Kansas City Legal Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
letsdoit

Bronze

Kansas City Legal Market

Post by letsdoit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Would appreciate someone if someone fairly familiar with the KC biglaw market would PM me. I have some questions I've been unable to find the answers to. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Kansas City Legal Market

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:28 am

letsdoit wrote:Would appreciate someone if someone fairly familiar with the KC biglaw market would PM me. I have some questions I've been unable to find the answers to. Thanks!
I'm interested in this topic as well, if you'd like to ask your questions here rather than PM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 pm

I'm also interested in this topic as I'm currently in jobsearch mode for a 2L SA. I'll just ask some of my own questions:

How important are ties to the area? I'm at Iowa which has a strong alumni network in KC. I have a lot of family in KC, but not immediate family. I also have some good buddies living there. I go down there and visit quite a bit and am confident I'd like to live there. Is that enough to go on? KC is my legit #1 target market, so I want to make sure I convincingly express this.

Any information on lifestyle at the major firms? (I'm particularly thinking of Polsinelli, Lathrop & Gage, Shook, Spencer, Stinson...I feel like BC might be an outlier in terms of a traditional "biglaw" type of lifestyle, but I'm not sure). Any insight into these firms?

Any information on CB/offer ratios? I noticed from browsing around TLS that in the past Polsinelli in particular has interviewed a lot of candidates while only extending a few offers. Credited or rumor? Not that this would be an usual practice at a major firm.

Anyone want to weigh in on chances? at least top 25%/secondary journal. Would rather not say too much more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm also interested in this topic as I'm currently in jobsearch mode for a 2L SA. I'll just ask some of my own questions:

How important are ties to the area? I'm at Iowa which has a strong alumni network in KC. I have a lot of family in KC, but not immediate family. I also have some good buddies living there. I go down there and visit quite a bit and am confident I'd like to live there. Is that enough to go on? KC is my legit #1 target market, so I want to make sure I convincingly express this.

Any information on lifestyle at the major firms? (I'm particularly thinking of Polsinelli, Lathrop & Gage, Shook, Spencer, Stinson...I feel like BC might be an outlier in terms of a traditional "biglaw" type of lifestyle, but I'm not sure). Any insight into these firms?

Any information on CB/offer ratios? I noticed from browsing around TLS that in the past Polsinelli in particular has interviewed a lot of candidates while only extending a few offers. Credited or rumor? Not that this would be an usual practice at a major firm.

Anyone want to weigh in on chances? at least top 25%/secondary journal. Would rather not say too much more.
What do you mean by BC being an outlier? I have some experience there and think it's a good firm (not KC office, by the way..)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm also interested in this topic as I'm currently in jobsearch mode for a 2L SA. I'll just ask some of my own questions:

ties are super important...i've been questioned on whether or not i really want to return since i went to ug and law school out of state, even though my family still lives there and i worked there this past summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:25 pm

I guess what I mean is, I've heard anecdotal stories (AKA rumors) that their expectations as far as workload/ hours are closer in line to that of a large Chicago or NYC firm. Any truth to this? I also read on TLS while lurking that it is not uncommon for them to hire more 2L SA's than they need, and expect them to compete for permanent offers. It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it is more common for Midwest firms to hire approximately the number of SA's as they anticipate hiring permanently. Does this mesh with your experiences with BC? It may be helpful despite the fact that you weren't in KC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess what I mean is, I've heard anecdotal stories (AKA rumors) that their expectations as far as workload/ hours are closer in line to that of a large Chicago or NYC firm. Any truth to this? I also read on TLS while lurking that it is not uncommon for them to hire more 2L SA's than they need, and expect them to compete for permanent offers. It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it is more common for Midwest firms to hire approximately the number of SA's as they anticipate hiring permanently. Does this mesh with your experiences with BC? It may be helpful despite the fact that you weren't in KC.
cant speak to the past, but i've heard from several current BC KC SAs that the firm told them in advance that as long as no one had a major screw up, everyone would be getting an offer.

im also interested in the hours question-NALP lists their requirements as 1900, more or less on par with most other KC firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

ties are super important...i've been questioned on whether or not i really want to return since i went to ug and law school out of state, even though my family still lives there and i worked there this past summer.
+1. I was raised in KC, all of my family lives there, and I'm working there this summer, and I've still gotten grilled in every interview I do because I went to a T14 for law school.

