to switch employers in 3L, when should I start applying? Should I start now, during my 2L SA, or once the 3L year begins?

3. Is 3L job search on a different timeline from 2L OCI, or should I aim to secure something during the summer before 3L year (like 1Ls did for pre-covid 2L OCI)?
Okay this is basically the one situation where I’m on board with outing and banning this tone deaf dipshit

jsnow212

Bronze

Post by jsnow212 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:40 pm
nixy wrote:
Well, I’m a 2L now. But I thought my question was relevant here since the question is about 3L job search that I’m 100% certain I will have to go through in the near future.
With this level of self-awareness, there will be a 100% chance you end up back here after getting no-offered.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:
This thread is for people who have to job search in 3L because they struck out at OCI or got no-offered - people who have no job lined up at all - not people who think they want to change jobs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 am

nixy wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:
This thread is for people who have to job search in 3L because they struck out at OCI or got no-offered - people who have no job lined up at all - not people who think they want to change jobs.
My sincere apologies. I honestly thought the thread dealt with 3L job search in a broader sense.

IAmMuirMan

New

Post by IAmMuirMan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:08 pm

The above comment makes me naseous . . .

I've had a few screeners now which I thought went great - I even got a reply to my thank you note. But its been a bit now. All I can hope is that since they did express interest in doing call-backs in-person they are trying to find a way to make that logistically work out. I have an interview with a state trial judge in a rural area, I'd take it in a heartbeat at this point.

Smalltowngal

New

Post by Smalltowngal » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:07 pm

What is the gameplan of fellow 3Ls still looking for a job at this point months before graduation and the Bar?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thewoodsman

New

Post by thewoodsman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 pm

I'm trying to reach out to 1 alum/week, I have alerts set for linkedin postings, and I have been checking other boards/websites for openings. Basically sending out the occasional application and not very optimistic.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:40 pm

Smalltowngal wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:07 pm
What is the gameplan of fellow 3Ls still looking for a job at this point months before graduation and the Bar?
I made a list of every single DA’s office in the region where I wanted to work in about February. I applied to literally every one, whether or not they said they were hiring. I got multiple interviews over spring break for offices 3 hours away from the nearest Trader Joe’s when I went back to the region where I wanted to work. I ended up getting multiple offers. I’d recommend doing the same with PD offices, city attorney, etc.

CactusLawyer

New

Post by CactusLawyer » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm

To any 3Ls and recent grads still looking for a job - don't give up. I'm a 2020 grad and it took nearly 10 months before I got a job offer. I went to a school just outside the T14, had mediocre grades, but a decent resume. I focused on the bar exam the whole summer and began to apply to jobs in late September once I started a temporary govt internship. I had interviews before bar results, but I started getting more interest from employers after I received my law license.

I went through periods of feeling worthless and unqualified. I was ready to settle for any job that came up, but I knew I would hate doing something like insurance defense, personal injury, or family law. Earlier this year, someone in my network forwarded me a job opportunity in a practice area that I'm highly interested in/have legal experience in. I applied and was hired less than a month later.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the job hunt sucks. I've been there and know how you feel. You will all get through this. It just takes time, patience, and some networking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:04 am

I've posted here before, just quickly checking in again. I've had some promising interviews with smaller firms, a couple that have asked me to come in again. I don't yet have an offer and I don't know how much it would be for. My understanding is that these types of firms typically start at 80-100, but one of them might be a bit more.

There's jobs out there. If these don't work out, I'll take the bar and keep looking. Something will work out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 pm

I think anyone interesting Big Law corporate practices needs to cold email alum/recruiters if you haven't already. I've gotten 2 interviews this month with a couple of firms and they basically told me their corporate practices are absolutely slammed. I've had as many callbacks this week as I when I struck out at 2L OCI, lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 pm
I think anyone interesting Big Law corporate practices needs to cold email alum/recruiters if you haven't already. I've gotten 2 interviews this month with a couple of firms and they basically told me their corporate practices are absolutely slammed. I've had as many callbacks this week as I when I struck out at 2L OCI, lol.
That's great! How would you frame your email messages, especially if a firm does not have an opening listed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is good to know. Can you share stats and the market, please? Did the firms you had callbacks have job postings open?

