Inquiry Email to Smaller Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gorki

Silver

Inquiry Email to Smaller Firms

Post by Gorki » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:25 pm

I couldn't find a topic addressing this question head on, so I figured I would just see what everyone thought. I have sent out a mass mailing, but want to contact several firms in smaller cities in my state. None of the firms have a long-running summer program, but they have hired students in the past. Most of them are in my hometown in the Midwest (a pop. of ~70k).

Is there an SOP on how to do this? In my mass mailings I included the cover letter as a .pdf, but that seems awkward when the firm is not actively recruiting for a summer program. I was going to just email the appropriate person, "I am a second year student at XXXX. I am writing because I would like to work with your firm next summer. (Talk about connections to area) Blah, blah, blah..." I want them to understand that I did my research on the firm, have a genuine interest in practicing in that town, and want to know more about a future with that firm (if possible).

I plan on including a resume, and wait for them to ask for a sample or transcript. Has anybody done an inquiry mailing campaign? If so, what worked and what did you do?

I appreciate any insight. Thanks.

a11 1n

Bronze

Re: Inquiry Email to Smaller Firms

Post by a11 1n » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Just fax them this.

--ImageRemoved--

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:40 pm

In addition to my corny joke, I will actually be helpful too. I would send them a cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample. Send the whole shebang, do not make the person on the receiving end do any more work than they have to do. In the cover letter, let them know that you are unaware of whether they are actually looking to fill a position, but you have researched the firm and want to express your interest. Specifically, *insert random things to prove you have done your homework* ...

The body of the email itself should be very brief. Just a salutation, who you are, and reference them to the cover letter containing further details.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 pm

a11 1n wrote:In addition to my corny joke, I will actually be helpful too. I would send them a cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample. Send the whole shebang, do not make the person on the receiving end do any more work than they have to do. In the cover letter, let them know that you are unaware of whether they are actually looking to fill a position, but you have researched the firm and want to express your interest. Specifically, *insert random things to prove you have done your homework* ...

The body of the email itself should be very brief. Just a salutation, who you are, and reference them to the cover letter containing further details.
Great, thanks.

EDIT: Joke is credited.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:31 am

Gorki wrote:
a11 1n wrote:In addition to my corny joke, I will actually be helpful too. I would send them a cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample. Send the whole shebang, do not make the person on the receiving end do any more work than they have to do. In the cover letter, let them know that you are unaware of whether they are actually looking to fill a position, but you have researched the firm and want to express your interest. Specifically, *insert random things to prove you have done your homework* ...

Great, thanks.

EDIT: Joke is credited.
I would simply put your cover letter directly into your e-mail text. It's one less step the HR and/or hiring partner has to do to read your cover letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”