Emailing coworkers about projects before actual start date? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
What the f.supp?

Bronze

Emailing coworkers about projects before actual start date?

Post by What the f.supp? » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Really hit it off with (i.e. did a great job for) a few associates and partners during my 2L summer. I'm starting full-time in a few days. Is it weird to email a one or two partners and associates to say hello and express interest in helping out with any projects related to X area of law once I start? Alternatively, I am wondering whether this conversation would be better suited by me stopping by their offices in-person once I start at the firm? My goal is to hit the ground running.

Any thoughts? Thanks folks.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Emailing coworkers about projects before actual start date?

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Trying to line up work before starting is the most gunnerfific and obnoxious behavior imaginable. Do not do that.

I started typing up the practical reasons but... no. Just no.

Even if this is Kirkland or some other haven of free marketyness... no.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Sealocust! I thought you left TLS! I won't forget how helpful you were just before and during my SA last summer when you answered tons of the (now seemingly dumb) random questions I had about law firm stuff (like how attorney lunches work...geez). Just wanted to say thanks.

That said, I never thought my email to coworkers would come across as gunnerish. I just wanted to say that I'm excited to start work (especially since I've been sitting on my ass since the bar) and that I'm enthusiastic about this practice area and would love to help out again. I was afraid it might seem a bit creepy or over-eager, but never thought of it as gunnerish. Thanks for the input.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:50 pm

At my free market firm this sort of behavior is completely normal, if not necessary.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:23 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Sealocust! I thought you left TLS! I won't forget how helpful you were just before and during my SA last summer when you answered tons of the (now seemingly dumb) random questions I had about law firm stuff (like how attorney lunches work...geez). Just wanted to say thanks.
No hay de que.
Anonymous User wrote:At my free market firm this sort of behavior is completely normal, if not necessary.
There is not an emoticon that describes my complex reaction to this statement. I am at a loss.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my free market firm this sort of behavior is completely normal, if not necessary.
At my non-free market (but otherwise total gunner) firm they'd likely tell you to GTFO, thank god.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 pm

At my free market firm, my mentor from the summer (who is in the same practice group as I am) kept some work aside for me so I could dive right in. I didn't ask him, but, in retrospect, I think he would have been fine with me emailing him prior to my start date expressing that I was looking forward to starting and was especially interested in helping out with X type assignments should the need arise. Of course, I would probably only do this if you had a close relationship with the associate/partner and kept in touch with the person after the summer program.

Free market firms can be intense, especially if you are a first year and the firm is overstaffed. I see no problem in fighting to establish relationships early as long as you don't come across like a douche. It's highly situational and a fine line to walk, which is really impossible for anyone to evaluate but you. More important than sending this email will be doing really good work and coming across as eager and pleasant once you start. Hyper-focused attention to detail, very little vacation and willingness to put work first above all else (at least for your first year) will also get you much further than this email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”