NYC Large Law Firms Responding? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Large Law Firms Responding?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:48 pm

So I sent out my resume to many NYC large law firms about 2-3 weeks ago.
I did not hear from ANY of them at all.
Could it be because they didn't like me, or more so because they are coming to my school's OCI (I didn't get an interview from bidding though)?
Have they started responding? - if so how long did it take for you to hear back?

Anonymous User

Re: NYC Large Law Firms Responding?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Well, did you hear back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Sent out 40+, got 3 interviews (only one at a bona fide NYC-based large firm), 2 dings. UT, Top 20%, Law Review. The response rate is very low for these sorts of things.

The ones who responded positively let me know within a week. One firm called me to set up an interview the day after I emailed them.

I'd say it's a lost cause at this point, but I could be wrong.

patentlaworbust

New

Post by patentlaworbust » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Mass Mailing is tricky business. Always keep in mind that the people processing your application on the firm's side are only human. There are thousands of applicants for very very few positions, so you have to expect that things slip through the cracks and your application may be unintentionally overlooked. With strong organization and a touch of persistence on your part, you'll be able to squeeze some extra interviews out of some of these no-contact firms.

If you're the organized type (I definitely was), I would recommend keeping a detailed spreadsheet with the information for each firm you've applied to. Keep 1 column open as "Notes" where you can update frequently with the date of your last correspondence to the firm, who you spoke to, and any other pertinent details.

Here was my timeline for things:

Week 0: Apply... email, online app, etc...

Week 2 or 3: If no contact, send a follow up email to the recruiter, hiring partner, or whoever is listed on that firm's site as being responsible for SAs. Say that you want to check on the status of your candidacy, if they need additional info, etc...

1-1.5 months after: If still no contact, make a phone call directly to the SA-responsible person at the firm. State your name, the dates you sent emails, and ask if any decision had been made regarding your candidacy. If they don't answer, leave a BRIEF voicemail stating the same.

After 2 weeks, I got no answer whatsoever from about ~85% of the NYC firms I applied to. Following up with a secondary email (step 2) got things moving at a good amount of the firms. Some contacted me back directly and apologized for the delay and gave me a timeline when I could actually expect to hear back. Others took this opportunity to DING me. A few even led to phone screeners! When ~65% remained that I didn't hear anything from, I began calling recruiters directly. Although I left a bunch of voice mails (some of which were returned with phone calls or emails), the recruiters I did get on the phone were extremely surprised to hear from me; baffled almost (but in a good way). The result was the same as the Step 2 emails (some dings, some interviews, some stalling).

This method led me a lot more screening interviews from mass-mailing than most of my fellow students.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Why would you expect to get an interview by mass mailing a firm that already dinged you for an OCI interview? Do you honestly think they'd say "Well, we don't like this kid enough to interview him at a convenient time when we'll already be on his campus...but we'll go out of our way to interview him."

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:31 am

blsingindisguise wrote:Why would you expect to get an interview by mass mailing a firm that already dinged you for an OCI interview? Do you honestly think they'd say "Well, we don't like this kid enough to interview him at a convenient time when we'll already be on his campus...but we'll go out of our way to interview him."
Because not everyone attends a TTT with 100% preselect OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:23 am

I've mailed about 20 firms and haven't gotten a response. I go to UVA, where our interviewing system is part preselect, and I've gotten enough interviews that way that I'm convinced that there's nothing terribly wrong with my materials.

I don't know. Maybe it's just slowness, but it does make me feel reluctant to keep mailing. Isn't NYC known for quickness during the OCI process?

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 am

blsingindisguise wrote:Why would you expect to get an interview by mass mailing a firm that already dinged you for an OCI interview? Do you honestly think they'd say "Well, we don't like this kid enough to interview him at a convenient time when we'll already be on his campus...but we'll go out of our way to interview him."
1. Some schools are lottery
2. Even if it's preselect, it's not like OCI gives the firm limitless interview slots to interview everyone they're interested in. If the firm has 12 interview slots, and 20-25 student they'd sincerely considering hiring, then there are students that would be benefited by mass mailing. Also some firms definitely yield protect (I can see it a bid through my preselect results). Reaching out might help to show some serious interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”