Suit on Flight/Lunch Attire Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
henry flower

Bronze

Suit on Flight/Lunch Attire

Post by henry flower » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:08 am

Are you not supposed to wear a suit on a flight? It seems like I've read that somewhere at some point in time. Is it because it gets wrinkly/creasy in bad places? How bad is it? What if the flight is, like, slightly less than two hours?

I have a lunch meeting/interview/schmoozefest right when I get off the plane, basically. Probably should have asked for attire, but didn't. Place is nice but not 4 star or anything. Suit? Suit sans tie? Hawaiian shirt, gold chain, and cargo shorts?

Can I bring a suitbag and a rolly carryon on the plane without paying extra? Will the firm reimburse me?

Thanks for tolerating my retarded Qs. First CB=nerves outta control. Wish me luck TLSers.

Anonymous User

Re: Suit on Flight/Lunch Attire

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:10 am

henry flower wrote:Are you not supposed to wear a suit on a flight? It seems like I've read that somewhere at some point in time. Is it because it gets wrinkly/creasy in bad places? How bad is it? What if the flight is, like, slightly less than two hours?

I have a lunch meeting/interview/schmoozefest right when I get off the plane, basically. Probably should have asked for attire, but didn't. Place is nice but not 4 star or anything. Suit? Suit sans tie? Hawaiian shirt, gold chain, and cargo shorts?

Can I bring a suitbag and a rolly carryon on the plane without paying extra? Will the firm reimburse me?

Thanks for tolerating my retarded Qs. First CB=nerves outta control. Wish me luck TLSers.
You'll be fine in a suit if you want to wear one. Just make sure no one spills on you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
henry flower wrote:Are you not supposed to wear a suit on a flight? It seems like I've read that somewhere at some point in time. Is it because it gets wrinkly/creasy in bad places? How bad is it? What if the flight is, like, slightly less than two hours?

You'll be fine in a suit if you want to wear one. Just make sure no one spills on you.
Haha, any spill hazard surely comes from yours truly. Also=Italian. Love the food, but SO MESSY. Probably too many utensils. I prefer things that I can eat with my hands, like burritos and pizza.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Haha, any spill hazard surely comes from yours truly. Also=Italian. Love the food, but SO MESSY. Probably too many utensils. I prefer things that I can eat with my hands, like burritos and pizza.
Sorry for anon. That was me. But yeah, just don't spill on yourself. I can see it now. Eating a burrito...hitting turbulence...burrito all over your shirt. Instant no-offer. Don't stress, and good luck!

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 am

Didn't mean to use anon above. So... will a two-hour flight wrinkle my suit and make it look crappy? And other Qs presented in OP. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:16 am

henry flower wrote:Didn't mean to use anon above. So... will a two-hour flight wrinkle my suit and make it look crappy? And other Qs presented in OP. Thanks!
No, you'll be okay. You suit in a suit all the time. Yes, wear a suit if you're schmoozefest is immediately after. Traveling and changing is a pain.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:20 am

ph14 wrote:
henry flower wrote:Didn't mean to use anon above. So... will a two-hour flight wrinkle my suit and make it look crappy? And other Qs presented in OP. Thanks!
No, you'll be okay. You suit in a suit all the time. Yes, wear a suit if you're schmoozefest is immediately after. Traveling and changing is a pain.
Sweet, thanks for the help and the well-wishes. I love the firms, so I am PSYCHED. And nervous (well, more like jittery) out of my mind. I need some Rocky theme music pronto.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:23 am

If you have to be there right away you can wear a suit. It'll wrinkle a bit, but there is no avoiding it.

Definitely wear a full suit with tie to a callback lunch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:If you have to be there right away you can wear a suit. It'll wrinkle a bit, but there is no avoiding it.

Sort of in CB/Screener limbo, this one. There are no interviews before or afterwards (that I know of). But then I got a CB dinner later (for another awesome firm), and they said bizcaj or suit, whatevs, and stressed its informality (serious callbackin' on that one the next day). I might do suit, blue shirt, no tie for that dinner.

Aspie question alert! Do I bring padfolio with app materials to lunch? No, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:28 am

You can ask a flight attendant to hang the jacket up in the front of the plane. There is usually room in the closet.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:28 am

Damn it, not supposed to be anon. SORRY!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If you have to be there right away you can wear a suit. It'll wrinkle a bit, but there is no avoiding it.

Sort of in CB/Screener limbo, this one. There are no interviews before or afterwards (that I know of). But then I got a CB dinner later (for another awesome firm), and they said bizcaj or suit, whatevs, and stressed its informality (serious callbackin' on that one the next day). I might do suit, blue shirt, no tie for that dinner.

Aspie question alert! Do I bring padfolio with app materials to lunch? No, right?
Yes if it's a CB/Screener. CBs I haven't needed a resume or transcript, but always good to be prepared. Maybe bring a professional looking bag and put it in there.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 am

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes if it's a CB/Screener. CBs I haven't needed a resume or transcript, but always good to be prepared. Maybe bring a professional looking bag and put it in there.
No professional-looking bags! Damn it. I meet at the office first, and then we all go to lunch. Bring resume-filled padfolio to office--Leave it if not needed?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 am

henry flower wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No professional-looking bags! Damn it. I meet at the office first, and then we all go to lunch. Bring resume-filled padfolio to office--Leave it if not needed?

Yes, definitely. You can leave your stuff at reception too if you have bags.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:44 am

ph14 wrote:Eating a burrito...hitting turbulence...burrito all over your shirt. Instant no-offer. Don't stress, and good luck!
I can't remember the last time I had a serious (non-pretzel/peanut/cracker) meal on a domestic flight.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:45 am

bk187 wrote:
ph14 wrote:Eating a burrito...hitting turbulence...burrito all over your shirt. Instant no-offer. Don't stress, and good luck!
I can't remember the last time I had a serious (non-pretzel/peanut/cracker) meal on a domestic flight.
What TTT airline do you fly?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:46 am

ph14 wrote:What TTT airline do you fly?
I pretty much only fly TTT airlines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 am

I've brought a hanging bag and changed in the airport bathroom. It's not that bad for ppl like me who tend to spill at the worst possible times. (shortens the window of possibility for such things).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:22 pm

Almost all planes have closets that you can put your garment bags in. Why wear a wrinkled suit/get your suit smelly from the plane?

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm

If you wear the suit, tell the attendant you have an interview and ask them to hang your jacket. It's technically for first class but if you're nice most will do it for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”