corporate law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

corporate law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 am

Truthfully, I am much more interested in litigation. But when I'm interviewing with a firm at does a lot of corporate/transactional work, what is a good answer for why I am interested in corporate? Also, what is the difference between corporate and transaction. And more broadly, what the heck is transactional?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Re: corporate law

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Truthfully, I am much more interested in litigation. But when I'm interviewing with a firm at does a lot of corporate/transactional work, what is a good answer for why I am interested in corporate? Also, what is the difference between corporate and transaction. And more broadly, what the heck is transactional?
http://www.chambers-associate.com/Artic ... aSummaries

hth

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Truthfully, I am much more interested in litigation. But when I'm interviewing with a firm at does a lot of corporate/transactional work, what is a good answer for why I am interested in corporate? Also, what is the difference between corporate and transaction. And more broadly, what the heck is transactional?
Transaction law is anything where a lawyer puts together some sort of agreement, or deal, which can range from an M&A, a finance agreement, a purchase and sale, a trust or will, a divorce decree or prenup, etc.

When people say corporate law vis-a-vis biglaw, it typically means some sort of M&A or financial transaction (e.g. LBO, IPO, etc.)

For your purposes when talking to biglaw, there's basically no difference between Transactional Work vs. Corporate Work.

But the more important question is why interview with a firm that does primarily corporate work when you want to litigate?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 am

If you are interviewing with a firm that does primarily corporate work, it's fine to express an interest in litigation. There are literally 0 big name, obvious firms that don't have - and hire - litigators for a decently sized litigation department.

Even Wachtell, probably the best known corporate/transactional law firm, has a large litigation department. Other NYC firms with big corporate departments tend to be no more than 60-70% corporate.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:48 am

thesealocust wrote:If you are interviewing with a firm that does primarily corporate work, it's fine to express an interest in litigation. There are literally 0 big name, obvious firms that don't have - and hire - litigators for a decently sized litigation department.

Even Wachtell, probably the best known corporate/transactional law firm, has a large litigation department. Other NYC firms with big corporate departments tend to be no more than 60-70% corporate.
DISCOBARRRRRRRED

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:50 am

seespotrun wrote:
thesealocust wrote:If you are interviewing with a firm that does primarily corporate work, it's fine to express an interest in litigation. There are literally 0 big name, obvious firms that don't have - and hire - litigators for a decently sized litigation department.

DISCOBARRRRRRRED
Yo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:52 am

OP here. What about Greenberg Traurig? According to NALP there isn't a litigation department in NY, its all transaction. When interviewing with them, would it be a good idea to reject litigation and just gush about transactional as much as possible?

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:53 am

thesealocust wrote:
seespotrun wrote:

DISCOBARRRRRRRED
Yo.
That's all I've got.

Side note: best of luck, OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks. I greatly approve of Louis CK

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. What about Greenberg Traurig? According to NALP there isn't a litigation department in NY, its all transaction. When interviewing with them, would it be a good idea to reject litigation and just gush about transactional as much as possible?
Only if you want a job. But you knew the answer to this question before you thread-questioned the internet.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 am

seespotrun wrote:That's all I've got.
Fair enough :lol:

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:04 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
http://www.chambers-associate.com/Artic ... aSummaries

hth
Egregious lack of Employee Benefits/ERISA coverage.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:05 am

Drafting qualified employee benefits plans is the leading cause of suicide amongst adults aged 25 to 30.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:06 am

thesealocust wrote:Drafting qualified employee benefits plans is the leading cause of suicide amongst adults children aged 25 to 30.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:07 am

thesealocust wrote:Drafting qualified employee benefits plans is the leading cause of suicide amongst adults aged 25 to 30.
Indeed. 436 is the fucking bane of my present existence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 am

bump. any good stock answers?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:bump. any good stock answers?
Because you want to create value as a lawyer. As a litigator, you are essentially playing a zero-sum game -- i.e., it's just matter how you divide the pie between the players, with the pie staying the same size.

In corporate work, everyone works to make a bigger pie, and then take their share. It can be a much more fulfilling way to practice law. You are creating value, not simply trying to divide it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:53 am

thats a really good answer... could you explain further though. How do u make the pie bigger doing transactional?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:thats a really good answer... could you explain further though. How do u make the pie bigger doing transactional?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:thats a really good answer... could you explain further though. How do u make the pie bigger doing transactional?
To take a very basic, kindergarten example. When two companies merge -- let's say Dell and Microsoft -- they do it not because they just want to be bigger (because 2+2=4 isn't really creating value), but because there is some sort of synergy in vertically integrating their different product lines.

Dell makes hardware (again a simplification) and Microsoft makes software (again a simplification), so one can imagine that if a hardware and software company merge they can eliminate some of the market inefficiencies that hardware manufacturers and software makers face when trying to integrate their products (again, assuming away and antitrust concerns).

So in the case of Microsoft merging with Dell you get 2+2+Synergy=5

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. What about Greenberg Traurig? According to NALP there isn't a litigation department in NY, its all transaction. When interviewing with them, would it be a good idea to reject litigation and just gush about transactional as much as possible?
I know someone at GT NY. NALP is wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:58 am

seespotrun wrote: Only if you want a job.
Can you get me one of these?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:07 am

keg411 wrote:
I know someone at GT NY. NALP is wrong.
Why use NALP when you can search their website: http://www.gtlaw.com/People/Search-Resu ... fice=@5801

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”