What area should I express interest in for mass/mail Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What area should I express interest in for mass/mail

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:01 am

I am in my second federal clerkship (first was art. I, this one is art. III). I also have an LLM in tax and was a CPA prior to law school. I don't know whether to focus on general litigation when applying to firms or transactional/corporate.

I don't have a preference one way or the other. Got the LLM because I didn't have a job at graduation. Then lucked into a clerkship. The clerkships give me some general lit experience and are definitely more beneficial for that, however, my prior work experience and LLM scream transactional or corporate.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

traehekat

Gold

Re: What area should I express interest in for mass/mail

Post by traehekat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:22 am

I would think you would get a bigger bump from the clerkships with litigation than you would from your prior experience and LLM with corporate/transactional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am in my second federal clerkship (first was art. I, this one is art. III). I also have an LLM in tax and was a CPA prior to law school. I don't know whether to focus on general litigation when applying to firms or transactional/corporate.

I don't have a preference one way or the other. Got the LLM because I didn't have a job at graduation. Then lucked into a clerkship. The clerkships give me some general lit experience and are definitely more beneficial for that, however, my prior work experience and LLM scream transactional or corporate.

Advice is greatly appreciated.
Focus on both. I did that for a large majority of firms and I had about 30 interviews. Most students change their interests anyways so these are not set in stone...

"I am most drawn to your practice in the areas of corporate transactional and litigation work."

Obviously, make sure a firm spepcializes in both of these areas first. That being said, there are a very small number firms that don't focus on both (Quinn- Litigation only). You should be fine for the most part.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 am

Umm tax?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”