Bottom of Class T-14 Job Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bottom of Class T-14 Job Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:58 am

don't give up everyone! I was bottom 1/3 and my two friends were bottom of the class at CCN. they were both IP so were able to get IP related positions through our OCI, but I also got non-IP offers in the V30 and V100. you can do it! interviewing skills are especially important -- try to make an instant connection with the interviewer and know why you're a great fit for that firm, and you'll have a shot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Anyone else interested in PI from this positioning? Kinda think I'm more F-d. I was interviewing with a PI place at OCI and and the competition was pretty much stacked with 3Ls with journal etc.. Hopefully grades can get pulled up to something respectable by the time I graduate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Lower T-14. I'm optimistic that I'm a little bit above bottom third, but I may very well be at the top end of the bottom 1/3. In any case, I had 27 screeners (1 from mass-mailing), and maybe 6 more in boston. I've had 9 e-mail rejections so far... and 1 callback. I'm not optimistic...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:44 pm

MrAnon wrote:
McQueen wrote:Because of the bell curve and the elite factor of T-14 (and other well respected schools), seems not so long ago that median was not a dirty word and that below median was not disqualifying. One can hope that the concern over the varying degrees of median is more of a TLS phenomenon than a real world obsession.

Because of easy credit and the eagerness of banks to package more loans, seems not so long ago that no job was not a dirty phrase in the mortgage market, and no income was not disqualifying. One can hope that concern over the varying degree of unqualifiedness for a mortgage is more of a TLS phenomenon than a real world obsession.
What the hell???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lower T-14. I'm optimistic that I'm a little bit above bottom third, but I may very well be at the top end of the bottom 1/3. In any case, I had 27 screeners (1 from mass-mailing), and maybe 6 more in boston. I've had 9 e-mail rejections so far... and 1 callback. I'm not optimistic...

Care to say GPA? This is already very anon....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:51 pm

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
McQueen wrote:Because of the bell curve and the elite factor of T-14 (and other well respected schools), seems not so long ago that median was not a dirty word and that below median was not disqualifying. One can hope that the concern over the varying degrees of median is more of a TLS phenomenon than a real world obsession.

Because of easy credit and the eagerness of banks to package more loans, seems not so long ago that no job was not a dirty phrase in the mortgage market, and no income was not disqualifying. One can hope that concern over the varying degree of unqualifiedness for a mortgage is more of a TLS phenomenon than a real world obsession.
What the hell???
I get it...niceeee.

Bottom 20%, had 3 V-100 CB's and 1 V-50 Callback last year. struck out on all fronts with firms though. working in financial services now. Get out there, hustle your ass off, be personable and you never know what can happen. Also, all callbacks were NYC

Rocío

Bronze

Post by Rocío » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else interested in PI from this positioning? Kinda think I'm more F-d. I was interviewing with a PI place at OCI and and the competition was pretty much stacked with 3Ls with journal etc.. Hopefully grades can get pulled up to something respectable by the time I graduate?
Depends on what type of PI. For any Honors Program and a lot of federal programs, grades matter. But for lots of other types of PI programs, including state or local government work, your grades really don't matter. What is far more important is experience, including internships, externships and clinical involvement. PI organizations want to see a genuine commitment to their cause - you'll be hurt if it looks like you are treating PI as a fallback because you didn't get Big Law.

Journals don't matter, unless maybe if it is a Public Interest Journal. Not a single PI organization asked me about my journal work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Lower T-14, top of bottom 1/3 (lol, that sounds so sad). Had 26 interviews through my school and am sitting on 4 CBs that have yet to take place. It can't be good that they scheduled them so far out, huh? Part of me wants to think I'm still going to hear from at least two more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lower T-14, top of bottom 1/3 (lol, that sounds so sad). Had 26 interviews through my school and am sitting on 4 CBs that have yet to take place. It can't be good that they scheduled them so far out, huh? Part of me wants to think I'm still going to hear from at least two more.
If they're far out, that means you have plenty of time to devote to apps for paid federal summers and local firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lower T-14, top of bottom 1/3 (lol, that sounds so sad). Had 26 interviews through my school and am sitting on 4 CBs that have yet to take place. It can't be good that they scheduled them so far out, huh? Part of me wants to think I'm still going to hear from at least two more.
Can I ask what your gpa is? I have similar stats and have 0 CB, waiting to hear back from 10+ firms, and want to know if I'm just a shitty interviewer...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Bottom here at CCN, 18 screeners, no cbs yet. 6 rejections so far. :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can I ask what your gpa is? I have similar stats and have 0 CB, waiting to hear back from 10+ firms, and want to know if I'm just a shitty interviewer...
Between a 3.25 and a 3.3. Just got a CB from a firm I was really excited about, that puts me at 5 CBs. I'm waiting on 13 firms, same as you I'm gonna guess. Don't despair! I've been feeling really shitty in the past few weeks (has been a real challenge waking up in the morning to learn shit that I'm feeling I'll never get to use).

