Should everyone mass mail? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should everyone mass mail?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 am

At what point is it safe (or probably safe) to not mass mail and rely on OCI?

fatduck

Gold

Re: Should everyone mass mail?

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 am

when you don't care about getting a job

hardcorepawn

New

Post by hardcorepawn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:05 am

As long as you are top 1/2 at a top 50 school OCI should be good enough for you. If you are below the median then I would probably go ahead and mail some firms where you are from

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 am

hardcorepawn wrote:As long as you are top 1/2 at a top 50 school OCI should be good enough for you. If you are below the median then I would probably go ahead and mail some firms where you are from
Mediocre first post trolling

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:08 am

fatduck wrote:when you don't care about getting a job

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hardcorepawn

New

Post by hardcorepawn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:18 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
hardcorepawn wrote:As long as you are top 1/2 at a top 50 school OCI should be good enough for you. If you are below the median then I would probably go ahead and mail some firms where you are from
I mean you can never 100% guarantee a job but if you are in that position you are most likely going to be getting your job through OCI-- like I said mailing a few apps to firms where you live can always be helpful but OCI is most likely going to take care of you (assuming your school is in a market you want)

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 am

hardcorepawn wrote:
I mean you can never 100% guarantee a job but if you are in that position you are most likely going to be getting your job through OCI-- like I said mailing a few apps to firms where you live can always be helpful but OCI is most likely going to take care of you (assuming your school is in a market you want)
Spoken like a troll or someone who had NO idea what's going on.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:20 am

hardcorepawn wrote:
Top half? You think the top half of people at T1 schools get jobs through OCI. You've gotta be shitting me. Top half??

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 am

hardcorepawn wrote:
loool

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hardcorepawn

New

Post by hardcorepawn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:30 am

Jeez I'm not saying that everyone in the top half of those schools gets jobs through OCI, obviously there is more to the app-- All I'm saying is that if you are in that position you should be feeling relatively confident that you will get at least ONE job offer through OCI and mass mailing is probably relatively optional-- You can do it if you want or if you want to be in another market but if you just want a job you should be set

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:31 am

hardcorepawn wrote:Jeez I'm not saying that everyone in the top half of those schools gets jobs through OCI, obviously there is more to the app-- All I'm saying is that if you are in that position you should be feeling relatively confident that you will get at least ONE job offer through OCI and mass mailing is probably relatively optional-- You can do it if you want or if you want to be in another market but if you just want a job you should be set
This sounds like some straight 0L shit. Top half of T50 is NOT in a good spot for OCI.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:33 am

hardcorepawn wrote:Jeez I'm not saying that everyone in the top half of those schools gets jobs through OCI, obviously there is more to the app-- All I'm saying is that if you are in that position you should be feeling relatively confident that you will get at least ONE job offer through OCI and mass mailing is probably relatively optional-- You can do it if you want or if you want to be in another market but if you just want a job you should be set
why did you decide to make a new username and give terrible advice?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:34 am

This is the wrongest thing I've ever seen in the history of TLS. Top half is not good enough for OCI jobs at most Top 50 schools. Even top 5% at T1 schools can and do strike out and you would have to be a complete moron not to be massmailing your ass off no matter what

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:36 am

I was in the top 5% at MVP and still massmailed. There are probably good firms you're interested in that aren't coming to your school's OCI, and it costs you almost nothing to get more applications out there. On top of that, it's more practice writing cover letters, and if you get more interviews more practice interviewing. I really see no reason for anybody to not work it in to their strategy.

Ever year some people have tough luck. If you don't get good at interviewing until after your first round screening interviews, your grades might not save you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was in the top 5% at MVP and still massmailed. There are probably good firms you're interested in that aren't coming to your school's OCI, and it costs you almost nothing to get more applications out there. On top of that, it's more practice writing cover letters, and if you get more interviews more practice interviewing. I really see no reason for anybody to not work it in to their strategy.

Ever year some people have tough luck. If you don't get good at interviewing until after your first round screening interviews, your grades might not save you.
Fair enough; what would you consider massmailing? 20 firms? 100? 500?

hardcorepawn

New

Post by hardcorepawn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:53 am

This is the wrongest thing I've ever seen in the history of TLS. Top half is not good enough for OCI jobs at most Top 50 schools. Even top 5% at T1 schools can and do strike out and you would have to be a complete moron not to be massmailing your ass off no matter what
If you strike out when you are top 5%, then mass mailing isn't going to help your cause, you are prolly a bad interviewer. And to the poster that was top 5% at MVP, did you get your job through OCI or through mass mailing? Also I don't feel I am giving terrible advice, you can obviously mass mail if you want to and it's never going to hurt but if OP is in the position I described then he/she should be feeling relatively confident going into August

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 am

hardcorepawn wrote:And to the poster that was top 5% at MVP, did you get your job through OCI or through mass mailing?
I got offers from both.

You won't know how good of an interviewer you are until you start, but no matter what your skill, the more interviews/CBs the better your odds.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 am

Yes, of course there are people who don't need to mass mail. If you are satisfied with the firms who are coming to OCI, and you have enough screeners to be certain of a job given your grades, then forget the mailing. There's no formula which will tell this to you, but, for example, if you have good grades at a CLS and are aiming at NYC, you'll be fine with OCI.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:57 am

hardcorepawn wrote:
If you strike out when you are top 5%, then mass mailing isn't going to help your cause, you are prolly a bad interviewer. And to the poster that was top 5% at MVP, did you get your job through OCI or through mass mailing? Also I don't feel I am giving terrible advice, you can obviously mass mail if you want to and it's never going to hurt but if OP is in the position I described then he/she should be feeling relatively confident going into August
Spoken like someone who had never been through OCI.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:59 am

ben4847 wrote:Yes, of course there are people who don't need to mass mail. If you are satisfied with the firms who are coming to OCI, and you have enough screeners to be certain of a job given your grades, then forget the mailing. There's no formula which will tell this to you, but, for example, if you have good grades at a CLS and are aiming at NYC, you'll be fine with OCI.
Nope. This is dumb. Everyone should mail. As an example, I know a dude who went 0/18 on OCI screeners with top third grades from Vanderbilt. Got an offer from mailing.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:02 am

hardcorepawn wrote:
0ls shouldn't be posting in the legal employment forum.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:17 am

rad lulz wrote:
ben4847 wrote:Yes, of course there are people who don't need to mass mail. If you are satisfied with the firms who are coming to OCI, and you have enough screeners to be certain of a job given your grades, then forget the mailing. There's no formula which will tell this to you, but, for example, if you have good grades at a CLS and are aiming at NYC, you'll be fine with OCI.
Nope. This is dumb. Everyone should mail. As an example, I know a dude who went 0/18 on OCI screeners with top third grades from Vanderbilt. Got an offer from mailing.
Top 1/3 at Vandy is not the same as good grades at Columbia

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:22 am

I'm struggling with this right now as well. Somewhere in the top 5% at a 90s TT and transferring to B.

Moral of the story, no matter what you should mail?

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:33 am

hardcorepawn wrote:

Just. Stop. Talking. shhhhhh

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:39 am

drmguy wrote:I'm struggling with this right now as well. Somewhere in the top 5% at a 90s TT and transferring to B.

Moral of the story, no matter what you should mail?
seems to be some disagreement about this

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”