Firms open to transferring regions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firms open to transferring regions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 am

So, I go to a Boston school, and there is a good possibility I can get an SA position here. However, I really want to be in SF/SV where I am originally from. However, my job search in SF/SV isn't going well despite having great grades and law review. Does anyone know of big firms that would be open to letting me transfer after I get an offer?

Anonymous User

Re: Firms open to transferring regions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:09 pm

It's not going to be easy from any Boston firm. Of the big ones that do have offices out there (Ropes, Goodwin, Wilmer, Bingham), the SF/SV offices range in size from 50-100 or so. I think Ropes always talks about how easy it is to switch offices, though I don't know if that actually bears out or not. Goodwin likes people to have a year at the home office before switching after an SA, though I know at least one first-year who moved out to SV in less time than that. Not sure about internal transfer policies of the other big firms here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks. Do you know how people are able to transfer after a year given that you have to take two bar exams? I imagine big law hours are long, and the CA bar exam is no walk in the park.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 pm

If it was MA to NY, I know a lot of people take them at the same time in July after graduating and before starting. CA is tougher, because I don't think the schedule lets you take any other bar at the same time. I've heard some firms will give time to let you study if they approve your transfer, but I'm getting out of my level of first hand knowledge and into more speculation here. Someone else on here probably knows more.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 pm

I had a bit of side question to this, and I feel bad that I can't add substantively to the conversation occurring, but my question doesn't warrant a new thread.

When people talk about transferring offices, do they mean immediately? For instance, I would like to eventually transfer back to Southern California (though its unlikely I'll get an offer there, if I get one at all) but I have no problem waiting 5, 10 or even twenty years. Its just sort of where I would like to rest my head, ultimately.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”