All 5 of my CBs came between last Friday and today. There is still hope for us, I am sure some firms will be contacting us pretty soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bottom here at CCN, 18 screeners, no cbs yet. 6 rejections so far. :cry:
Blah, I hear you, my friend. Same situation at MVP, sitting at zero, still waiting for 12 firms. We have to be patient-- fighting!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Between a 3.25 and a 3.3. Just got a CB from a firm I was really excited about, that puts me at 5 CBs. I'm waiting on 13 firms, same as you I'm gonna guess. Don't despair! I've been feeling really shitty in the past few weeks (has been a real challenge waking up in the morning to learn shit that I'm feeling I'll never get to use).

All 5 of my CBs came between last Friday and today. There is still hope for us, I am sure some firms will be contacting us pretty soon.
Congrats on your CBs!! Unfortunately my grades aren't really close to yours, haha. I've definitely been trying to not wallow in misery and self-loathing at this point but good god it's become hard to leave the house. Best of luck to you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats on your CBs!! Unfortunately my grades aren't really close to yours, haha. I've definitely been trying to not wallow in misery and self-loathing at this point but good god it's become hard to leave the house. Best of luck to you!
Don't feel like that, I wish I could tell you everything will be fine and that recruiters will just show up at your school all Oprah-like and start indiscriminately giving everyone offers. "You get an offer!" "You get an offer!" and "YOU get an offer!" but at this point all we can do is wait.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Top of the bottom 1/3 at MVP. 5 CBs so far, all in a secondary market to which I have ironclad ties (one post-CB ding, but quite frankly, from a firm that had no business giving me a CB in the first place). Hoping maybe I can get one or two more CBs on top of that. Also, struck out at NYC, lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top of the bottom 1/3 at MVP. 5 CBs so far, all in a secondary market to which I have ironclad ties (one post-CB ding, but quite frankly, from a firm that had no business giving me a CB in the first place). Hoping maybe I can get one or two more CBs on top of that. Also, struck out at NYC, lol.
I wish we could just start a support group for all of us bottom 1/3s at T-14s...

Anon 88

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 pm

Bottom 1/3 at lower T-14. 2 CBs from screeners, 2 from mass mail. Just did 1 yesterday. Honestly, kinda losing hope. At first, I felt pretty good about getting 4 CBs, but now I'm just worried as fuck. Have my next one on tuesday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top of the bottom 1/3 at MVP. 5 CBs so far, all in a secondary market to which I have ironclad ties (one post-CB ding, but quite frankly, from a firm that had no business giving me a CB in the first place). Hoping maybe I can get one or two more CBs on top of that. Also, struck out at NYC, lol.
I wish we could just start a support group for all of us bottom 1/3s at T-14s...

Anon 88
I'm pretty happy with my results so far; a lot of people around median are hovering in the same CB ballpark (and a not insignificant number of them have fewer CBs). I credit my success thus far with bidding conservatively and really focusing my job search on that secondary market. Making NYC my "fallback," as opposed to my target market, was key.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:21 am

Bottom third is a hard place. If an offer does not materialize is everyone willing to hang in for 2L. Your 2L grades should improve (with the elimination of the curve).

Admittedly, TLS lore is a bit mixed on how people fare if they have not secured an offer this go-around. Some claim your odds greatly diminish while others note that they have secured great offers. So, will a strong uptick in grades be of great help, or not?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 am

Hang in there guys!! I know it's hard, but push through this.
Anonymous User wrote:Bottom third is a hard place. If an offer does not materialize is everyone willing to hang in for 2L. Your 2L grades should improve (with the elimination of the curve).

Admittedly, TLS lore is a bit mixed on how people fare if they have not secured an offer this go-around. Some claim your odds greatly diminish while others note that they have secured great offers. So, will a strong uptick in grades be of great help, or not?
My situation is very different but I can share my experience. I received an offer from a lower V100. The next year I killed classes (2L year). After my summer, I was able to get an offer (as a 3L) from a V10 in primary market. Extreme example, but just shows you that huge jumps can happen if you keep plugging at it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:46 am

should i be worried with 5? I got a rejection from the first. Still waiting to do 3 of them...I don't usually get anxious but this is blowing my mind. Probably top of the bottom third at CCN...sorry for the panick

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:15 am

The odds are in your favor-- based on NYU's data, the callback:offer ratio for students with between a 3.0 and a 3.29 GPA was 43.2%, so with 4-5 callbacks, you have a very good shot at at least one offer.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:should i be worried with 5? I got a rejection from the first. Still waiting to do 3 of them...I don't usually get anxious but this is blowing my mind. Probably top of the bottom third at CCN...sorry for the panick
Whether you're bottom 1/3 at CCN or top 1/3 at HYS you should be concerned until you have an offer in hand. That being said, panicking gets you nowhere. Hopefully you've mass mailed and followed up with those. If not, keep plugging away at firms until you get something.

Whether your odds of landing something from 5 are good or not isn't particularly relevant, many people before you have tanked with more numerous callbacks than that while some others have hit every single one out of the park. All that matters to you is what happens to you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”