CL Typing Error, Advice Needed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CL Typing Error, Advice Needed

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm an idiot. Noticed mistake in cover letter, to a firm whose OCI interviewer told me during my Friday interview that I would receive a CB. If it matters, I'm top 10% at UT, & firm would otherwise be a good fit for me.

Do I send a corrected copy to my interviewer? To the firm's recruiting contact? Do I not notify them of the mistake and hope they overlook it (it's a misspelled name that they might not realize is an error)?

Loose Seal

New

Re: CL Typing Error, Advice Needed

Post by Loose Seal » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:18 pm

In what context is the name that someone would not realize it is misspelled?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you had a screening interview with a firm, you were told you would receive a callback, and you gave the interviewer a cover letter at the interview (and so they didn't see the letter at the time they mentioned the callback)? I'm confused.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:32 pm

So you already have a callback? I highly doubt they will ever look at your cover letter again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Loose Seal wrote:In what context is the name that someone would not realize it is misspelled?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you had a screening interview with a firm, you were told you would receive a callback, and you gave the interviewer a cover letter at the interview (and so they didn't see the letter at the time they mentioned the callback)? I'm confused.
OP here. No, I sent out the CL in July pre-oci. It didn't keep me from getting a screener, but I worry that after I do the CB it might surface during the firm's review process, at which point I might (would) get dinged.

So...Lay low?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Dude, chill out. Do not send a corrected version of a cover letter to a firm you already have a callback with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Loose Seal wrote:In what context is the name that someone would not realize it is misspelled?

OP here. No, I sent out the CL in July pre-oci. It didn't keep me from getting a screener, but I worry that after I do the CB it might surface during the firm's review process, at which point I might (would) get dinged.

So...Lay low?
uhh ya obviously

Loose Seal

New

Post by Loose Seal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So...Lay low?
uhh ya obviously
Cosigned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm

In my experience, no one ever looks at the materials you used to bid once you're into the callback stage (or even the screener stage). No one's gonna care...I'd ignore it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Outing self. Thanks all for the help. Got dinged today; no CB despite screener interviewer telling me I'd be getting one, and despite getting CBs from all of its home-market peer firms to whom I didn't have to submit a CL. Safe to say the firm noticed my mistake, and it was the reason for my ding.

Just FFR, the spelling mistake didn't even change the name phonetically (Think: Abel v. Able). I realize people have different opinions on correcting mistakes, but I think I'd have been better off at least showing the firm that I had caught my error.

bobloblawut

New

Post by bobloblawut » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Outing self. Thanks all for the help. Got dinged today; no CB despite screener interviewer telling me I'd be getting one, and despite getting CBs from all of its home-market peer firms to whom I didn't have to submit a CL. Safe to say the firm noticed my mistake, and it was the reason for my ding.

Just FFR, the spelling mistake didn't even change the name phonetically (Think: Abel v. Able). I realize people have different opinions on correcting mistakes, but I think I'd have been better off at least showing the firm that I had caught my error.
I strongly doubt you got dinged because of a spelling error in a cover letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:43 pm

You got dinged because you gave a crappy interview. Excuses do not get people anywhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Outing self. Thanks all for the help. Got dinged today; no CB despite screener interviewer telling me I'd be getting one, and despite getting CBs from all of its home-market peer firms to whom I didn't have to submit a CL. Safe to say the firm noticed my mistake, and it was the reason for my ding.

Perhaps the substance of the letter was just lousy and the firms that didn't require a CL didn't have the chance to hear unpersuasive reasons for why you wanted to work for them? People on this site take hiring committees to be far more nitpicky than I believe they are. Sure typos are bad, but what you described may not have even been seen and would certainly not be an automatic rejection. (coming from a practicing attorney, FWIW).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Safe to say the firm noticed my mistake, and it was the reason for my ding.
No, it's not safe to say that.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:36 pm

You'll never know, let 'er go, and don't do it again. For the record, if I caught a typo in a resume or cover letter, I would ding that person for it a little. And if it was my name - gone.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Dany wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Safe to say the firm noticed my mistake, and it was the reason for my ding.
No, it's not safe to say that.
Emailed screener interviewer to ask what went wrong. He confirmed that the spelling error dinged me, explaining that they had a lot of qualified applicants, and that unfortunately even small mistakes can differentiate applicants, but wished me well...yata yata.

Doesn't mean that sending a corrected copy would have changed their minds, or that with other firms the error wouldn't have slipped through the cracks. But fwiw, in my case:

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:39 pm

To make people feel better, I had major formatting errors on my resume and had at least 10 SA offers from Vault firms. People care less than you think about this kind of stuff.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:25 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

NaTTTureBoy

New

Post by NaTTTureBoy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:You got dinged because you gave a crappy interview. Excuses do not get people anywhere.
You gotta style and profile your way to the world championship. WOOOOO!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:39 am

Dany wrote:Dude, chill out. Do not send a corrected version of a cover letter to a firm you already have a callback with.
seriously

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”