Boston Ties Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Boston Ties

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:01 am

Going to Boston on Monday with zero ties to Boston (other than having high school friends there). Is this basically a waste of a trip for me?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Re: Boston Ties

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Going to Boston on Monday with zero ties to Boston (other than having high school friends there). Is this basically a waste of a trip for me?
Tell them how you've heard that the legal community in Boston is so much more collegial than it is in New York, and how it's much more pleasant working as a lawyer in Boston than in New York. They love hearing that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Going to Boston on Monday with zero ties to Boston (other than having high school friends there). Is this basically a waste of a trip for me?
I have been debating the same question for about a week now and I am leaning towards NOT going.
I heard you basically need a "boston address," which I do not have.

PlessFightsFire

New

Post by PlessFightsFire » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 am

I've spoken to a couple people about this. You do need a narrative and it is a bit insular but you don't have to be from boston. To OP if you could describe loving the city, wanting a more collegial atmosphere, and that several of your closest friends reside there you have a shot depending on the interviewer/your phrasing.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 am

Just say you've watch Boston Legal, they'll understand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:06 pm

I was an SA at a firm in Boston and I don't have any ties to the area, several of the other SAs did not have ties as well. As long as you can have a reason for why you want to work there (does not need to be personal), you should be fine. The market is not an insular as people make it out to be.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:12 pm

What are some of the reasons you gave for wanting to work there?

Just curious as to what reasons are sufficient to convince the firm that is where you want to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:09 pm

I mentioned liking the city, preferring it over NYC. I know that quite a few people mentioned an interest in tech/VC, very active practice areas in Boston
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:37 pm

It is absolutely not a wasted trip. Strong Boston ties make it easier, and you will likely be asked why Boston? IMO, there are so many reasons why Boston is preferable to NY. Find out which ones apply to you, and sell that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”