Thoughts on Weil NY? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts on Weil NY?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:10 am

Going to be doing a callback - in the event that I receive an offer, I am considering accepting on the spot. Thus, though it's a bit premature, I'd like to know additional info on the firm.

Anyone have insight on the firm's financial security, culture, etc.? Thanks.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Re: Thoughts on Weil NY?

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Going to be doing a callback - in the event that I receive an offer, I am considering accepting on the spot. Thus, though it's a bit premature, I'd like to know additional info on the firm.

Anyone have insight on the firm's financial security, culture, etc.? Thanks.
What is the advantage of accepting on the spot? It's perfectly fine to sit on the offer to figure it out. You don't want to make a hasty decision.

Best advice to find out additional info - reach out to people in the firm. Talk to as many people as you need to. Also, schedule a 2nd visit if you get an offer and still need more info. This is a significant career decision; take the time to make an informed choice.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 am

(doesn't know anything of consequence about the firm)

(considering accepting a hypothetical offer on the spot)

SMH

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 pm

patrickd139 wrote:(doesn't know anything of consequence about the firm)

SMH
(assumes that I don't know anything of consequence about the firm from the fact that I asked for perspectives)

(is a douchebag)

SMD

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:50 pm

SMH
But it's in the Vault top 10 law firms!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:

SMH
(assumes that I don't know anything of consequence about the firm from the fact that I asked for perspectives)

(is a douchebag)

SMD
Did you know that most of the class of 2011 started in January? Did you know they received only a $10,000 salary advance to tide them over until Jamuary?

HMD

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:12 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

SMH

(is a douchebag)

SMD
Did you know that most of the class of 2011 started in January? Did you know they received only a $10,000 salary advance to tide them over until Jamuary?

HMD
The office I was at had changed the starting date for 2012 to the normal August start date (or whatever the more typical start date is), if I remember what they told us correctly. (I know for sure 2013 was starting at the earlier time.) And they gave you a $5,000 advance if you wanted it. I think this was for all offices, but it may have just been my (non-NYC) office.

I only heard positive things about the NY office from people at my office (and I knew a couple of SA's at the NY office). That said, I have pretty limited knowledge about that office.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

SMH

(is a douchebag)

SMD

HMD
The office I was at had changed the starting date for 2012 to the normal August start date (or whatever the more typical start date is), if I remember what they told us correctly. (I know for sure 2013 was starting at the earlier time.) And they gave you a $5,000 advance if you wanted it. I think this was for all offices, but it may have just been my (non-NYC) office.

I only heard positive things about the NY office from people at my office (and I knew a couple of SA's at the NY office). That said, I have pretty limited knowledge about that office.
Yes, I know people in the class of 2011 who started earlier, but many in NY started last January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:38 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

HMD

Yes, I know people in the class of 2011 who started earlier, but many in NY started last January.
Not sure what you're trying to say. Are you talking about deferrals? Yes, Weil deferred people, that's not a secret. But they also paid them to defer (it was not a salary advance, it was actually paying them to defer). I think this is fairly accurate: http://abovethelaw.com/2009/07/weil-got ... 1-or-2012/

I know people who voluntarily deferred and really enjoyed the year off. I know some people in the previous class (who did not have the option I believe, they were just deferred)--opinions were more split about it (some weren't the most enthusiastic about it, and one person thought it was awesome, since there were no restrictions or requirements whatsoever, unlike the second year deferrals occurred, and they just traveled for a year). My understanding was that Weil chose to defer people instead of no offering, at least that's what happened at the office I was at. Seems way more humane to me, but maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

SMH

(is a douchebag)

SMD

HMD
I don't think you got the cue to leave the thread. I could say a few things to refute your contention that Weil is in a rough financial condition, but if I had wanted to begin a thread for argument sake, I would have done that.

So instead of further picking a fight with you, please think back -- like a mature kid -- and decide for yourself whether you jumped the gun.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:04 am

Not sure what you're trying to say. Are you talking about deferrals? Yes, Weil deferred people, that's not a secret. But they also paid them to defer (it was not a salary advance, it was actually paying them to defer). I think this is fairly accurate: http://abovethelaw.com/2009/07/weil-got ... 1-or-2012/
That's not talking about the class of 2011...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think you got the cue to leave the thread. I could say a few things to refute your contention that Weil is in a rough financial condition, but if I had wanted to begin a thread for argument sake, I would have done that.

So instead of further picking a fight with you, please think back -- like a mature kid -- and decide for yourself whether you jumped the gun.
I don't think you got the cue to stop being an idiot. You wanted to know shit before you did something very immature and accepted your offer on the spot. I'm not implying that Weil is financially unstable. I'm just giving you facts so you can make a more informed decision.

I do find it funny that Weil is the only V10 firm to treat the class of 2011 this way. But I guess some kids will do anything for V10 statu... Oh wait, you really just want to do bankruptcy and have had a passion for it since the day you were born.

But seriously, you started a thread asking for info. You got it. There's no need to be a piece of shit when you don't get answers that you like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 am

They probably wanted good information--not misleading "facts" from some kid upset he didn't get a callback. They have given 100% offers for at least the last 3 years in a row....class of 2012 (that is this year to the reject with bad advice) had the option to start first thing after the bar--from my understanding most people took that option.

