Callback Reimbursement Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

New

Callback Reimbursement

Post by 4444 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:12 am

I got a callback after going into the firm for a screener. When I was talking to the Legal Recruiter before the screener - he brought up that I'd hear back in a few days, and if I had a callback, the firm would pay for expenses.

I got the phone call this morning about setting up a callback for next week, but he didn't mention reimbursement when setting up the time. Can anyone give me any information on how this works? Do I just fill out the NALP form, and give it to the legal recruiter after the callback ends? What is a normal/reasonable amount to spend in NYC? Do most people only ask for the hotel and the transportation, or do you usually fill out the request for the food as well?

Any information from someone who has done this before would be very appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Callback Reimbursement

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 am

I'm wondering some of the same as you. But I have some info that might be helpful-

In your situation, I think you should casually and tactfully bring it up with the recruiter, because I imagine all of these firms have travel agent hookups (I know a firm I'm talking to did)- it'll be cheaper for them to do it that way than having you make a regular flight plan since they probably get discounts.

If you interview with multiple firms in that same city, then one firm is your host firm and they will ask other firms for reimbursements after you fill out a NALP firm writing out all of the places you interview with.

New

Post by 4444 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Any other tips on what firms consider to be "reasonable" expenses? Also - do the firms generally assume you'll put all the accommodations together if they don't bring it up?

Sorry - clearly it's my first CB, and just have no idea how this works. Any advice is appreciated!

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Did they send you the contact information for a travel agent? If they did, use it: they'll book your hotel and transportation for you and bill the firm directly. If they didn't, ask the what hotel the firm suggests. You'll find that they're probably suggest someplace lovely.

Expenses usually, but not always, includes RT taxi from the airport to your hotel, RT taxi to the firm, and reasonable expenses for meals. With that said, take NALP's advice: just ask the firm what they consider reasonable expenses before you travel.

Loose Seal

New

Post by Loose Seal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Agreed with the above -- the firm should be able to put you in touch with their legal travel agency and the people there will handle the logistics for you.

As far as reasonable meal expenditures, my firm's general reimbursement guidelines when traveling for work are about $25 for lunch and $35 for dinner. I'd say anything within $10 of this probably would not raise eyebrows, perhaps adjusting for the size of your firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:26 pm

For NYC, generally everything within reason should be recoverable.

Transportation

Taxi to airport, taxi from airport to hotel, taxi from hotel to firm (although most will put you up in hotel close by), taxi from hotel back to airport, taxi from airport home. I'm not sure if mileage driving your car to the airport is covered or not, it probably is.

Food
All meals on the road + in the city. 25/35 for lunch/dinner sounds about right, although some firms have more specific guidelines they want you to follow. I got room service a few times, particularly when I got into the city very late in the evening, and this was no problem (although was around $35).

Incidentals
I called and asked a few firms, and all were more than happy to cover the costs of things like paying 10/night for internet in the hotel. I never used the mini bar or snacks the hotel provided, and would think the firm might not want to pay those.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:49 am

So in terms of receipts to attach when requesting a reimbursement...
Would printout of a hotel/bus reservation be enough? Or what do I need?
Thanks a bunch!

New

Post by 4444 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:15 am

On average - how much would a CB to NYC amount to?

Also - how soon can you expect to get reimbursed after submitting the NALP form?

Loose Seal

New

Post by Loose Seal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So in terms of receipts to attach when requesting a reimbursement...
Would printout of a hotel/bus reservation be enough? Or what do I need?
Thanks a bunch!
You need some item that demonstrates that payment was remitted. Either a credit card statement, a ticket stub (if Bolt bus then your payment confirmation) and for your hotel you will need either your payment confirmation through orbitz or else your final bill at the end of your stay (which you get from the hotel front desk).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”