Is it good to have a personal connection with your boss? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it good to have a personal connection with your boss?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi,

I need some advice from the TLS.

I am going to start at a firm this October. Since my SA at this firm, I have had a really good relationship with a partner, who was my supervisor for the summer, and will probably be my direct boss when I start.

I am not sure whether it is a good idea to make the partner a close friend in my life, because I always treat people at work professionally- never make friends with them after work.

What would you do, if the partner invites you to his family event/activity? Is it bad to get too personal?

P.S.- I am male, over 30. The young-hot-gullible-female-associate story does not apply.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Re: Is it good to have a personal connection with your boss?

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 pm

People at some firms do form close friendships, even across partner-associate lines. I think it's a good thing. It's not like a romantic relationship, where eventually you'll break up and it'll be awkward for everyone around you.

Gorki

Silver

Re: Is it good to have a personal connection with your boss?

Post by Gorki » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

I need some advice from the TLS.

I am going to start at a firm this October. Since my SA at this firm, I have had a really good relationship with a partner, who was my supervisor for the summer, and will probably be my direct boss when I start.

I am not sure whether it is a good idea to make the partner a close friend in my life, because I always treat people at work professionally- never make friends with them after work.

What would you do, if the partner invites you to his family event/activity? Is it bad to get too personal?

P.S.- I am male, over 30. The young-hot-gullible-female-associate story does not apply.
Depends on how "close" these events are, and which part of the country you are in. How old is the partner? Some of the older attorneys I meet subscribe to the mentor/protege approach, which involves a more personal relationship than the typical corporate/professional balance. I guess personally it would be a little awkward with me unless I was working with the partner a lot, in which case I would treat it as him wanting to take you under his wing.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”