alhookem2020

New

Post by alhookem2020 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wow, this is good to know. Mind messaging me the firms and what is your ranking?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
That's great! How would you frame your email messages, especially if a firm does not have an opening listed?
OP here. The interviews I've gotten have been for 3L positions. One of them I got by applying to a junior position in a specialty group, and then recruiter reached out to me asking if I'd like to be put in the applicant pool for entry level general corporate. I've sent out a few emails where I've looked at postings and locked in on a hiring practice group and asked if they'd be willing to take 3Ls. I've also sent some out that basically says "i have experience x, i'm interested in practice areas abc, i know you have good groups in abc, are you still hiring 3Ls?". Unfortunately no bites on the cold emails but I'm not sure how else to approach it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
This is good to know. Can you share stats and the market, please? Did the firms you had callbacks have job postings open?
Gotten interviews in NY and Boston. I'm a smidge above median at a lower t-14.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mind PMing me the firms? I'm curious about the overlap.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Although OP has been generally successful during the 3L application cycle, I would seriously suggest others think about this route if they aren’t at a T-14 or top third at a Top 30 or so school. Although it’s entirely possible to land these positions (I’ve seen a few entry level positions posted for STB, PW, Goodwin, WSGR, etc. on my school’s symplicity page), those firms are mostly going to be looking for people trading up or people like OP who have the credentials for biglaw.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t try, because a lot of firms are really busy and may lower normal hiring standards even for first years, but I would also suggest focusing more on in-house, midlaw, etc.

Just adding my .02 since this thread got very active once someone mentioned biglaw hiring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:52 pm

2013 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Although OP has been generally successful during the 3L application cycle, I would seriously suggest others think about this route if they aren’t at a T-14 or top third at a Top 30 or so school. Although it’s entirely possible to land these positions (I’ve seen a few entry level positions posted for STB, PW, Goodwin, WSGR, etc. on my school’s symplicity page), those firms are mostly going to be looking for people trading up or people like OP who have the credentials for biglaw.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t try, because a lot of firms are really busy and may lower normal hiring standards even for first years, but I would also suggest focusing more on in-house, midlaw, etc.

Just adding my .02 since this thread got very active once someone mentioned biglaw hiring.
OP here. Don't disagree, just thought I'd throw this out there. Hiring timelines have been completely whacked out due to COVID pushing OCI to February, and I think some Big Law firms are only just now figuring out their hiring needs. Also, worth noting that at my 2L OCI when I struck out, I was below median, my grades have since improved, and I still spent my 2L summer in-house with a F100 company. So maybe I'm a bit of a unique case, just thought I'd share what I'm seeing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:14 pm

2013 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can add some numbers to this - almost every person who I heard was a 3L hire at Fordham got the position through a posting on Symplicity. They did all the recommended things but didn't get any bites. Off the top of my head, there's 5 people from the class of 2020 and 3 people from the class of 2019 - likely more, but I only spoke with those 8. Common factors were leadership positions, huge grade jumps that had them in the top-third by the time they applied, and a summer firm experience (not BL).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:24 pm

People who’ve gotten biglaw offers as 3Ls - do offers come shortly after callbacks? Or is everything slower for 3Ls

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:24 pm
People who’ve gotten biglaw offers as 3Ls - do offers come shortly after callbacks? Or is everything slower for 3Ls
Screener to callback was very delayed for some for me, callback to offer overnight for all.

I recommend applying to places without official openings. I'm from a prior class, but I received over half of my screeners from firms that weren't officially hiring. Hit up places like Latham and Kirkland that people mention on here are drowning in work. Apply for corporate/capital markets/finance/M&A, etc, essentially transactional stuff.

And yes, I fall into the group of people that had sufficient credentials for BL prior to OCI, and then saw a substantial increase in grades later to add on. Pretty obvious that improvements in grades paint a rosier picture.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”