Regarding lifestyle, it hasn't been my impression that Bryan Cave is more traditionally biglaw than any of the others. The only firm I've heard about being worse than any other is Husch (I've heard the term "sweatshop" used by two separate, unrelated sources).

ajeasley

New

Post by ajeasley » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Which schools generally provide the placement opportunities for biglaw in KC? Assuming ties to the area are equal, would someone be better off going to a T14 or one of the local second tier schools, and if so, which one(s)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:35 pm

ajeasley wrote:Which schools generally provide the placement opportunities for biglaw in KC? Assuming ties to the area are equal, would someone be better off going to a T14 or one of the local second tier schools, and if so, which one(s)?
I'm at V, and I know we place into BC in KC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ajeasley wrote:Which schools generally provide the placement opportunities for biglaw in KC? Assuming ties to the area are equal, would someone be better off going to a T14 or one of the local second tier schools, and if so, which one(s)?
At a T20 (not WUSTL) and we also place into BC KC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ha, I'm also at V. Sort of surprised there's more than one of us here.

To ajeasley: almost everyone I've met in KC biglaw has come from KU, Mizzou, UMKC, WUSTL, or a T14. A few random other schools. But it seems like your grades have to be fantastic from the state schools.

ajeasley

New

Post by ajeasley » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks for the information; it sounds like what I was expecting.

I'm currently in the military and won't be applying to schools for several years, but my wife is from the area and I love the city. Would it be safe to assume it would be a very difficult market to break into, even from a T14?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 pm

ajeasley wrote:Thanks for the information; it sounds like what I was expecting.

I'm currently in the military and won't be applying to schools for several years, but my wife is from the area and I love the city. Would it be safe to assume it would be a very difficult market to break into, even from a T14?
not necessarily. if you have the ties (and I know someone who is an SA at a major biglaw firm there and his only tie to KC is his significant other), my experience is you don't have to do nearly as well as going to a local school. for example someone from my t20 is above, but not that far above median and has an SA in the city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:01 pm

anyone have any insight on Polsinelli?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:45 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:37 am

probably firms that pay market, which is about $100K, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:11 am

target wrote:probably firms that pay market, which is about $100K, right?
its my understanding that polsinelli and BC pay the most (115), then shook pays 110, and the rest are either 105 or 100.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Shook pays 5k above market i believe, they also have the highest avg partner pay in kc--but they're mostly litigation and I've heard that transactional people don't stand a chance there.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:31 pm

does anyone know what the cost of living in KC is? How does it compared to MN since MN firms pay around $125?

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:03 pm

target wrote:does anyone know what the cost of living in KC is? How does it compared to MN since MN firms pay around $125?
Extremely reasonable. Lived in KC and the surrounding area for years, and it's extremely affordable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shook pays 5k above market i believe, they also have the highest avg partner pay in kc--but they're mostly litigation and I've heard that transactional people don't stand a chance there.
shook is basically products liability litigation.

Roberts8000

New

Post by Roberts8000 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Whether you come from a T14 school or not, ties to the area are important. If you go to a T14 and have ties to the area, that's great. You'll still get grilled about your commitment to KC because with so many candidates out there for so few positions, firms want to make sure that they're investing one of their slots in someone who will return.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Roberts8000 wrote:
Whether you come from a T14 school or not, ties to the area are important. If you go to a T14 and have ties to the area, that's great. You'll still get grilled about your commitment to KC because with so many candidates out there for so few positions, firms want to make sure that they're investing one of their slots in someone who will return.
cbs from BC, Husch, Shook and Polsinelli.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Roberts8000 wrote:
cbs from BC, Husch, Shook and Polsinelli.
congrats! can you share how you got them? through OCI? Mass mail? or Job fairs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”