Which decisions are easiest for you to make? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which decisions are easiest for you to make?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:32 am

Which decisions are easiest for you to make and which are more difficult?

a friend of a friend was apparently asked this. what does this even mean? where to begin? decisions like what to have for dinner are easier for me to make than deciding on which law school attend. i don't get what they are looking for here...

thoughts? examples?

thnks

jess

Re: Which decisions are easiest for you to make?

Post by jess » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:35 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 am

They are probably looking for evidence of self-evaluation. Are you more comfortable making decisions when you are an objective third party, or when you have a personal stake in the decision? Are you comfortable making decisions when you are not able to do exhaustive research or not? Are you comfortable making decisions without consulting other people?

Whatever you say is hard, you should probably follow up with a coping mechanism.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Which decisions are easiest for you to make and which are more difficult?

a friend of a friend was apparently asked this. what does this even mean? where to begin? decisions like what to have for dinner are easier for me to make than deciding on which law school attend. i don't get what they are looking for here...

thoughts? examples?

thnks
Say something pithy like, "Decisions that only involve myself are generally easier to make than those that affect other people. So, for example, deciding on what type of pizza I want to eat is easier than deciding what kind of pizza to serve to my dinner guests."

anon5225

New

Post by anon5225 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Questions like this have less to do with what your answer actually is and more how you approach the question.

I would answer the question like, "Well, decisions that have long term consequences for my life, for instance what city to live in and what to do with my career, obviously get considerably more deliberation than decisions over things that are comparatively less consequential." And then you can just segue into why you want to work in X city in X career trajectory.

They don't actually care about which decisions are more difficult for you. The interviewer isn't behind his desk thinking, "if he says anything but which pizza to eat he is OUT." They care about how you respond to questions, whether your answer is delivered confidently, and whether the content sounds like something a professional would say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:54 pm

anon5225 wrote:Questions like this have less to do with what your answer actually is and more how you approach the question.

They don't actually care about which decisions are more difficult for you. The interviewer isn't behind his desk thinking, "if he says anything but which pizza to eat he is OUT." They care about how you respond to questions, whether your answer is delivered confidently, and whether the content sounds like something a professional would say.
I disagree. It's not a problem solving question where they're looking for your analysis. They're asking you a fact about yourself. You don't make it up, you tell them which decisions are hard and which are easy.

I have a very hard time deciding what to eat for lunch, for example. On the other hand, it took me about 4 seconds to decide which law school to attend, which college to attend, to cancel an LSAT score, and make various other life altering decisions. Some people are opposite of this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”