Knobbe GPA / Selectivity Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Knobbe GPA / Selectivity

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 pm

I was always under the impression that Knobbe, like most other Patent Prosecution places, was fairly selective in terms of grades. I am at GULC, and I noticed that our past GPA history data (which they warn us includes some years pre-recession) lists Knobbe Irvine as having hired 6 GULC students, with average GPA of 3.1-ish. Could this be accurate? If they aren't so selective - what else do they look for besides GPA?

I am top 1/3 GULC, with an ivy science degree, patent barred, no WE, and interested in IP in SoCal.

So TLS, what can you tell me about getting hired at Knobbe?

Anonymous User

Re: Knobbe GPA / Selectivity

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:31 pm

From my t30 (and with patent eligibility, obviously) I know of two people who had callbacks. One was top 1/3 with secondary journal, and one was top 10% with LR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was always under the impression that Knobbe, like most other Patent Prosecution places, was fairly selective in terms of grades. I am at GULC, and I noticed that our past GPA history data (which they warn us includes some years pre-recession) lists Knobbe Irvine as having hired 6 GULC students, with average GPA of 3.1-ish. Could this be accurate? If they aren't so selective - what else do they look for besides GPA?

I am top 1/3 GULC, with an ivy science degree, patent barred, no WE, and interested in IP in SoCal.

I can tell you that you don't want to be hired at Knobbe.

After extensive research this summer and talking to current and former associates, I found out that Knobbe is way too big and a lot of people feel like their jobs are at risk, particularly in the Irvine office. They're not promoting partners or living up to the claim that they are a "lifestyle firm" and the office climate is tense. Across the board, people are working hard and not seeing those efforts pay off.

For a piece of what I'm talking about, see here: --LinkRemoved--. There's even a new review from 3 days ago that talks about how tired associates are of the shit going down at the Irvine office.

If it were me, I'd start looking somewhere else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Oh man. Not good.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was always under the impression that Knobbe, like most other Patent Prosecution places, was fairly selective in terms of grades. I am at GULC, and I noticed that our past GPA history data (which they warn us includes some years pre-recession) lists Knobbe Irvine as having hired 6 GULC students, with average GPA of 3.1-ish. Could this be accurate? If they aren't so selective - what else do they look for besides GPA?

After extensive research this summer and talking to current and former associates, I found out that Knobbe is way too big and a lot of people feel like their jobs are at risk, particularly in the Irvine office. They're not promoting partners or living up to the claim that they are a "lifestyle firm" and the office climate is tense. Across the board, people are working hard and not seeing those efforts pay off.

For a piece of what I'm talking about, see here: --LinkRemoved--. There's even a new review from 3 days ago that talks about how tired associates are of the shit going down at the Irvine office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

THANK YOU

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

THANK YOU
No problem. I didn't want anyone else to make the mistake I almost did. Make sure you do your research, kids.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”