Callback Dinner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Dinner

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:31 am

A firm I did a screener for this week invited me to dinner that night with a handful of other applicants. I was pretty excited because it was my first "callback dinner" and will likely be my only one. But throughout, they never actually said anything about like scheduling or "when you come to the office". What happens next? Do I wait for them to call or email me? Do I follow up with them? I'm really interested in the firm so I just don't want to screw it up. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Callback Dinner

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:57 am

Unfortunately, you might not have gotten the CB. I know of firms that have invited a group of people (6-10) out to dinner after the screener, only to turn around and not give some of them a CB. Maybe try getting in touch with the other people at the dinner and see if they've gotten an email/call about a CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately, you might not have gotten the CB. I know of firms that have invited a group of people (6-10) out to dinner after the screener, only to turn around and not give some of them a CB. Maybe try getting in touch with the other people at the dinner and see if they've gotten an email/call about a CB.
This. Same thing happened to me recently. That being said, the firm didn't give a CB for 2-3 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately, you might not have gotten the CB. I know of firms that have invited a group of people (6-10) out to dinner after the screener, only to turn around and not give some of them a CB. Maybe try getting in touch with the other people at the dinner and see if they've gotten an email/call about a CB.
This. Same thing happened to me recently. That being said, the firm didn't give a CB for 2-3 weeks.
Same here. Went to a dinner, talked to a lot of people, don't think I did/said anything awkward, but got a ding letter a week later. Granted, the other students at my table had some unique experiences that were really impressive, so I'm not too surprised that they may have received CBs over me. Did you send a thank-you note or email to the person who invited you to the dinner? Probably worthwhile to do so if you haven't already - gives you another chance to express your interest in the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:56 pm

We should keep track of who does these dinners since they are definitely second stage screeners and are not guaranteed callbacks. Could help future students be on the ball. I know from first and second hand experience (and ultimately got an offer from one) of the following firms in LA:

Gibson Dunn
Paul Hastings
Proskauer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:48 pm

i went to one of these too--depressing that it's not a guaranteed callback :( what if you couldn't make the dinner? is there a negative effect on CB chances?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i went to one of these too--depressing that it's not a guaranteed callback :( what if you couldn't make the dinner? is there a negative effect on CB chances?
Friend at one of HYS had an invite to one of those dinners (but couldn't go) and still got a callback.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”