How much damage? Typo in thank you email. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much damage? Typo in thank you email.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:32 am

Had two CB's this week. In an the thank you email I sent the following day I began a sentence "I was great hearing ..." instead of "It was great hearing." The sentence wasn't in everyone's thank you (maybe half). Two of the people who got the emails with typos sent me back positive email responses (e.g. "it was a pleasure meeting with you as well"). Some how managed to have the same typo to two people from the second CB. All the interviews went well and I am pretty firmly within the firms school/grade range. Is this typo likely to effect my outcome? (Done sending Thank you notes after this experience).

specialsnowflake

New

Re: How much damage? Typo in thank you email.

Post by specialsnowflake » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:43 am

Don't know how it will hurt you but to be honest, I didn't even notice the difference and had to re-read it to find the error. I'd assume that the people reading them probably didn't even notice

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 am

specialsnowflake wrote:I didn't even notice the difference and had to re-read it to find the error.
Same.

apparentlynew

New

Post by apparentlynew » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:24 am

I noticed and dinged you, but I'm not at a law firm, so you're fine.

brewery33

New

Post by brewery33 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:50 am

Some how managed to have the same typo to two people from the second CB.
I think your problems are deeper then you know.

Such a looser.

#sarcasm

But you really need to have better writing skills.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ffpl

New

Post by ffpl » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:56 am

brewery33 wrote:
I think your problems are deeper then than you know.

trying to derail this thread as fast as possible with a discussion of sarcasm

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:58 am

Relax, you're fine.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:41 pm

brewery33 wrote:
I think your problems are deeper then you know.

Such a looser.

#sarcasm

But you really need to have better writing skills.
Dude, you're a fucking 0L. Get the fuck out.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had two CB's this week. In an the thank you email I sent the following day I began a sentence "I was great hearing ..." instead of "It was great hearing." The sentence wasn't in everyone's thank you (maybe half). Two of the people who got the emails with typos sent me back positive email responses (e.g. "it was a pleasure meeting with you as well"). Some how managed to have the same typo to two people from the second CB. All the interviews went well and I am pretty firmly within the firms school/grade range. Is this typo likely to effect my outcome? (Done sending Thank you notes after this experience).
Lesson learned - proof the hell out of everything you ever send to anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:12 pm

I had real issues with typos at the beginning of this process, too. I realized that, in order to write your professional stuff without typos, you need to practice by writing casual emails, text messages, and online message board postings correctly as well. I started to focus on always proofing everything, even text messages (including proper capitalization, apostrophes, and punctuation). I think it has helped, and I wish I had started doing this sooner.

That said, I am not sure interviewers always read thank-you emails. I heard from a somewhat reliable source that some don't.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Don't worry about it. You can't do anything at this point.

There may be some jerk out there who will ding you for it, but generally, at worst I think it would only hurt you if you were a cusp candidate. I only count emails against candidates if they are riddled with typos or have tone issues. I have seen far too many random typos in the work of people I respect (not to mention my own work) to count such a minor thing against an otherwise good candidate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 am

I had to read it twice to notice it. Let's hope they are so tired and busy they didn't notice it either (maybe they read it at the end of the day?). You will find out. Meanwhile, if it helps, I managed to get an interview with a typo in my cover letter. Three people who reviewed my cover letter missed the typo.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:46 am

IMO - This is why thank you notes are dangerous. If it was only one minor typo then you should be fine, but I've seen worse. If someone notices something they see as a glaring typo it comes off as sloppy.

Most of the time a thank you note isn't necessary, is barely read, and is so generic that it does nothing to help. The people who are interviewing you are interviewing are probably interviewing lots of people. Thank you notes are more important for interviews that are set up through a connection outside of a normal recruiting process where you really need to convince them to hire you instead of hiring no one.

memo2partner

New

Post by memo2partner » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Typos are killers brah. Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us. I sent out ten letters to Article III judges addressed as "The Honorably ..."

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:23 pm

It probably wont hurt you because the person probably wont notice.

One thing that has already been said and is worth repeating is this: proof read everything you write several times before sending it. That includes memos, briefs, resumes, cards, emails, etc... I learned the importance of this as a summer, but now that I've started work it is an even bigger deal, IMO.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:51 pm

Law people care about typos way more than they should. If I had to choose between, as an SA, sending out:

(a) an 8-page memo, well-written, with good, clear analysis, but with a typo in the first line; or
(b) a 3-page, average written, non-committal memo on the same subject, but with no typo;

I'd choose (b), which wouldn't get me yelled at. It probably shouldn't be that way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”