Keg Gives Advice on Getting a BigLaw SA Post-OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Platinum

Re: Keg Gives Advice on Getting a BigLaw SA Post-OCI

Post by keg411 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Jessuf wrote:1.) How do you suggest I word my e-mail when following up on a screener? I don't have anything new or exciting to add. In addition, what about a CB? Should I just remain silent even if almost two months have passed? I sent something a month ago because I had an update, but no response yet.

2.) Since I struck out at OCI and am done mass mailing in my current market + home secondary, I am now mass mailing all over the country (offices in pretty much every city I'd be ok living in long term). How do I show a desire/willingness to work in a city I don't have ties in?
1) For screener follow-ups, I e-mailed the interviewer directly and basically just said that I enjoyed the interview and was still interested in the firm. You may want to attach your transcript/resume as a reminder. For CB follow-ups, you probably don't need to attach anything, but some type of "I'm still interested in X firm" is probably all you need. At this point, you really don't need anythign to update them with -- this is different than law school applications.

2) I think at this point, you just need to think of some type of convincing reason -- and it can be anything. Do you have close friends in the city? Do you have random distant relatives in the city so you've been there before? Is there a certain type of particular work that the firm does in that city that is particularly compelling? I think you can pretty much just come up with whatever you can along those lines.
Anonymous User wrote:To add to the questions by Jessuf.
I was told by a mass mail screener that I was going to hear by a certain date, but I have not yet heard. That date has passed. Can I contact them reiterating my interest? Should I mention that I am e-mailing them because I expected to hear earlier either way? I do not have anything substantive to add, but I also hate waiting. I also think that I might benefit by being a little pushy cause in order not to look desperate I mentioned other market where I am interviewing.

Had another interview that was not a callback, but not a screener. Meetings with partners that work in the practice areas I am interested. Already thanked them, but is it a good idea to figure from recruiter what I should expect next if things positive. A callback, or offer or what? I simply do not know what to consider what I had with them...
1) I don't think it's pushy if they gave you a date and you haven't heard anything. You don't need to add anything substantive as long as you're not e-mailing all the time.

2) If you met with multiple attorneys, it's probably a CB. I did a bunch of "no screener" interviews, and just treated them like CB's. In the mass mailing stage, most firms (at least from my experience) don't bother with screeners.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:00 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 am

Jessuf wrote:Sorry, one more I forgot to ask before:

When following up with a CB that was a while back, who should I contact? The recruiter? I'm not quite sure who was on the hiring committee from my CB.
I always just followed up with the recruiter.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Monsieur Keg share us your wisdom. How did you follow up with firms where you applied via their website. Find recruiter info, and tell her/him that you also applied via website, and then reiterate interest?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Monsieur Keg share us your wisdom. How did you follow up with firms where you applied via their website. Find recruiter info, and tell her/him that you also applied via website, and then reiterate interest?
I am bumping in this in case anyone has previous experience. Is this even worth doing, or is it just annoying the recruiters?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:56 pm

I struck out at OCI. Top 1/3rd at a T10 school. I mass mailed directly to partners. I sent my emails out in 10 firm waves (starting with firms ranked higher because they tend to fill their classes more quickly). I followed up two weeks later by just expressing continued interest. On my follow up emails I cc'd the recruiting department. Whenever I heard from career services that a firm was still looking I called up the partner I emailed and asked him for a job.

This got me several callbacks- two of which resulted in job offers at V30 firms. It also got me dozens of explicit or implicit rejections. Do not let yourself get discouraged. Not applying is the only sure fire way not to get a job.

I think it's pretty late in the process for anyone still looking. Many of the V100 firms have filled their class. Talk to your career services office because some are still looking and those firms have probably contacted your school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I struck out at OCI. Top 1/3rd at a T10 school. I mass mailed directly to partners. I sent my emails out in 10 firm waves (starting with firms ranked higher because they tend to fill their classes more quickly). I followed up two weeks later by just expressing continued interest. On my follow up emails I cc'd the recruiting department. Whenever I heard from career services that a firm was still looking I called up the partner I emailed and asked him for a job.

This got me several callbacks- two of which resulted in job offers at V30 firms. It also got me dozens of explicit or implicit rejections. Do not let yourself get discouraged. Not applying is the only sure fire way not to get a job.

I think it's pretty late in the process for anyone still looking. Many of the V100 firms have filled their class. Talk to your career services office because some are still looking and those firms have probably contacted your school.
Seems like a ballsy move but clearly it worked for you. Did you just pick an alum? Or a hiring partner?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Monsieur Keg share us your wisdom. How did you follow up with firms where you applied via their website. Find recruiter info, and tell her/him that you also applied via website, and then reiterate interest?
For firms that had stupid online forms, I'm pretty sure I either didn't really follow up or just e-mailed recruiting. Would follow the advice of the Top 1/3, T10 poster if I were you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I struck out at OCI. Top 1/3rd at a T10 school. I mass mailed directly to partners. I sent my emails out in 10 firm waves (starting with firms ranked higher because they tend to fill their classes more quickly). I followed up two weeks later by just expressing continued interest. On my follow up emails I cc'd the recruiting department. Whenever I heard from career services that a firm was still looking I called up the partner I emailed and asked him for a job.

We're stats and mass-mailing strategy twins. No offers for me yet though but got some more CBs coming up.
Except I think my CSO sucks and I hate it and it is the least helpful place ever.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Bout that time again:
keg411 wrote:Bump for people freaking out about OCI.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Advice: read this guy's thread.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=214732

He says it better than I did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”