What should I know that is not on your resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What should I know that is not on your resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Any good ideas for how to respond to this question? Please keep witty yet unhelpful remarks to a minimum

Anonymous User

Re: What should I know that is not on your resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

bump

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:23 pm

how can we answer this without knowing what is not on your resume?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:38 pm

My resume is nothing more than a timeline of facts and events but there is a reason behind each of those facts and a story behind each of the events. You may know from my resume that I _______________. The reasons I did that are_____________.

Edit: The key here is to pick something meaningful from your resume that is applicable to the job/program for which you are applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm

JCFindley wrote:My resume is nothing more than a timeline of facts and events but there is a reason behind each of those facts and a story behind each of the events. You may know from my resume that I _______________. The reasons I did that are_____________.

Edit: The key here is to pick something meaningful from your resume that is applicable to the job/program for which you are applying.
this answer is pretty useless. mention an interest, hobby, specific project that isn't mentioned on there. something that links you to the city you're applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 pm

I usually talk about a skill that I have that isn't on the resume. I talk about how I'm good at time management or about how I'm passionate about what I do and that passion translates to a willingness to do what it takes to create an excellent work product. Obviously more eloquent than that...but that's just me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:37 pm

If you have a particularly menial/unusual job in HS or college, that might work. I worked at McDonalds in high school, and that was always my go-to response for that question, tying in how I learned to work with people that I did not have much in common with. It seemed to go over pretty well with firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any good ideas for how to respond to this question? Please keep witty yet unhelpful remarks to a minimum
An interviewer actually told me to say that I am an excellent writer, something that notwithstanding LR, is not at all obvious from my 100% tech resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you have a particularly menial/unusual job in HS or college, that might work. I worked at McDonalds in high school, and that was always my go-to response for that question, tying in how I learned to work with people that I did not have much in common with. It seemed to go over pretty well with firms.
No joke, I had the same job and it came up this same way in interviews. People loved it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 pm

What about talking about my summer working underage as a maintenance-man/landscaper for a hotel/marina complex?

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:50 pm

wuduhel wrote:What about talking about my summer working underage as a maintenance-man/landscaper for a hotel/marina complex?
As in employed illegally? I would shy away from any references to illegal activities. However, if you have a mildly interesting anecdote that comes along with this job then I would use it.

Generally I feel as though you can go two ways with this question. Either provide a response that highlights a specific attribute of yours or offer something that is mildly entertaining/interesting which will distinguishes you from the hordes of other candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you have a particularly menial/unusual job in HS or college, that might work. I worked at McDonalds in high school, and that was always my go-to response for that question, tying in how I learned to work with people that I did not have much in common with. It seemed to go over pretty well with firms.

Likewise. I mention that I worked for my city's garbage department and how it taught me what it takes to perform well in a bad situation. But on the flip side, it also gave me an insight into the comradery of blue collar work and in the workplace in general, and that true sources of happiness are health and family.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Likewise. I mention that I worked for my city's garbage department and how it taught me what it takes to perform well in a bad situation. But on the flip side, it also gave me an insight into the comradery of blue collar work and in the workplace in general, and that true sources of happiness are health and family.
Sounds a lot like mine: "I grew up on a goat farm, so I learned pretty early how to work harmoniously with those dumber than myself, a skill that should come in handy if I ever work at an office that includes normal human beings who didn't make Law Review."

Oooops. Look like I outed myself as a hick and a dick.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buns

New

Post by buns » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Was having a rough screener when I was asked this... I said I really liked maps, got lucky and so did one of the interviewers. Got a CB, what a miracle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:29 am

Thoughts on this answer.... my parents both immigrated to the U.S., and I grew up constantly being told how lucky I am to be here and to have the opportunities that I have, and that drives me to work hard and take make the most out of the opportunities I am given.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on this answer.... my parents both immigrated to the U.S., and I grew up constantly being told how lucky I am to be here and to have the opportunities that I have, and that drives me to work hard and take make the most out of the opportunities I am given.
If I were an immigrant, or a foreigner, I might find that offensive. In fact, I find it slightly offensive as an American who has spent a lot of time living abroad (and, like you, I am a first-generation American). I am sure there are other ways to word it, though, that don't sound jingoistic. I would stay away from poverty, too, since most big lawl people are upper middle class caucasians who have a very snobby outlook on life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:18 am

how is that offensive?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on this answer.... my parents both immigrated to the U.S., and I grew up constantly being told how lucky I am to be here and to have the opportunities that I have, and that drives me to work hard and take make the most out of the opportunities I am given.
I don't see how this is offensive or jingoistic at all. It's pretty much indisputable that the average American has more opportunities than most people globally, and framing it this way allows you to highlight both your interesting background and your good work ethic for the interviewer.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:11 am

Age, sexual orientation & social security number ? :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”