BigLaw questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
crazi4law

New

BigLaw questions

Post by crazi4law » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Hey guys, I have 3 quick questions about BigLaw:

1. Do BigLaw firms (except Wachtell-Lipton) pay more or less the same in terms of salary and in terms of exit opportunities?
2. How much does the law school that you went to matter after you get your first job?
3. How hard is it to get a BigLaw job coming from a T14 (excluding T6) school compared to a T6 school?

Thanks!

Law Sauce

Silver

Re: BigLaw questions

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:51 pm

crazi4law wrote:Hey guys, I have 3 quick questions about BigLaw:

1. Do BigLaw firms (except Wachtell-Lipton) pay more or less the same in terms of salary and in terms of exit opportunities?
2. How much does the law school that you went to matter after you get your first job?
3. How hard is it to get a BigLaw job coming from a T14 (excluding T6) school compared to a T6 school?

Thanks!
1. Most all pay the same per market. Every firm in NYC pays 160k for example. Smaller markets there will be more variability.
2. Still matters. I have heard that firms often want to know school and grades for lateral associates. Wont matter after you have your own business years down the line.
3. Easier at T6 by 10-20% of the class. Very roughly 50% of the class at VBPMDC gets big law (some a little more or less). At UChi and Columbia it usually said to be closer to 60%-70%. People at all these schools have many of the same options at the top of the class.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”