bringing up books about firms during CBs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

bringing up books about firms during CBs?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 pm

I have upcoming interviews with Williams & Connolly and Skadden. Each firm has a book written about it, which I have read. Is it weird for me to refer to the book or bring up detailed things I learned in the book in the interviews? Will it seem like I am trying too hard/desperate?

I'm particularly curious how current associates working at firms like these would react to this if any of you are posting on here. I guess I would be more likely to bring it up to a partner but still interested in opinions.

Anonymous User

Re: bringing up books about firms during CBs?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:22 pm

I wouldn't mention the book itself. However, I think it would be smart to work in interesting tidbits that you learned in discussing and asking Q's about the firm. It will give you a solid basis for informed questions ("I've heard a lot about X. Perhaps you can elaborate on that a bit?"). Saying that you read an entire book about the firm may come off as odd, in the same way that you wouldn't want to mention law review articles that your interviewer wrote many years ago. But that doesn't mean you can't play off the material within to stimulate a productive conversation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:14 pm

bump.....anyone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Who would read/write a book about a law firm? What do these books even say?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”