Skadden Boston Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden Boston

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm trying to find out more about the firm, but for the most part I'm only finding information on NY and very old posts on autoadmit. The posts on autoadmit indicate that you work NY hours at the Boston firm (i.e. more than other boston firms) and that the firm is very intense (not in a good way). Does anyone know if this true?

Also, can anyone comment on the quality of work? Is it mostly passed off work from New York or is there significant, interesting Boston work?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden Boston

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Bumping this for one more look on the off-chance that someone has some info and missed it the first time through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:47 am

Hey, I was a SA at the Boston office at some point in the last 2-3 years. Most of the work that I saw was Boston work -- not residual work from NYC. Happy to answer more specific questions but, in general, I had a great time and loved the people and the office. Good size (~50 attorneys), friendly but incredibly smart people, hard work is expected but it seemed like most people genuinely enjoyed what they did and where they did it. This is particularly different from what I saw at the NYC firm (not Skadden) that I worked at before. Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:55 am

Also, the hours are not NYC hours, really. They can be, but (esp in corporate) the work ebbs and flows. In Boston, one M&A team was running with 2 deals at once and was working for like 2 weeks straight. They rarely left the office. But at other points in the summer, they would leave at 5 p.m. Having worked in NYC, Boston didn't seem to be as bad. I think this is in part due to the Boston office's realization that you have a life outside of work and an appreciation that, if you CAN, you should have some downtime. In NYC, it's a race to see who can work more hours no matter what. There didn't seem to be that expectation of "face time" in Boston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:15 pm

Did a Callback there... only place so far where I have left knowing there was no way I would ever work there. Has a generally negative cultural reputation in Boston and, contrary to the poster above, from what I have heard from both other lawyers around town and also lawyers at the firm itself, most of their work comes from NYC.

Some people do like it there but from my experience they have generally been the extremely introverted types.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did a Callback there... only place so far where I have left knowing there was no way I would ever work there. Has a generally negative cultural reputation in Boston and, contrary to the poster above, from what I have heard from both other lawyers around town and also lawyers at the firm itself, most of their work comes from NYC.

Some people do like it there but from my experience they have generally been the extremely introverted types.
First anon here.

No offense, but you were in the office for about 2 hours and your other information is purely anecdotal. I was there, working, for 10 weeks. Most of the work does not come from NYC, that's just blatantly untrue. And I am not "extremely introverted" haha.

But thanks for playing. In the future, it's probably best to stick with what you actually know. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Any offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:50 pm

I can confirm that offers have gone out.

To the poster who spent time at Skadden Boston, why do you think there's such a common misconception about the office? Is there any truth to it? For example, a particular partner who is awful?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can confirm that offers have gone out.

To the poster who spent time at Skadden Boston, why do you think there's such a common misconception about the office? Is there any truth to it? For example, a particular partner who is awful?
For those who have offers - when was your CB?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
For those who have offers - when was your CB?
Turnaround time was about 2 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Can someone comment a bit more about Skadden Boston? How does it compare with other Boston firms, particularly the 100-300 lawyer firms, in terms of transactional work? Are the hours much more intense?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:08 pm

bumping to see if anyone know anything else about skadden's boston office.

any insight into offer rates? hours? how many SAs they hire?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Offer rates seem to be 100%. Everyone I met there seemed to be nice, but I obviously can't speak to how it is day in day out. Also curious about its reputation in general in Boston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Also interested

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”