Pre-interview "Meet & Greet?" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pre-interview "Meet & Greet?"

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:03 pm

The night before OCI interviews with a particular firm, that firm is inviting all of the interviewees over for a little (several hours long) get together at the office. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this.

Put a bunch of people competing with each other into one room, add some alcohol, and see who survives?

Has anyone attended something like this? Any advice on how to handle it? I imagine the idea is just to go around and talk to as many people as possible. Right idea? (Yes, I know I'm probably over thinking it. It just seems like it could be so very awkward).

Gorki

Silver

Re: Pre-interview "Meet & Greet?"

Post by Gorki » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The night before OCI interviews with a particular firm, that firm is inviting all of the interviewees over for a little (several hours long) get together at the office. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this.

Put a bunch of people competing with each other into one room, add some alcohol, and see who survives?

Has anyone attended something like this? Any advice on how to handle it? I imagine the idea is just to go around and talk to as many people as possible. Right idea? (Yes, I know I'm probably over thinking it. It just seems like it could be so very awkward).
Essentially you and a boat load of law students will hover around whoever shows up from the firm and ask them about the firm and what they like about working there, etc. I have been to a few, they are mostly to gauge whether you show up and if you are obviously not going to 'fit' in with the firm. It is a test to see if you can be polite to and get along with strangers who are competing with you for a select number of positions. It could help if you do some research in general on the firm and treat it as an informal pre-screening process.

It will at times be awkward, but then again it is also awkward for the associates/partners that will be flanked by tons of rising 2Ls. Just make the best of it and try to be upbeat and balance between showing a serious interest in working at the firm while understanding they are literally doing a 'fit' test to see if you are a person the firm would feel comfortable/enjoy having a drink with.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”