should i bid on kirkland nyc? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UVA Cavalier

New

Re: should i bid on kirkland nyc?

Post by UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:i have a decent shot given my gpa and school. want to do litigation. the only reason i wouldn't is that i just hear really very negative things about the firm atmosphere and culture from pretty much anyone who has experience there. thoughts?
I have a cousin at Kirkland NYC and he says it's a sweatshop, even by New York standards.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:57 am

UVA Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have a decent shot given my gpa and school. want to do litigation. the only reason i wouldn't is that i just hear really very negative things about the firm atmosphere and culture from pretty much anyone who has experience there. thoughts?
I have a cousin at Kirkland NYC and he says it's a sweatshop, even by New York standards.
Another K&E anon here. Yeah, we work hard, but at least we're compensated accordingly (to a degree). Just lol at Cravath-scale bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Another KE anon here. Saying KE is a sweatshop is stupid, since every V10 is a sweatshop. Presumably, the differentiating factor is pay.

Regarding office transfers: assuming reviews are good (not hard to do), transferring is easy so long as there's a need. You probably won't be able to transfer to the Hong Kong office as a litigator, for example. SF is not hard, but is plenty easier for corporate and IP associates, since the CA offices are very PE and IP focused.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Other K&E anon.

Exactly to what was said above. You're going to work hard wherever you go in this range of firms. You might as well get paid more and like the people you work for.

And if you're looking to summer here, have an amazing summer full of incredible meals, fun events, and minimal work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:35 pm

If you're an average biller - whatever that means (2000? 2200?) - then how far above market are bonuses? Or are they above at all?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:30 pm

K&E NYC also has some of the most socially well adjusted lawyers among the top flight shops. Personally, I'd rather go out and chill with my coworkers than just be polite or whatever. I mean, when your working 70+ hour weeks with these bros, minus well hit the bars and frat hard after work. amirite?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're an average biller - whatever that means (2000? 2200?) - then how far above market are bonuses? Or are they above at all?
I think firm average is 2200 (but restructuring is like 2500 average) IIRC. Last year, the average bonus was something like 2x the Cravath-scale bonus. It's based on a matrix of your hours and your review.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&E NYC also has some of the most socially well adjusted lawyers among the top flight shops. Personally, I'd rather go out and chill with my coworkers than just be polite or whatever. I mean, when your working 70+ hour weeks with these bros, minus well hit the bars and frat hard after work. amirite?
Where the hell did this 'frat out' and 'work hard play hard' meme come from?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”