Using one interview as leverage for another interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Using one interview as leverage for another interview

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Rising 2L at T10 school, have a pre-OCI interview lined up with a top firm in my small home market.

Would it be a smart move to say to other firms in the city something like "I will be in CITY on X Date because I have an interview with FIRM Y, and I wanted to let you know that it I would available that week if any of your attorneys would be interested in meeting with me."? Or would this just make me seem presumptuous?

Alternatively, would it be a better idea to mention that I'll be in town on those dates and not mention the other interview?

sambeber

Bronze

Re: Using one interview as leverage for another interview

Post by sambeber » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:41 pm

The second half of your proposed message is somehow more presumptuous than the first.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:55 pm

sambeber wrote:The second half of your proposed message is somehow more presumptuous than the first.
So I take it you wouldn't recommend doing either?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Actually isn't it fairly common for people to send in apps and then be like "I'm going to be in X city for a week"? I mean, I've gotten screeners that way.

I don't know about the part where you say it's because you have an interview with firm Y, but the above sounds fine to me.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:09 pm

"I will be in CITY from XX to XX and will be available to interview throughout that period. If you would like to set up an interview, please contact me at PHONE or EMAIL."

...as the end of a cover letter.

Don't name drop other firms. It's tacky.
Last edited by sambeber on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Reprisal

Bronze

Post by Reprisal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be a smart move to say to other firms in the city something like "I will be in CITY on X Date because I have an interview with FIRM Y, and I wanted to let you know that it I would available that week if any of your attorneys would be interested in meeting with me."?
"I will be in CITY on X Date for an interview, but I am particularly interested in your firm and its practice. If your office decides, based up my attached cover letter and re'sume', that it is interested in me as a summer associate candidate, I would be happy to meet with you during my stay."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Reprisal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would it be a smart move to say to other firms in the city something like "I will be in CITY on X Date because I have an interview with FIRM Y, and I wanted to let you know that it I would available that week if any of your attorneys would be interested in meeting with me."?
"I will be in CITY on X Date for an interview, but I am particularly interested in your firm and its practice. If your office decides, based up my attached cover letter and re'sume', that it is interested in me as a summer associate candidate, I would be happy to meet with you during my stay."
This. If they want to know which firm you're interviewing with, they can ask you. I used the above strategy a couple years back and got an offer from the leveraged interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”