Below median w/ in-house offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Below median w/ in-house offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:18 am

2L - Struck out at OCI...Should I even bother with Firms? I nabbed a spot at a small start-up that has a good shot at making it. Pay isn't great but I cant see a halfway decent firm bothering with a <Median guy even if I have good experience in my field...thoughts?

Edit: I go to a TT in a Large market.

Anonymous User

Re: Below median w/ in-house offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Bumpppp

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 pm

are they considering hiring you after graduation?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:41 pm

Take the in-house offer, keep hustling, if you find something better, start thinking about how to make it work for you (whether that means ultimately turning down the company or else splitting with the company being your second half).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm

They said they would. Problem is I'd only be working under 1 attorney so I'm worried about the breadth of experience I would get/training. Salary upon graduation would aprox. be 65K plus a minor private equity option in the company (bumps total pay to like 75K at best). Im wary of hitching my wagon to 1 attorney at a start-up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:58 pm

What are the current exit strategy for the company? You don't need to answer this ITT, but it is something you should consider. The exit method and time frame should factor into your decision because you will likely need to be looking for a new job at that point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:37 pm

CyLaw wrote:What are the current exit strategy for the company? You don't need to answer this ITT, but it is something you should consider. The exit method and time frame should factor into your decision because you will likely need to be looking for a new job at that point.
Since it's Anon....
The company is in the entertainment industry. We deal with all of the major production companies so the exit would (hopefully) be to lateral over to one of the majors. There is a lot of interaction so hopefully I can build some connections. I dont know when I would be able to lateral over though.

I should have said this earlier but I worked for the company over the summer and they offered me to come back full time. They said at the very least work p/t during the year and full during next summer. Exact words from the CEO were "We will need to build the Business/Legal affairs departement when you graduate so we'd like you to grow into the role."

Still worried about the prospect of never practicing in a firm...

Edit: Thanks for the replies btw

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CyLaw wrote:What are the current exit strategy for the company? You don't need to answer this ITT, but it is something you should consider. The exit method and time frame should factor into your decision because you will likely need to be looking for a new job at that point.
Since it's Anon....
The company is in the entertainment industry. We deal with all of the major production companies so the exit would (hopefully) be to lateral over to one of the majors. There is a lot of interaction so hopefully I can build some connections. I dont know when I would be able to lateral over though.

I should have said this earlier but I worked for the company over the summer and they offered me to come back full time. They said at the very least work p/t during the year and full during next summer. Exact words from the CEO were "We will need to build the Business/Legal affairs departement when you graduate so we'd like you to grow into the role."

Still worried about the prospect of never practicing in a firm...

Edit: Thanks for the replies btw
It sounds to me like you won the below-median TT lottery. I would take that offer and run. I would also work there during the year to start getting as much experience as you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”