Also to the reject with terrible advice--they are far from the only V10 to make deferrals or layoffs....just read something before you make such broad statements that are completely false. latham obviously made layoffs and a number of the other V10 firms made cutbacks, deferrals, and changes in their "standard" hiring and start dates to accommodate the economic downturn. The rejects statements are wrong and show his immaturity--my guess is he uses the same logic on his law school exams and that is why he is striking out at OCI.

But to the original OP--absolutely no need to accept on the spot--in fact, I would question someone who did that. It doesn't show commitment as much as it shows that you will make very large decisions without fully grasping and thinking about the new situation (getting an offer is a new situation even if you planning to get one).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 am

Umm... What???

I never even interviewed with Weil. I'm not sure if I even bid them (sorry, cant remember my bid list from years ago). You seem really fucking stupid.

1) I never said "peer" firms didn't do layoffs or deferrals. I said that no other V10 firm deferred the class of 2011.

2) Weil did no offer summers in 2009. I think this was well documented on ATL. Fuck, my friend was one of them. They also no offered in 2010. Again, I knew one of the no offers (though, granted, his/her no offer was not for financial reasons).

Also, did not really purport to give advice except for not accepting any offer on the spot. Was just stating some facts.

But Jesus wow. Flabbergasted by the display of retardation above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:33 am

reject--what is are you doing with your life now at 9:34 am on Wednesday and not in law school reject?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am

To everyone using anon:

Don't use it to be a dick. Even if you're revealing personal information, from here on out ITT if you use it to attack other posters I will not hesitate to out you. If you're revealing personal info, at least have some decorum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Thoughts on cb-offer turnaround? Had cb on Monday evening but it seems like many of the top firms have a waiting period of only one or two days. I know it doesn't make a difference at this point but it would be great to know if any offers have gone out already...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
That's not talking about the class of 2011...
(This is the anon who isn't being a dick and making personal attacks)

I think Weil offered voluntary deferrels for class of 2010 and 2011 during that same year. (I think that's right?) I just know that there was a two year period of deferrels, the first year I think was mandatory and the second was voluntary. I don't think anyone got no offered in either class at the non-nyc office I was at. (I think this is all accurate, but not 100%)

In any case, 10K "advance" for deferrels is most certainly wrong. People being deferred were paid substantial amounts of money to not come in to work--it was not a salary advancement and it was much more than 10K (The ATL article said 75K). The do offer salary advancements for 3Ls starting after graduating for the summer. That amount is 5K (probably down from 10K because they start in the fall now and not January).

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:29 pm

That's correct. Prior deferrals received a substantial stipend. But Class of 2011 deferred until last January received only a $10,000 salary advance.

If the salary advance is now $5,000 for starting on time, thats still substantially below market. Every V10 offers at least a $10,000 salary advance, with three firms offering stipends in lieu of or in addition to the salary advance.

Thanks for being more respectful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:That's correct. Prior deferrals received a substantial stipend. But Class of 2011 deferred until last January received only a $10,000 salary advance.

If the salary advance is now $5,000 for starting on time, thats still substantially below market. Every V10 offers at least a $10,000 salary advance, with three firms offering stipends in lieu of or in addition to the salary advance.

Thanks for being more respectful.
(Same non-dick anon)

Oh, okay, I think I know what you're saying. Class of 2011 was "deferred" from Fall of 2011 to January 2012 and only received a $10,000 salary advance. Right? I can say that I am pretty confident that class of 2012 was starting in Fall 2012. (And class of 2013 will be starting in Fall 2013.) Looking back over what I have from a non-NYC Weil office, the bonus is a little over 5K salary advance (but not 10K). I don't know if this is just this office or all offices though. I'll be honest though: I have zero complaints about the benefits that are being offered, but maybe I'm just easy to please.

(Please also note, this anon was never the anon above that was being a dickhead to you.)

Jdif

New

Post by Jdif » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Is Weil good at anything besides bankruptcy and baiting law firm awards?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Jdif wrote:Is Weil good at anything besides bankruptcy and baiting law firm awards?
Yes: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/uk/Firms/8146-70618

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Wait--are you saying that Weil does not give a 14-15K stipend for bar classes and preparing for the bar exam?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wait--are you saying that Weil does not give a 14-15K stipend for bar classes and preparing for the bar exam?
The salary advancement is for whatever. It's my understanding that weil also provides full reimbursement for bar exam expenses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:I don't think you got the cue to stop being an idiot. You wanted to know shit before you did something very immature and accepted your offer on the spot. I'm not implying that Weil is financially unstable. I'm just giving you facts so you can make a more informed decision.

I do find it funny that Weil is the only V10 firm to treat the class of 2011 this way. But I guess some kids will do anything for V10 statu... Oh wait, you really just want to do bankruptcy and have had a passion for it since the day you were born.

But seriously, you started a thread asking for info. You got it. There's no need to be a piece of shit when you don't get answers that you like.
OP here,

Much of what you wrote is based on a misinterpretation of why I began this thread (I haven't received an offer yet...), as well as my intentions.

Also, my response was largely to "HMD". In retrospect, I'm not sure whether it was a pejorative statement or your actual signature. If it was your signature, then I do apologize for my comment.

--

Thanks everyone for helpful insight about the firm. Appreciate the discussion and general summer-offer info.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”