Question regarding mass mail callback Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question regarding mass mail callback

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I was offered a callback yesterday from one of the big 3 Texas firms through mass mailing without a screening interview or anything. During the call scheduling the callback the recruiting coordinator asked if I would be flying in the night before or the morning of (I'm about five hours away from the office). I said it depended on if the interview was early in the morning or in the afternoon and we decided to schedule it for the afternoon. My interview starts at 2 in the afternoon and lasts until 5. The recruiting coordinator sent me an email today confirming the interview date and times. The email did not make any mention about transportation or reimbursement of expenses or anything like that (except they told me where to park and that they would validate my parking). Should I just assume I am on my own as far as expenses go or should I ask the recruiting coordinator about their reimbursement policy? Thanks in advance.

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Re: Question regarding mass mail callback

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was offered a callback yesterday from one of the big 3 Texas firms through mass mailing without a screening interview or anything. During the call scheduling the callback the recruiting coordinator asked if I would be flying in the night before or the morning of (I'm about five hours away from the office). I said it depended on if the interview was early in the morning or in the afternoon and we decided to schedule it for the afternoon. My interview starts at 2 in the afternoon and lasts until 5. The recruiting coordinator sent me an email today confirming the interview date and times. The email did not make any mention about transportation or reimbursement of expenses or anything like that (except they told me where to park and that they would validate my parking). Should I just assume I am on my own as far as expenses go or should I ask the recruiting coordinator about their reimbursement policy? Thanks in advance.
I would ask. I would imagine that any of the big 3 would take care of expenses.

Care to tell me which firm via pm? I mass mailed them, too, and haven't heard a peep

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 pm

You should probably ask, but since it's a NALP firm there's 90% chance they'll reimburse you for travel and lodging, per the NALP recruiting rules.

I understand it can be a bit weird when you go through different channels. It'd hardly a breach of decorum to ask the recruiter if you should expect reimbursement for travel - you won't be doing any damage by asking, and it would be good to clarify before sending the firm a reimbursement form!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:You should probably ask, but since it's a NALP firm there's 90% chance they'll reimburse you for travel and lodging, per the NALP recruiting rules.

I understand it can be a bit weird when you go through different channels. It'd hardly a breach of decorum to ask the recruiter if you should expect reimbursement for travel - you won't be doing any damage by asking, and it would be good to clarify before sending the firm a reimbursement form!

Thanks for the help. It's not a big deal if I have to pay for my travel, but obviously I would like to be reimbursed if possible. I just didn't want to come across as some entitled brat and I wasn't sure if asking about reimbursement would make it seem that way.

Any suggestions on what to say in the email to the recruiting coordinator?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 am

Email Topic: Question regarding travel for callback interview

Email Body:
Dear [recruiting contact at firm],

I have a quick question regarding travel for the callback interview. This is [one of] my first interviews this recruiting season, and I'm unsure about protocol for travel arrangements. Will [firm] reimburse me for travel and/or lodging expenses - and if so, is there anybody at [the firm] I should contact?

It's not a problem to handle the logistics or expenses myself, but I wanted to check in with you before I begin making arrangements.

Thanks for the help, and I am looking forward to meeting you [relevant time period; i.e. next week],

Best,

[your name]
[your signature]
Many/most big firms have travel agencies to book travel for you, hence that specific question tossed in for good measure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”