State Court Clerkships Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Diamond

State Court Clerkships

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Anyone heard back from Minnesota or Vermont yet? Minnesota was due August 1, and Vermont closes in the next day or two.

Gorki

Silver

Re: State Court Clerkships

Post by Gorki » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:44 pm

kalvano wrote:Anyone heard back from Minnesota or Vermont yet? Minnesota was due August 1, and Vermont closes in the next day or two.
It took over a month for Minnesota last year. Did you do Minn. Ct. App., supreme court, or both?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Would love to keep this thread going with relevant information for all state court clerkships if possible... will share any info I have ... focusing on NC state courts ... have sent stuff in but not heard anything yet.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Gorki wrote:
kalvano wrote:Anyone heard back from Minnesota or Vermont yet? Minnesota was due August 1, and Vermont closes in the next day or two.
It took over a month for Minnesota last year. Did you do Minn. Ct. App., supreme court, or both?

I did both. Do you know if they send a ding letter, or is it just silence? Assuming the timeline holds true, they should start sending things out in the next couple of weeks.

For reference:

School: T60
Additional: Ed. Board Secondary Journal, published
States & Courts Applied: Maine Supreme & Superior, New Hampshire SSC & COA, Vermont SSC & COA, Connecticut SSC & COA, Pennsylvania SSC & COA, Massachusetts SSC & COA, Rhode Island SSC, North Carolina SSC & COA, Minnesota SSC & COA, Wisconsin SSC & COA, Oregon SSC & COA, Washington SSC & COA

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:32 pm

kalvano wrote:
Gorki wrote:

I did both. Do you know if they send a ding letter, or is it just silence? Assuming the timeline holds true, they should start sending things out in the next couple of weeks.

For reference:

School: T60
Additional: Ed. Board Secondary Journal, published
States & Courts Applied: Maine Supreme & Superior, New Hampshire SSC & COA, Vermont SSC & COA, Connecticut SSC & COA, Pennsylvania SSC & COA, Massachusetts SSC & COA, Rhode Island SSC, North Carolina SSC & COA, Minnesota SSC & COA, Wisconsin SSC & COA, Oregon SSC & COA, Washington SSC & COA
The two people from my school that were dinged from Minn. were at the Court of Appeals and they got a snail mail ding. Only people I know at SC of MN got offers... I got the impression that the gears of the MN appellate bureaucracy moved rather slowly though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Most states seem to move pretty slow. It's cool, though. As long as I haven't been officially dinged, there is still hope, right? RIGHT?

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:39 pm

kalvano wrote:Most states seem to move pretty slow. It's cool, though. As long as I haven't been officially dinged, there is still hope, right? RIGHT?
CoA hires from across the board. I think it might be the make-up of that court is a bit more diverse as to alma mater. SC of MN used to be entirely U of Minn. + 1 William Mitchell grad who hired heavily from Univ. of Minn., a few from the other Minnesota schools... Last year they had two T6 clerks. A few days ago a SC justice retired, and the pick to replace her has a Yale UG / Harvard JD, and I am not sure if this sudden shake-up will alter their clerk picking process... Sorry if that was too much of a digression.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Gorki wrote:
kalvano wrote:Most states seem to move pretty slow. It's cool, though. As long as I haven't been officially dinged, there is still hope, right? RIGHT?
CoA hires from across the board. I think it might be the make-up of that court is a bit more diverse as to alma mater. SC of MN used to be entirely U of Minn. + 1 William Mitchell grad who hired heavily from Univ. of Minn., a few from the other Minnesota schools... Last year they had two T6 clerks. A few days ago a SC justice retired, and the pick to replace her has a Yale UG / Harvard JD, and I am not sure if this sudden shake-up will alter their clerk picking process... Sorry if that was too much of a digression.

No, that's good to know. A lot of states are sort of "black box" once the apps are in. So it sounds like SSC is out, but COA might be possible then?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:17 pm

T10, Bottom 25%, Good LOR
Interview with a judge in VA (richmond). A few courts at MD have hired.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 am

Waiting to hear back from a TON of states - only RI SC has let me know they have made offers. A good portion (HI, NM, CO) have said they are holding onto my application as they don't make decisions until later. For the majority, there has been complete silence (VT, MA, CT, NH, NV, MN).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Still waiting to hear from Texas SC and 1st/14th COA.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still waiting to hear from Texas SC and 1st/14th COA.

I don't even think they've started looking at apps there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still waiting to hear from Texas SC and 1st/14th COA.
I don't even think they've started looking at apps there.
I know at least one coa judge has started looking at apps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Any word on Vermont SSC? Apps closed this past Thursday, and interviews supposedly this Thursday and Friday. Assuming if I haven't heard back by end of today, then thanks but no thanks?

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting to hear back from a TON of states - only RI SC has let me know they have made offers. A good portion (HI, NM, CO) have said they are holding onto my application as they don't make decisions until later. For the majority, there has been complete silence (VT, MA, CT, NH, NV, MN).
Our (BU) CDO's website has a section where clerkship interviewees post surveys about their interviews, and after going through those, it looks like MA doesn't begin making interview calls until the first week or two of September.

waitlistedddd

New

Post by waitlistedddd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 pm

I recommend you spend your summer making money, not clerking for free. Many companies will hire you at a paralegal's wage/salary.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:37 pm

waitlistedddd wrote:I recommend you spend your summer making money, not clerking for free. Many companies will hire you at a paralegal's wage/salary.

No one is talking about working for free. What are you talking about?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:37 pm

nevdash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Waiting to hear back from a TON of states - only RI SC has let me know they have made offers. A good portion (HI, NM, CO) have said they are holding onto my application as they don't make decisions until later. For the majority, there has been complete silence (VT, MA, CT, NH, NV, MN).
Our (BU) CDO's website has a section where clerkship interviewees post surveys about their interviews, and after going through those, it looks like MA doesn't begin making interview calls until the first week or two of September.

Any other states covered? PM if you prefer.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 pm

waitlistedddd wrote:I recommend you spend your summer making money, not clerking for free. Many companies will hire you at a paralegal's wage/salary.
First, we're not talking about summer internships; we're talking about actual clerkships. Second, working for a judge over the summer is a much better career move than 95% of other 1L summer jobs, including paid positions. Please get a fucking clue before you post.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 pm

kalvano wrote:
nevdash wrote:

Any other states covered? PM if you prefer.
Looks like CT SC interviews the first week of September, NH SC the second week of September, RI SC and WI SC the first week of August. Those are the only state courts listed.

waitlistedddd

New

Post by waitlistedddd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:42 pm

nevdash wrote:
First, we're not talking about summer internships; we're talking about actual clerkships. Second, working for a judge over the summer is a much better career move than 95% of other 1L summer jobs, including paid positions. Please get a fucking clue before you post.
so how bad is it if you took a paid position but had great legal writing experience? am i locked out forever.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:44 pm

waitlistedddd wrote:
nevdash wrote:
so how bad is it if you took a paid position but had great legal writing experience? am i locked out forever.
This isn't the thread for questions like this. Go ask in one of the tons of random employment threads.

waitlistedddd

New

Post by waitlistedddd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 pm

kalvano wrote:
waitlistedddd wrote:
nevdash wrote:
This isn't the thread for questions like this. Go ask in one of the tons of random employment threads.
ok i'll go do that. i have a crush on a girl clerking for the state supreme court here. cool. thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:18 pm

so I guess next two weeks should be big in terms of starting to hear back?

wish there was a bit more transparency and communication about when I can expect to hear!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Anyone hear about movement on MN Sup Ct or CoA?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”