Clerking in Screener Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerking in Screener

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:17 pm

If a firm is a litigation firm can i say one of the factors that interested in me in transfering was clerking was better clerkship prospects?

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Clerking in Screener

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a firm is a litigation firm can i say one of the factors that interested in me in transfering was clerking was better clerkship prospects?
My question goes to a bigger picture: should you be talking clerkship aspirations during a screener at all? At least in the markets I interviewed, this was generally not a good idea.

Also, I know this is an internet message board and all, but that sentence was painful to read. Hope you're moar diligent with your work product, OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:29 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If a firm is a litigation firm can i say one of the factors that interested in me in transfering was clerking was better clerkship prospects?
My question goes to a bigger picture: should you be talking clerkship aspirations during a screener at all? At least in the markets I interviewed, this was generally not a good idea.

Also, I know this is an internet message board and all, but that sentence was painful to read. Hope you're moar diligent with your work product, OP.
I'm sorry the sentence was painful, but I'm happy it gave you opportunity for snark.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

I'm sorry the sentence was painful, but I'm happy it gave you opportunity for snark.
So we're just going to ignore the substantive part, eh? Cool.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

So we're just going to ignore the substantive part, eh? Cool.
I actually tend to agree with you on the substantive part. Issue was that I transferred and moved from Market X to Market Y. I have an interview for a firm in Market X and I will be asked why I left their market. Because they are a litigation firm I thought that might play but...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Some firms love clerks, so that would be a good reason for them. Other firms don't. Check their websites and ask around. Do they have a special application process for clerks? Are many of their lawyers clerks? Did your interviewer clerk? etc.

I interviewed with a boutique firm known for hiring mostly clerks and was asked, "Do you plan on clerking?" I answered, "Yes." I think that was the right answer.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:15 pm

I agree that it depends. Obviously don't be weird and bring it up sua sponte, but I've had screeners and callback interviewers ask me if I want to clerk or I've thought about it and I tell them the truth: yes. For a lot of candidates who want to do litigation or have great grades, clerking seems like a natural option or thing to do. In addition, if you really do want to clerk, why wouldn't you want to just be upfront about it? Better to find a firm that would not punish you for it, and if they would, then it's better than you get them out now.

If you're competitive for clerking at the federal level, you probably have options enough that you don't need to worry about a few firms not liking it.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some firms love clerks, so that would be a good reason for them. Other firms don't. Check their websites and ask around. Do they have a special application process for clerks? Are many of their lawyers clerks? Did your interviewer clerk? etc.

I interviewed with a boutique firm known for hiring mostly clerks and was asked, "Do you plan on clerking?" I answered, "Yes." I think that was the right answer.
I had a firm that asked me about clerking today in a screener. It caught me a bit off-guard so I just answered honestly and said I'm thinking about it and probably going to try for a fed clerkship, or state supreme court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 pm

I usually talked more big picture and said that I transferred to keep options open. If clerking specifically came up, I was honest about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”